Any other mami and papi's ?? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 09-07-2007, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
My partner and I are a Mami and Papi pair. So far, we only know one other lesbian couple who aren't two mommies... Any others out there?

Our kids are 4 and 5 months.

Chance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 09-07-2007, 04:11 PM

My partner and I are currently ttc so no little one to call names yet but I will be mama and Jake will be papa or daddy. This is mostly because of Jake's gender identity as a genderqueer butch dyke. He uses male pronouns too but has no intention of using hormones or changing his gender markers on identification.

Queer poly family trying since October 2006. Currently using a known donor and no medical interventions.
#3 of 6 Old 09-08-2007, 01:53 PM

We use Mama and Baba, as my partner is trans-identified, but it's complex as DP uses different pronouns in different settings (work, friends, family, etc.), so we wanted something sort of "all-purpose" for the kid to use so that we weren't teaching the kid that one word was okay at home, but not at grandpas...

#4 of 6 Old 09-11-2007, 03:44 AM

we are another couple with a trans-identified daddy-to-be (I will be Mommy, and he will be Daddy, as soon as the wee one shows their face!)

i have met another family with a gender-questioning partner who does not identify as 'mom' and does not want to be known as 'dad' cause of the social ramnifications of being identified (by others) as female and yet being 'dad' -- when i last spoke to them, they had not decided what this partner's label would be.
#5 of 6 Old 09-11-2007, 02:03 PM

My wife isn't trans, but in a perfect world would love to be called dad or daddy. She isn't considering it because of the social ramifications of it, especially because she doesn't look very masculine (her hair is most of the way down her back). But... in a perfect world...
#6 of 6 Old 09-12-2007, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

When we were pregnant with my daughter, I asked my partner why she didn't just ust "daddy", but as you mention, triciaandann, it's not a perfect world!
We chose Papi and Mami because we both feel a little outside the norms. My partner is more butch than trans, but sometimes that differs with the day. I myself identify as a femme, but not in a het way, so I just balked at being "mommy". Even though they sound the same and mean the same to my kids, it made a difference to me.
I have been surprised by how many butch-femme couples we've known who have opted for mommy/mom, mama/mommy, etc. It's obviously harder to wrap my mind around than theirs!
Chance

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page