Looking for a recommendation please - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 04-03-2005, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an 8 month old, huge, baby (off the charts huge) and up until now I have been using a sling-eze in the house because it is incredibly comfy but I don't use it outside because, well, it's bulky and ugly : When we are out, I use my beautiful Maya ring sling. The Maya is incredibly uncomfortable for me and it cuts into my baby's thighs in the hip carry which is her preferred position. So is there something out there that will be comfy for both of us in the hip carry, and isn't bulky, and is attractive, and breastfeeding friendly?

Thanks mamas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 04-03-2005, 11:38 PM

My daughter is still small (4 months old) but we love our hotslings (hotslings.com). The website shows many pics on how to wear a baby many ways including hip carry since sling has nice padded side so it won't cut into child's leg. I've also been reading lots about the Moby carrier but don't know if it works with hip carry. Good luck.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
#3 of 12 Old 04-03-2005, 11:45 PM

I highly recommend Hotslings as well. I love the leg padding on my little guy's thighs. It has a very streamlined look, folds up really small and comes in some great fabrics.

Tereasa

#4 of 12 Old 04-03-2005, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks

The Hotslings only have padding on the leg though, right? So isn't it a bit uncomfortable for mom's sholder? I have bony sholders so I would love just a bit of padding w/o bulk. Maybe such a thing doesn't exist. I do have a stretchy wrap (like a Moby)but it hasn't worked well for us. I will check out Hotslings. I have one of hers from when she first started and it didn't work well for us but i'm sure they are very different now as that was several yrs ago.

ETA - I think I need a ring sling so I can adjust it to nurse. DD is a big time nurser and needs to nurse on the go most of the day while I chase my other child.
#5 of 12 Old 04-04-2005, 01:22 AM

I just got the hang of nursing in a Mei Tei and it is easy for going out in.
#6 of 12 Old 04-05-2005, 11:55 AM

My sister has a huge 9mth old, 28lbs, and she has an angelfaries pack-pack mei tai. She says it is very comfortable to wear him for hours. She put him in a hip carry in the mei tai but he didn't like it too much, but it is possible

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#7 of 12 Old 04-05-2005, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreial
My sister has a huge 9mth old, 28lbs, and she has an angelfaries pack-pack mei tai. She says it is very comfortable to wear him for hours. She put him in a hip carry in the mei tai but he didn't like it too much, but it is possible

Do you mean the baby fairies pack-pack? I have one of those. It is beautiful but not so easy to nurse in of for DD to nap in. Also, DD likes to face out and you can't do that with a Mei Tai. I really want to get her used to the back carry though, because it is very comfy. So far she doesn't like it but soon maybe.
#8 of 12 Old 04-05-2005, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycapmom
Do you mean the baby fairies pack-pack? I have one of those. It is beautiful but not so easy to nurse in of for DD to nap in. Also, DD likes to face out and you can't do that with a Mei Tai. I really want to get her used to the back carry though, because it is very comfy. So far she doesn't like it but soon maybe.

Have you tried to use your MT in a facing out front carry? I have heard a lot of people use theirs that way. I haven't personally tried it as I have a snuggler. Here's some pictures on another site of some moms doing it. I'm not sure how comfortable it would be with your heavy one.

http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6143

Also, with the back carry, have you tried a high back carry with your MT so your DD can see over your shoulder?

Tereasa
#9 of 12 Old 04-05-2005, 04:38 PM

I tend to think I have bony shoulders too and I find the Hotslings very comfy-most comfy of all my carriers I think. The stretch cotton gives just enough to mold around my shoulder cap and it's great! I can easily wear it for 1-2 hrs with no problems.
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#10 of 12 Old 04-05-2005, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnR33
I tend to think I have bony shoulders too and I find the Hotslings very comfy-most comfy of all my carriers I think. The stretch cotton gives just enough to mold around my shoulder cap and it's great! I can easily wear it for 1-2 hrs with no problems.
Ann
What about the fact that it isn't adjustable? Does that create problems for nursing or quick in and out, naps, etc. ?

I'll have to check them out. They are a bit of $. I will see if I can find a used one
#11 of 12 Old 04-05-2005, 06:03 PM

I have tried 2 other adjustable pouches and I still find my Hotslings to be the most comfortable of them all. The quick in/out is easy once you you start to use it and I haven't any problems with him waking when I take him out-as a matter of fact-it's his best napping place I think
I cannot comment on nursing him in it since I like to nurse with him spread out on my lap...many others say they nurse in it fine but I just haven't had the need to.
I'd check out some of the swap boards for a good deal.
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#12 of 12 Old 04-05-2005, 07:40 PM

I hate to disagree with my good buddy Ann, :LOL but I never met a pouch I liked to nurse in. I require a tight fit for a pouch, and then I don't have enough room to maneuver him to nurse.

I just nursed at the post office today while waiting in line (and filling out some forms!). It was so NICE to adjust the material AROUND my nursing son, then tighten, then be hands free and cover the whole process with the lovely (and long) tail of my ring sling.

I can nurse in a Mei Tei, too.....but I prefer the ring sling with a baby.

Older nursling....Mei Tei and Sling are the same, IMO. Larger bodied MT also helps, IMO.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page