Need a recommendation - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 12-18-2004, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking to get a sturdy carrier that won't hurt my back or shoulders, something that we can use for hikes long walks, shopping, sightseeing, etc. My DD is 8 months old and about 17 lb and I *think* she'd like the front facing position w/ her legs dangling. I'm about 5'7" and a size 22, and DH is 5'10" and a size XXL, so it needs to fit both of us. Something that could be tucked into the diaper bag would be nice, but not a necessity. I have a KK cotton pouch, but it has hurt my shoulders since DD was about 3 months, and I've been carrying her in my arms ever since. I'm intrigued by the Baby Trekker, but don't know anything about it.

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 12-18-2004, 08:20 PM

I have not seen one in person, but I have only heard good things about the baby trekker. Hopefully someone else will have more info. for you .
#3 of 6 Old 12-18-2004, 09:05 PM

Sorry, I haven't tried a Baby Trekker, either. I just wanted to let you know that a mama on the MDC trading post is selling a blue used one in very good condition for $26 ppd if you wanted to give it a try.

Tereasa

#4 of 6 Old 12-18-2004, 09:21 PM

I'm a different size than you, but I love our Baby trekker! It is v. comfortable for front and back carrying and is the only one that DH thinks is "manly" enough for him! I say go grab the one on TP before it goes!

Forgot to answer your question. I love the BT because it does distribute the weight well on both shoulders and your waist. I like the front carry position because it is more cuddley, but DH liked the back position (again, 'cuz it was less feminine). If I was to go on longer hikes, etc, the back carry position was better. DH was able to go for hours with DD on his back!
#5 of 6 Old 12-19-2004, 12:17 AM

I see this type of question come up a lot. So, I will again suggest a mei tai or ABC. This is good for multiple positions, readjusting, different sized people (some WAHMs will custome size them for you), and they are great for bad backs or long wearing.
#6 of 6 Old 12-20-2004, 11:02 AM

I am a similar size and height to you and i just got the Ergo carrier. I looked at Baby Trekker myself but i didnt like the crisscross straps in front idea. I also looked at sutemi, but i would have had to get 2 of them because the size would not have fit both myself and dh.
Anyway to get back on track to your question. I like the Ergo for long walks and for dh to use. It does take some getting use to and their directions don't have enough pictures/explanations in my opinion BUT i will say that they encourage you to call them w/ questions and they have a 30day guarantee (i think). My ds is 22lbs now and he can eithr ride front or back, front he has to face me, and back position as well. I like this carrier because it distributes his growing weight better on my back/shoulders. The straps are all adjustable but it takes patience learning to use it. Using this carrier by myself has been a challenge but if i can do it anyone can. With another person to help you its no problem. The carrier came w/ a carrying case you can stuff it in.

I also use a Maya wrap but only for short trips to the store and for dancing around w/ ds (hes way to heavy to hold & dance). This does bother my shoulder after a while but the sling is very compact, light, & no straps to finagle w/.

Anyway hope this helps, i would check out a few websites for carriers and isnt there a carrier/sling rating section on this board.

Good luck!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page