It is time for us to get organized about TLC - Baby Story and Bringing Home Baby - Mothering Forums

#1 of 48 Old 01-29-2008, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is getting absolutely absurd.

Even for me, this is making me a lacitivist and wanting to say enough!

A small background on my breastfeeding issues.

I am the unlucky mom of the rare 1% child who cannot tollerate breastmilk. He is on elemental medical food now due to his issues. See my sig if you want more information. I am the unlucky mom of the rare 1% child who had seizures so bad she bit down while breastfeeding and causing literal injury to me. I pumped for her and she got breastmilk until the age of 2. I am proud of that. Both kids were preemies with issues.

The excause breastfeeding is too hard after a week does not fly with me unless there is medical reason for it. Period.

I saw Brining Home Baby yesterday. It made me absolutely sick. Sick does not even describe it. A mom gave breastfeeding a week and then switched to formula. The dad was all "I perfer it because I can bond with the kid too". There were 3 formula comercials. You could see the Pampers in the background.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! Every show I have seen has the same "OMG! BREASTFEEDING IS SO HARD!!!!!!!!!!!" line. The one show with the preemie, the mom actually breastfed. They never show premature infants or infants with real medical issues. That is another point, but I personally would love to see one with an infant home on oxygen, an apnea montior, a feeding tube and the mom lovingly pumping for her child. They use jaundice as a reason to not breastfeed (where do they get their medical information...from the bottom of a can of Enfamil?!?!?!).

All the medical misinformation and the crap spewed there is infuriating.

Perhaps a boycott on TLC should be in order? This is absurd!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 48 Old 01-29-2008, 02:42 PM

I expect that, in order for any real change to happen, we'd have to fork over more advertising dollars than the formuco's do. Doesn't matter what public opinion is, they won't have a show if they're not paying.

If only natural products like slings and cloth diapers had the advertising dollars to work with, they could come up with a more crunchy show and seek ad space from those folks. Win win situation. Except for the massive cost of TV advertising.
#3 of 48 Old 01-29-2008, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Discovery Health has a show about a pregnant mom modeling agency.

A few mom's there are very crunch and they have discussed slings, cloth diapers, and have kids with complex medical issues.

#4 of 48 Old 01-29-2008, 07:25 PM

This is why I don't watch those shows. They make me so mad I want to scream and break things.
#5 of 48 Old 01-29-2008, 10:19 PM

Don't they usually show some doctor telling BS about breastfeeding on those shows? Maybe if we sent letters to the doctor's licensing board?
#6 of 48 Old 01-29-2008, 10:52 PM

Oh I hate those shows! I stopped watching when a woman said, "I wanted to breastfeed sooo badly, but I had to give up after four days!" WTH????? Whatever! :
#7 of 48 Old 01-29-2008, 11:23 PM

Every Single Show is the same. I may have written them once last year, I think I did actually. But what I would suggest is organizing it online, with who to contact and then having everyone write them and send it out to all their friends to write too.

What I would suggest asking TLC for is FREE LACTATION HELP for the moms, LCs and LLLI consultants right there instead of that SAME narrator woman's voice ALWAYS saying, "___ tried breastfeeding but it didn't work" in her singsong way. It has been going on for over a year at least.
#8 of 48 Old 01-29-2008, 11:51 PM

I saw the description for an episode of Bringing Home Baby that said "Breast-feeding goes from bad to worse". Drives me NUTS!! Why not show moms who actually succeed at breastfeeding? I mean they do, but it's few and far between.
#9 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 03:54 AM

Call me crazy, but I just had a thought... forwarding these ideas in a well-constructed letter to the Tyra Banks and Montel shows. One of them might actually pick it up... I've been wanting to send them an email suggesting a show on the latest upswing for revirginization and vaginal tightening surgeries... hmm...
#10 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 04:11 AM

I've sent letters. They're excuse is that they're like a wildlife show: there to document but not interfere. They make me ill.

Seriously, step away from the TLC.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#11 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 08:02 AM

Well, people apply to be on these kinds of shows, right? We can write to the show and encourage them to seek families that intend to breastfeed and CD. Or perhaps there is someone in this community that might want to participate and be an example of a family committed to breastfeeding. Or, perhaps not, but it's an idea!
#12 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
They're excuse is that they're like a wildlife show: there to document but not interfere. They make me ill.

Yep, just like wildlife shows....they interfere like crazy on those shows too!!!! Look at all those shows that sabotage mother bonding for non-human mammals....and end up with artificially feeding also.

