Can't wear my baby? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 16 Old 12-10-2007, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is not HUGE (only 20 lbs), but I am pretty small and am having a VERY hard time carying him anymore. I have two front carriers - Evenflo and Infantino, but never liked those much. I also have two slings that were originally Didymos but were converted to Hotslings (bought off ebay). I can't wear him in any of these for more than just a few minuts without being in a TON of pain. My back and shoulders are throbbing from the weight almost immediately, and after about 15 or 20 minuts of this, my head even starts hurting. This is a huge problem when we're at home especially and he wants to be held, because I have to put him in a playpen at some point or I can't get anything done. Any advice, or will I just never be able to wear him anymore? I'm on a very tight budget, so purchasing a new sling is out of the option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 12-10-2007, 07:32 AM

Mei tai carriers are good for older/bigger babies - Can you sew at all? they are not hard to make...
or maybe trade something for one... I make them... try me!
#3 of 16 Old 12-10-2007, 10:15 AM

It sounds like you just need to find a different type of carrier! Don't discount babywearing until you have tried a lot of them.

Like PP mentioned, mei-tais or a soft structured carrier like an Ergo or Beco might be your best bet. They carry baby differently than your other carriers. They might look initially like your infantino/evenflo ones, but believe be that they are not!

Google those names and see what you come up with.

CPST ***I can help keep your child safe in the car. Ask me a car seat question!***

#4 of 16 Old 12-10-2007, 12:57 PM

A chunei really does a great torso carry, very comfy. I walk 3 miles a day w/my 15 pound ds in it, front or back carry. No pain.

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!
#5 of 16 Old 12-10-2007, 01:48 PM

maybe try trading them?
a babyhawk or beco would work well for you!

Denise, Mama to DS1 (7) and DD1 (5) and new baby due June 2012!

#6 of 16 Old 12-10-2007, 02:13 PM

Ergo or Beco (or similar) are good because they take some of the weight off of your back/shoulders and put it on your hips. Whatever carrier you end up with, whether it be a mei tai or something like an ergo, do try a back carry. It is much more comfortable carrying a heavy babe on your back than on your front or side!
#7 of 16 Old 12-10-2007, 03:20 PM

Yep, one of those mentioned above! I have to use a 'soft pack' or SSC (soft structured carrier) with my son... he's too heavy for anything else (for me). Plus, I like to keep him on my back.

I have a Beco- but if you are looking at a lower price point, I have heard very good things about Baby/Toddler Patapum.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#8 of 16 Old 12-10-2007, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Another recommendation for the back carry, it's much easier on your body with a heavy babe. Also have to join in with SSC like Beco or Patapum.

And with the Didymos you have, did it get cut and resewn to be a pouch? (like the Hotlings brand) If not, than you can use the wrap for a back carry as well and that's pretty cozy.

Andrea

Andi - roller derby, slave to the hoop, birth junkie, lover of love, single mama of 4
#9 of 16 Old 12-10-2007, 03:58 PM

if you don't sew and can't afford a new carrier, try to find either some cotton gauze or a woven material at a fabric store and use it as a wrap. *any* two-shouldered wrap carry is going to be a lot easier on your body than what you've got. depending on your size and what kinds of carries you want to do (quick and easy vs. more supportive and secure) you'll need somewhere between 3 and 6 yards of fabric. cotton gauze, even when not on sale, is probably something like $4/yd. and you can sometimes get it for like $1/yd. even an old sheet cut in half down the middle would work in a pinch around the house. check out www.mamatoto.org - loads of info on improvising carriers with what you've got around, and directions on how to use your piece of cloth once you acquire it.

if you can find a good deal on a used SSC (like an Ergo or a Patapum) that would be the optimum choice for comfort and longevity of use, IMO. You can actually sometimes find the older styles of these on sale here on the TP or at thebabywearer.com for quite a reasonable price - like $40-ish. i sold an old Patapum i was no longer using last year for i think $45. see if you can sell those pouches you have made from didys - you might be able to largely fund the cost of a used carrier.
#10 of 16 Old 12-10-2007, 09:39 PM

I would sell your other carriers and buy an ergo or beco. The beco changed my life. I wear my 22lb 7 m/o in a front carry everywhere - grocery shopping, dog walks, playground (i have a toddler.) No back or shoulder pain, and I am relatively small - 5'4 and 120 lbs. It's the only type of carrier that has worked for me.
#11 of 16 Old 12-10-2007, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Just wanted to throw a vote out for a Toddler Patapum. Its similar to an ergo and a beco in that is also a SSC. I've owned 2 becos and 2 ergos and have sold all of them. I really really prefer my patapum also from a $ perspective an new ergo is $92 (or there abouts) and a new Beco is around $125. A new Toddler Patapum is about $75.

I would reccomend a SSC over a Mei Tai because your little one is only going to get heavier. SSC distribute the weight to your hips and while MTs do this aswell the padded waist REALLY does make a difference. I wear my 26mo daily. She is 27lbs. I usually wear her in a patapum or in a woven wrap. I do own some Mei Tais but they really don't get asmuch use.

Pax, loving wife, Homeschooling mom of 2.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#12 of 16 Old 12-11-2007, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks to everyone who replied!!! I was not expecting so many responses =). This information has been very helpful!!! I'll definitely look into trading and//or selling the ones I have now. I think the one where the weight is distributed to the hips sounds PERFECT for me, because I'm always trying to bring the weight down lower on the Evenflo and Infantino ones. My lowerback//hips could handle more weight than my shoulders, I'm sure. Thanks again!!!
#13 of 16 Old 12-11-2007, 01:44 PM

If you are crafty and have or have access to a sewing machine, you can make yourself a mei tai or a soft structured carrier. There's a do it yourself forum at www.thebabywearer.com that has lots of helpful posts. A DIY gauze wrap is certainly better than using a single-shoulder carrier, but it's very easy to get pressure points and have difficulty getting a comfortable carry with a gauze wrap.

I hope you can find something that works for you!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#14 of 16 Old 12-13-2007, 02:49 AM

don't throw in the towel. for smaller frame mamas, i think a mei tai might work better or one of those buckle ties. a buckle belt with mei tai straps. otherwise, beco seems to work quite well as is angel packs. and then, there's of course jet packs too.

i used snuggli, infantino and hip hammock at one point. the SSC's out there on the market now (Beco, Ergo, Patapum, Angel Pack, JetPacks, etc.) are way more comfortable.
#15 of 16 Old 12-14-2007, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I was reading your OP and I was like "that's why....." then the next carrier you have "that's why..." then again....

I would suggest that you list those carriers on ebay and spend that money and get a good MT or SSC. My DD is 28lbs (but almost 3) and we have MTs and SSC's.

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
#16 of 16 Old 12-14-2007, 01:58 AM

I still carry my 23 mo son in my mei tai (babyhawk) and have no problems whatsoever! I just recently tried a storch wrap and fell in love with it...soooo comfy for a back carry with a toddler. If you can, see if there are any babywearing groups by you that you can try out some carriers before you buy. Also, check out www.thebabywearer.com for more info (it can be a little overwhelming at first, but the ladies on there are full of great info/tips!).

Tanya, wife to my best friend momma to Blake 2/02, Jacob 5/04, Parker 12/05 and MaKenna : 6/09

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page