tips for babywearing really big baby - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 01-27-2015, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter
cww

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
tips for babywearing really big baby

Our DD is almost 11m and is already probably close to 30 lbs. She is growing out of 2T clothing already and will probably be into 3T clothes before her first birthday. I have a woven wrap that I use to carry her in, using what I think is the standard front carry (crisscrossed across my back, and wrapped twice around my waist). The problem is that it really messes up my back, my shoulders, and my hips to carry her for any length of time. I end up doing it, because she really prefers to be worn, and because I want to be able to wear her for as long as possible. But the pain is really interfering with my ability to function (in particular, even with lots of core exercises intended to correct for this, I'm still having lots of trouble sleeping because of the pain).

So I was hoping some of you here might have some tips for carrying a large baby in a way that is better for hips/back/shoulders? I have thought about trying a back carry, but I'm not sure how on earth one does that in the winter when three layers of clothing and heavy coats are necessary? (I will need to wear a heavy coat for months yet, and a lightweight coat into early summer here.) Is it possible to back carry with a coat on? And can babies sleep in a back carry (she still falls asleep some of the time while being carried)?

I'm hoping some of you might have tips or suggestions? I'm generally in good shape (I climb the 7.5 flights of stairs to our apartment at least 4 times per day, and lift heavy stuff plenty of the time), but I had lots of problems with SPD with both pregnancies, and my hips/back have never fully recovered, which may be part of the problem.

Thanks in advance for reading my post!

DD born at 40w2d on 1/19/2011
DD born at 40w1d on 3/1/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-05-2015, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter
cww

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Just wondering again if anyone has any tips?

DD born at 40w2d on 1/19/2011
DD born at 40w1d on 3/1/2014
#3 of 6 Old 02-07-2015, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I find supportive carriers that crisscross over both shoulders important once they stop being tiny newborns, but I see you have that covered. An ergo is the most supportive easy on carrier, I've never used one but always wished I had one while mine were not walking yet. Back carry is great, yes they'll fall asleep that way. I can't think how to wear a coat, maybe a cloak I've worn one over carriers before, or the traditional Eskimo solution, an amauti?

#4 of 6 Old 02-09-2015, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Look into babyhawk mei tai carrier. They have a toddler hawk version that might work. I have the babyhawk one now and plan to get the toddlerhawk one.
#5 of 6 Old 02-10-2015, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 350 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I back carry in a big winter coat with my LO in a big winter coat too. Nice and snuggly. (the thing to remember is that the hanging feet get cold the fastest while everything else is toasty so bundle those feet!)

Now with the bigger weight (25-35 lbs) and size ( 3-4 years old), the Ergo has been hands down the best for this kind of trekking. In a back carry. I do start with the buckles way looser than they will end up, just to be able to swing the carrier shoulder straps over my shoulders and the big coats from behind - then a bit of jiggling and pulling them all tight as I go and I have a very snug fit that never hurts. I can go for long walks in snow and ice, walking dogs or carrying items. I also have climbed mountains in this way.

My other wraps I have used: woven (love it), mei tai (great, but slightly more strain with the greater weights than the Ergo and harder to get snug with bulky clothes on). You can do a back carry in a wrap in bulky winter clothes, but it would just be harder to get the right fit and take longer than a structured soft buckled carrier like the Ergo.

ETA: I would not wear a coat over the child on my back in the winter, but I always put the carrier and child on my back OVER the coat. It works. You will stay warmer with child on your back so may need one layer less. In winter in a front carry I do put coats over child or also have just draped a warm blanket over top. But, it sounds like with your back and issues you will prefer the back carry.
#6 of 6 Old 02-18-2015, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I feel your pain, you shouldn't babywear in front if it hurts your health. When my son reached 18 pounds he moved to my back for most of our carryng needs. We do a high tibetan/ rucksack which he loves because he can look over my shoulder or double hammock. For days above freezing we both wear wool sweaters with thin fleece jackets / overall. When we get snow I babywear with him under my jacket. I bought a babywearing jacket and tailored another old men's jacket to have a back opening. Both work very well and we keep each other warm. I also have a winter cover that goes over the baby with straps that I wrap around my torso, it works well, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
Babywearing , large baby

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page