I can hear the voice over now:

" Elsa has just given birth to two cubs (lights, camera, action) ....which the zoo staff have carefully measured and weighed.....(and photographed in cute poses, aren't they just adorable?)....Oh but what a shame, Elsa seems to be rejecting the cubs....we can't understand why, but it happens sometimes....in order to save their lives they will have to be hand reared now... (isn't it so cute to feed them with bottles, so the zoo staff can bond with them? )
#13 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 12:31 PM

Where is the AAP on this one?

OH, yeah, that's right...they are busy complaining about a fictional TV show concerning vaccines/autism.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#14 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 07:20 PM

Has anyone seen The Baby Diaries on Discovery Health? I don't watch baby shows, but I happened to stop on this one the other day. They were featuring this couple who apparently are the type that likes everything to be scheduled because they had an actual OB/GYN lecturing that breastfeeding must be on demand, and not scheduled. He went on to say that if the baby wanted to eat every two hours "that's the way it's gonna be" He really seemed knowledgeable. How refreshing.
#15 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avedagrrl View Post
Well, people apply to be on these kinds of shows, right? We can write to the show and encourage them to seek families that intend to breastfeed and CD. Or perhaps there is someone in this community that might want to participate and be an example of a family committed to breastfeeding. Or, perhaps not, but it's an idea!
I agree with this, I also wanted to say that a couple years ago there was an MDC Mama on Baby Story, she a friend of a friend, so I don't directly know her but I recall her posting when the show aired.

Just wondering though how many of us who are AP/NFL leaning would really want to be on one of these shows.. to me it would feel like a huge invasion of privacy at a really private time in my life. I suspect I am not the only one who feels like that, just thinking back to 2.5 years ago when dd was born and I literally spent the first couple weeks naked on the top trying to get the hang of nursing, suspect that would not make for TLC approved tv. But yes I think if more BF Mamas applied to these shows we would see some improvement.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#16 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 08:29 PM

I used to love these shows! Now I hate them! Not only Bfing ... but EVERY woman is induced too ... and usually for NO reason! Scary andsad - that this is what many PG mamas are watching and expecting.
#17 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 08:41 PM

Funny y'all should mention this... Those shows are actually what turned me off to hospital births!

I have seen women on those shows breastfeed, and one lady (props to her) hired a lactation consultant. I do see where y'all are coming for though. I think part of the problem is that some people think breastfeeding is nasty and low class (read, if you have the money just buy formula). Not to mention the lack of support breastfeeding women get.

Another problem is that people think it's supposed to hurt.

I can't really stand those shows anymore anyway.
#18 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 10:24 PM

These shows drive me INSANE also. You know I emailed TLC while pregnant to tell them that I was pregnant with a cleft baby... I never see any shows about clefts. I researched my a$$ off to be able to bf him and I need to share what I learned! I thought it would be great to document one and one that bfs!! But they never replied.
#19 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APmomto3boys View Post
These shows drive me INSANE also. You know I emailed TLC while pregnant to tell them that I was pregnant with a cleft baby... I never see any shows about clefts. I researched my a$$ off to be able to bf him and I need to share what I learned! I thought it would be great to document one and one that bfs!! But they never replied.
Congratulations to you for doing so.
Most moms give up because of way less hassle.
As you can see in those shows.
#20 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 11:58 PM

If the shows are marketed towards moms and they are supported by formula companies, you have to replace that marketing and financial support with something else OR you have to lobby for there to be stringent limits on formula sales. Otherwise, nothing is going to happen. Money makes the world move.
#21 of 48 Old 01-31-2008, 06:17 PM

Ugh. I was just watching "Bringing Home Baby", and this woman said, "We've had to supplement breast feeding with formula because of his jaundice". I had jaundice when I was born, and I was 100% breastfed for 18 months. This is complete B.S.

-
#22 of 48 Old 01-31-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filiadeluna View Post
Ugh. I was just watching "Bringing Home Baby", and this woman said, "We've had to supplement breast feeding with formula because of his jaundice". I had jaundice when I was born, and I was 100% breastfed for 18 months. This is complete B.S.
:

Two of mine were jaundiced. Both born in hospitals, and the nurses, doctors, midwives, and ped's all said the same thing to us...

