I did it. I'm selling my house and moving off the grid. - Mothering Forums

#1 of 22 Old 08-17-2007, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Wife to 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 Beast 
Mama to 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 Crash (18), 
Spritely (16), and
A-Babe (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 08-17-2007, 03:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrats!! I won't talk you out of it Do you live in an area where you can do straw-bale construction? I SO want a straw bale house
#3 of 22 Old 08-17-2007, 03:09 AM

that's wonderful...off grid living is a fantastic experience. I only wish I was still at it!

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#4 of 22 Old 08-17-2007, 06:19 AM

Congratulations! and good luck!!
#5 of 22 Old 08-17-2007, 11:30 AM

congrats, momma! how wonderful to be able to follow your dreams....

i will admit...i'm quite jealous!
#6 of 22 Old 08-17-2007, 11:44 AM

Wow... good for you, mama! Sounds like an incredible adventure you have ahead of you. Your DC will really benefit. Good luck with everything!
#7 of 22 Old 08-17-2007, 12:04 PM

Congrats!! That sounds wonderful!

Kerry, loving wife to Pete, mama to DD (14) DS1 (9) DS2 (3) & Expecting someone new Jan 2013

#8 of 22 Old 08-17-2007, 01:01 PM

What an adventure! I'm sure it will all start to fall into place and be wonderful. I've been toying with this idea a little too lately...
#9 of 22 Old 08-17-2007, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Wife to 
 Beast 
Mama to 
 Crash (18), 
Spritely (16), and
A-Babe (2)
#10 of 22 Old 08-17-2007, 02:35 PM

Wow, this sounds so exciting! I really hope you'll keep us posted on your progress!

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#11 of 22 Old 08-17-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrigible View Post
I haven't researched hay bails yet much, actually. I might look into it more and see if there is a good way of overcoming moisture related issues. The little skimming I've done on hay bail construction implies it won't be great for the area I'm looking at.

I'm strongly leaning toward a combo of underground and dirtbag construction. I'm thinking of doing underground with as much found material as I can and all the above ground structures dirtbag with thatched roofs. I found a simple design to set up a rainwater collection system off thatched roofs, too, which was my only major concern with them. As I said, my research isn't done yet, though. I may end up with something entirely different once it is. lol
Yeah, that's the issue I've run into with straw-bale. We're in the PNW, so it's too wet for us, too. I just love the look of them, really deep window sills and thick walls.

I wrote my term paper a few semsters ago on "green building" and found a couple really good books. If I can find my paper, I'll send you info on some good books I used.
#12 of 22 Old 08-17-2007, 04:52 PM

YAY. I'm super excited for you. I read a lot of information on building your own home. It's a dream
of mine too. One of my favorite stories is about a waitress who built her own log home, then it burned
down just as she had finished. So she built it AGAIN!

Actually Mother Earth News has inspired me in so many ways on this topic. If your not familiar with it
you should definitely get a subscription.

-Janna, independent mother of dd, Ms. Mattie Sky born on my 25th birthday, 06*23*2000. My Mama Feb.21,1938-Sept.10,2006
#13 of 22 Old 08-17-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity6232000 View Post
YAY. I'm super excited for you. I read a lot of information on building your own home. It's a dream
of mine too. One of my favorite stories is about a waitress who built her own log home, then it burned
down just as she had finished. So she built it AGAIN!

Actually Mother Earth News has inspired me in so many ways on this topic. If your not familiar with it
you should definitely get a subscription.

That was a great story...very inspiring! I remember reading it over and over..thinking "one day........."

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#14 of 22 Old 08-17-2007, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Woo-Hoo!!

This house is my inspiration. I don't know how feasible it would be to do something like this in the US, but I just love the idea of it
http://www.simondale.net/house/index.htm

Robin~ single
momma to my 2 teen-aged Wonderboys
#15 of 22 Old 08-17-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubelin View Post
Woo-Hoo!!

This house is my inspiration. I don't know how feasible it would be to do something like this in the US, but I just love the idea of it
http://www.simondale.net/house/index.htm
OOoooooohhhh I love it! the kids would go ga-ga over that
#16 of 22 Old 08-18-2007, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

Wife to 
 Beast 
Mama to 
 Crash (18), 
Spritely (16), and
A-Babe (2)
#17 of 22 Old 08-18-2007, 03:18 AM

Also, look into monolithic domes. They hold up during all natural disasters. Even on the beach during hurricanes. Infact, tearing them down is hard, and even a bomb won't do it. They blow up this hot air balloon type thing for the shape, and then spray on concrete. That's the only thing you NEED to hire out for, which costs about $50,000. That and plumbing and electrical. Then you finish the inside. Maybe stucco? So southwest and romantic. Anyway, they're suppose to stay warm and cool naturally. Plus, circular living spaces feel good! And you can add on really easily. If you just do one dome with a sliding glass door, later you can add another, and connect them, and some places look just like a big vesica pisces.
#18 of 22 Old 08-18-2007, 03:22 AM

Btw, you Mom sounds So supportive. You're really lucky!
#19 of 22 Old 08-18-2007, 03:37 AM

that is so exciting
#20 of 22 Old 08-18-2007, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubelin View Post
I LOVE THIS HOUSE!!!

Oh and Incorrigible, I love the floor-idea! Gardenstones would look soo cool!
#21 of 22 Old 08-19-2007, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Wife to 
 Beast 
Mama to 
 Crash (18), 
Spritely (16), and
A-Babe (2)
#22 of 22 Old 09-07-2007, 01:12 PM

This has really inspired me. Are there any forums or websites that I should know about? I went to Mother Earth News, thanks.

I live in a really expensive area and can't even afford to live close to family or in my own home town. On top of that there's a lot of building laws here. For example, if you want to live outside of a subdivision, you home has to be on as least 35 acres. There's also a lot of off earth conscious off the grid types here, who could maybe give me the lowdown, but finding them if the problem.

I have some money saved up, and I could do this. I live in a 2nd floor apartment right now, because it's all I can find. I have a section 8 voucher. I've wanted to live close to nature so bad, for so long. If I do this, it will have to be in a neighboring county, unless there's a loophole. My Grandma has 10 acres in the mountains, but they already have an illegal structure on it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page