Another nitpicky question from me! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 05-27-2009, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Sorry for another nitpicky question from me about ttc with frozen sperm- but I just was wondering and I don't really know who to ask IRL!

Thawing the vial question:
Is there a better or worse way to do this? We have just taken it out of the tank, put it on the table for 10 minutes, and then check it for the next 10 or so until it looks thawed ( moves when we tip it) and then warmed it for a short time under the arm.

I was just reading about how people actually put the vial in a thermos of warm water. Is this a better way? If so how warm and for how long? I know the tank will usually come with thawing instructions but I guess ours haven't been that helpful. I am unsure if it is good to put the frozen vial right into warm water, if it might shock it. I guess I need details of the best way to thaw, how long, etc.
If anyone would be willing to detail the best way to thaw I would greatly appreciate it. Is it best ot get it a bit warm? How long do you thaw it for, and how do you know when it is ready to go? also, is it okay that we tipped it to see if it was thawed?

Any details much appreciated! I am trying to get this all sorted so when it comes to it I can relax as much as possible. I think this is our last attempt at at home and then I would try an IUI so I am hoping to get this right! Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-27-2009, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hey Katie,

I always just let it thaw on the table until it was sort of liquid, then put it in my bra until it was time to inseminate. I'd be freaked about putting it directly into warm water- seems like the abrupt temperature change could crack the vial, you know?

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#3 of 5 Old 05-27-2009, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We would take it out of the tank and set it on the nightstand until it was not so cold that it couldn't be handled. Then I put it in my bra for 8-10 minutes. I read somewhere that the faster you warm it up, the better the sperm wake up. I would very much recommend to NOT warm it up in warm water.

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.

#4 of 5 Old 05-27-2009, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Okay- thanks you guys. I think I will do what you guys both said- wihch was pretty much what we have been doing, except we let it sit for aobut 20 minutes and only held it close to the body for a couple minutes. I will try letting it thaw 10 minutes or so and then warming it close to my body for ten or so. Thanks!
#5 of 5 Old 05-28-2009, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you google, and check page 135 of Jamison Green's Becoming a Visible Man, you'll find a passage that I loved on how to thaw sperm. It's on Google books.

Your partner may find it helpful, too.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page