"MAKE SURE HE GETS SOMES UNSHINE FROM BEHIND A WINDOW EVERYDAY, AND THAT'LL CLEAR RIGHT UP." Followed by: "I'm glad to see he's nursing well, that's just great!" "Oh, and make sure you stay up on *your* iron, it will help you both recover."
#23 of 48 Old 01-31-2008, 08:10 PM

BEfore I started frequenting American parenting boards I'd never heard of giving formula for jaundice... it wasn't even mentioned here and both my kids had jaundice, my youngest's stuck around about 2 weeks.
#24 of 48 Old 01-31-2008, 10:32 PM

But wait. How much of this is TLC, and how much is it the families who sign up to be on the show? I am not defending the network here, but at the same time, they can only shoot families who agree to either have their births videotaped or who agree to have a camera crew in their home for the first few days postpartum.

I would think the most effective way to get more accurate information about breastfeeding on the show is for more MDC (and likeminded) mamas to sign up to be on it.

A Baby Story is taking applications from families from the New York tri-state area. I couldn't find hardly anything about Bringing Home Baby on the site - maybe it's not being picked up again?

I also think, sadly, a lot of new parents are just uneducated about so many things: breastfeeding, jaundice, the danger of supplementing in those early days while "waiting for milk to come in" and rely heavily, and most likely exclusively, on advice of their doctors and nurses, who are often giving incorrect advice on these topics.

It does make me sad to see these shows and how often incorrect breastfeeding information and misconceptions are perpetuated. All the more reason to get someone who knows what she's doing and who will just have a running commentary about it and have her be on the show.

It is a lot to ask of someone, though. I don't live in the area that TLC is looking for, but even if I was, I am not sure that I"d want a camera crew following me around either while in labor or in those first few days at home.

Just my two cents!
#25 of 48 Old 02-01-2008, 12:27 AM

i will definatly be applying with my next pg...

JACKIE
Married since '04
all the kiddos!
'05
'06
'09
'12
'15
#26 of 48 Old 02-01-2008, 06:24 AM

Shay, I am with you that I personally would not feel comfortable having a camera crew at my birth or in my home after a baby was born. But that's really cool that there was an MDC mama on there once!
#27 of 48 Old 02-02-2008, 06:51 PM

those shows make me so mad, too. I saw the WORST one not too long ago, not BF related, but it was a mom's 2nd pregnancy and with the first, she had been induced and then went into uterine tetany--probably induced with Cytotec, although that's just my opinion--so she had to have an emerg C. She was talking about it and said, "I asked the doctor why this happened and he said it was just a fluke thing," so this poor woman was TERRIFIED that it was going to happen to her again with this 2nd pregnancy (she was having a scheduled repeat C but she seemed to believe that because the first incident was just a "fluke" that it could just randomly happen again before her scheduled C). You could tell she was scared, at her MD appts. she kept asking stuff like "Would I know if it was happening again?" it made me so flaming mad that no one had told her, and she seemed to not have made the connection herself, that the uterine tetany was caused by the induction...it wasn't just a fluke, it never would've happened without the induction! I was so upset for days after seeing that one.

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
#28 of 48 Old 02-02-2008, 10:30 PM

I don't like how they provide Pampers Swaddlers and wipes to the families. They also, I assume, make them use the cleaning products because there will be gratuitous shots of the mothers cleaning w. Swifers and Lysol and there will be a commercial for them 5 seconds later. But that's OT.

Breastfeeding IS hard, but that's to be expected. I can't stand mothers who give up after a week or so. I haven't seen too many mothers breastfeeding on that show, in fact it's never mentioned unless the mom has given it up or decided not to do it.

I doubt that there is much anyone can do though. Like PP said, unless natural living products can come up with the advertising money.

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#29 of 48 Old 02-03-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax Vobiscum View Post
:

Two of mine were jaundiced. Both born in hospitals, and the nurses, doctors, midwives, and ped's all said the same thing to us...

"MAKE SURE HE GETS SOMES UNSHINE FROM BEHIND A WINDOW EVERYDAY, AND THAT'LL CLEAR RIGHT UP." Followed by: "I'm glad to see he's nursing well, that's just great!" "Oh, and make sure you stay up on *your* iron, it will help you both recover."
I had to fight tooth and nail to not give my dd formula. I was in the hospital with no internet or library access. I gave my dd formula for 18 hours - supplemented after I nursed her - before I could finally get the info from my husband (who had to be talked through the procedure of how to search - he's good at the computer but no google queen!) that that was bs.

But they still tell parents that. And threated me to keep my dd "until she was better" if I didn't give formula. I didn't, and they kept her.

I'm scared to death of another hospital birth.

...not to derail the thread....

~ Kim

mama to E (01-2007) and wife to C

#30 of 48 Old 02-03-2008, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Soooo, what's TLC's address?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page