This annoys me - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 03-26-2006, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was looking at breastfeeding things on ebay, and there was an auction called Breastfeeding Support Kit so I checked it out......and in this auction there is formula and formula coupons. HOW is this a breastfeeding support kit??? I just hate that people post items like that. When a mom-to-be goes on ebay and searches for breastfeeding and comes up with that, I sure hope they don't need formula for support.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Enfamil-Lipil-...QQcmdZViewItem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 03-26-2006, 02:26 AM

I don't know, but that bothered me so much that I contacted the seller. Can't wait to see what she has to say about it.

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#3 of 11 Old 03-26-2006, 02:29 AM

Its probably what she got from the hospital. I got similar stuff and it really was called "breastfeeding support kit". Can you imagine? So I dont think the seller herself is trying to sabotage bfing, blame enfamil.

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :

#4 of 11 Old 03-26-2006, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom
Its probably what she got from the hospital. I got similar stuff and it really was called "breastfeeding support kit". Can you imagine? So I dont think the seller herself is trying to sabotage bfing, blame enfamil.
I agree.
#5 of 11 Old 03-26-2006, 02:57 PM

Maybe she changed it - but now it says "for the breastfeeding mom who occasionally supplements".

So, I guess - it's not helpful as a "bfing support kit", but maybe not that misleading. And the title says Enfamil, Lipil - all formula words.

Did she change it?

Woman. Mother. Activist.
#6 of 11 Old 03-26-2006, 09:39 PM

I think that is a sample pack you get from the hospital, or pediatrician. I got one too for free...its a big thing of powdered formula, a bag for keeping bottles cool or warm, and a booklet about breastfeeding, and some essential fatty acid supplements for the mother. Obviously, not a BF support kit but a way to get formula/bottles into your house. I am pretty sure dr's offices hand it out as a freebie from formula companies.
#7 of 11 Old 03-27-2006, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

She posted the question and answer on the auction. It says:

Q: Can you please tell me how selling formula is supportive of breastfeeding? Seems kind of ironic.
Mar-26-06
A: Hi, thank you for your question. It had me concerned enough to change my listing! The breastfeeding support kit is a supplemental aid for the breastfeeding mother who has to occassionally give her baby formula. Maybe she doesn't have a surplus of milk, or is weining, thus the kit. I myself exclusively nurse, therefore, these kits where going to waste, so I listed them. I cnanged the title of my auction to take out the 'breastfeeding support kit' in the title for people looking up breastfeeding supplies. Thanks for the question! Kindly, Kelly
#8 of 11 Old 03-27-2006, 12:58 AM

Well, one COULD look on the bright side and look at the fact that she doesn't need it. That's a good thing.
#9 of 11 Old 03-27-2006, 01:20 AM

The "breast feeding support kit" is still in the description, but now breastfeeding isn't mentioned in the title at all. Really the description is probably exactly how the product's described in the packaging. It's bound to be bought by someone deliberately looking for enfamil.
#10 of 11 Old 03-27-2006, 10:01 PM

Was that a picture of the new bags that was posted? The old ones were at least neutral looking so they could be used by anyone. That one looks completely impractical and only like a commercial for the company would use it. Then again, maybe my computer isn't showing the image properly.
#11 of 11 Old 03-27-2006, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwuko
I am pretty sure dr's offices hand it out as a freebie from formula companies.
I think I received three of these bags for free when I had my first. Oh, ds1 was nursed until he self weaned. Needless to say these bags did little to help me.

On a positive note, the bags I got with my second did have charts to fill in and track your nursing and child's "output" (bowel movements, wet diapers, etc...). It had slots for both nursing and formula but at least SOMETHING they gave out could have SOME practical use.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page