Sister is bleeding, is this a sign of labor or a warning sign? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 07-19-2006, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi- my sister saw her OB today and she was 3.5 cm/90% effaced and her OB said she expected labor soon by the way she was progressing over the last month. Anyway that's all relative as you can never really predict with any certainty when labor will take place. She is only 35 weeks but her doctor said she would not stop her labor because her baby seems very large and she does not have GD or any other complication and has had a normal uneventful second pregnancy. Now to the question. She is bleeding. Not alot but not a little. She said the blood is red. It's not soaking a pad but is present everytime she wipes and on her panty liner. Her doctor has asked her to go to the hospital at the first sign of labor b/c she had an extremely short 1st birth. Her bag of waters was ruptured and she delivered within 3 hours. She is having mild contractions about 10-15 min for the last 3/4 hours. Is the blood a normal occurence? She wants to do most of her labor at home and would like to wait as long as the blood is not a warning sign. Any advice would be much appreciated. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-19-2006, 11:12 PM

Could be a small portion of the placenta is peeling away from the uterine wall already. If she isn't already at the hospital and it hasn't stopped, but gotten worse, she needs to go in. A little bleeding at the beginning that stops is sometimes the cervix(did they strip her membranes when she went to the doc?- sometimes they do this without telling the mom). So it all depends. What is happening now? Are the ctx closer together? when they are 2-3 min apart, she should go to the hospital, or just plan on catching the baby at home... But if she is bleeding more, I would go in to rule out abrupted placenta. Very unusual in a healthy pregnancy, does she smoke?(smokers have a much higher risk of having one).
#3 of 8 Old 07-19-2006, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Not a smoker. The doctor did not strip her membranes. The internal was very very minimal. She didn't want to disturb anything at 35 weeks and cause "pre-term" labor probably. The blood is still there and still red not turning dark. Contractions are still 10-15 apart. Not alot of pain and some burning in the vagina area(which to me is a signal of dialation possible occuring). Other than that nothing has changed. She did say that when the baby moves she is having sharp pain very low at the bottom of her uterus near the pubic bone. Her placenta was located about 8 weeks ago by 3-d ultrasound and is at the top of her uterus on the left side. She is 35 wks 5 days to be exact.

#4 of 8 Old 07-20-2006, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Blood is always scary in pregnancy, isn't it? How's she doing?

hh2.gif

#5 of 8 Old 07-20-2006, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

She is doing fine. She got some sleep last night. She says that this morning she passed another large amount of mucous and still has the bleeding. With her last birth she almost fully effaced and dialated to 3 prior to allowing the doctors to break her waters when she was about 1 week past her EDD. She is hoping she will go into labor naturally this time. Her baby seems large but in actuality I think he is just going to be long like 22 1/2''. Her husband was that long and to me that is long. She has a fear he will be to large for her to birth. Her last child was 8lbs. and health care professionals always seem to comment on how small her pelvis is? So she is back to work this morning and said she would call her OB to let her know but I'm sure the OB won't think anything of it. She said she wasn't planning on going into the office.
#6 of 8 Old 07-21-2006, 03:20 AM

the sharp pain low in the uterus near the pubic bone may be the baby's head pressing on the pubic bone(pinching the lower segment of uterus. That may be where the bleeding is coming from, but i think it is unusual. What position is the bb in, do you know? 35 weeks is a little early for "normal" labor. (I am wondering if the doc isn't being a little cavalier here....)but it could be the cervix stretching. hmmm, I am going to go research this one.keep us posted, OK? thanks. And she is 36 weeks, by now, so this is probably prodromal labor...
#7 of 8 Old 07-21-2006, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

She still hasn't gone into active labor. Not sure if she is bleeding today, but she is passing large amounts of mucous. She did speak with her doctors office and the nurse said that they do not send patients to the hospital for "bloody show". I think that this is just the early stages of labor for her. She said she had a very painful contraction and then went to the bathroom to dicover mucous. The baby is head down. She keeps a monitor on her dialation and effacement and she said there isn't much change there. I don't think you can get much beyond 80% effaced so she will be 37 weeks on Thurs. and she and her OB have planned to break her waters on Aug. 1 if she has not gone into labor by then. Again, she is wanting to avoid a c-section and another OB tried to talk her into an elective at her visit after finding that she had an extremely small pelvis, needless to say, she switched doctors. I'll keep ya posted.
#8 of 8 Old 07-22-2006, 04:19 PM

Yes, you can be 100% effaced and still not be in active labor, particularly if this isn't the first baby. So she is probably in prodromal labor, and i would encourage her to Stay HOme until the ctx are 2-3 min apart, and 60-90 seconds long. That way when she gets to the hospital she will probably be too far along to try to cut open again. However, word of warning-- I do know of cases where the doc has pushed the baby *back into the uterus* and sent the mom to the OR.....so just want to let you know...if your sister can sleep, so much the better . it conserves her energy. oH, and I would NOT go in for induction on Aug 1...the ctx are much harder, and it's harder on the baby to try to deal with....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page