Recently separated - struggling with child separation - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 02-19-2019, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Recently separated - struggling with child separation

I am recently separated out of a toxic and emotionally abusive relationship in which I did 90% of the caretaking. Now that we are separated, he wants her 50% of the time... she is only 3 years old. I already found the separation from her when she started pre school and I added a 5th day of day care, but now I see her even less.

My heart aches for her and longs for her when I pass by her empty room in the house. I can't help but wonder if she feels as heart broken. Maybe even a bit abandoned? The other day as her dad came, she looked away when I wanted a hug to say goodbye.

Can someone who has been through a separation and had less time with their child share their experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-26-2019, 10:08 AM

I am going through almost the same thing. My son has recently not wanted to come to house, does not acknowledge my excitement to see him, doesn't want to hug or kiss me goodbye....he's only 2. Have you found anything that has worked for you?
#3 of 3 Old 05-28-2019, 11:20 AM

Before we split, I did most of the childcare and household tasks, even while working outside the home fulltime and even overtime when my ex couldn't keep a job. After we split I had a really hard time at the beginning letting them go to his place a quarter of the time but it did get easier. Eventually I began to enjoy having "me" time away from the kids and I think I became an even better parent. Then my ex opted to move 6 hours away and suddenly I had the kids all the time and no more breaks.

Tags
50% , child separation , separation , separation anxiety , single parent

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page