Life with babe/postpartum mamas - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 66 Old 07-26-2004, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amina Momma
Did anyone get pitocine after non- med birth to contract U? What were the effects? Did anyone postpone the heb b shot till later or have a baby with neg. effect to hep b?
I did. I had a quick, med-free delivery, but was given a shot of pitocin because I was losing a lot of blood. I was nursing, but the bleeding/clots weren't slowing to an appropriate degree. I don't know if it's related, but I had a horrible time with afterpains.

Hep B is an STD. To be frank, your baby only needs it if you are Hep B+. There are no negative consequences whatsoever to waiting until a more appropriate time to get the vax. I personally believe it is irresponsible to administer it to a newborn baby whose immune system is not fully developed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 66 Old 07-26-2004, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"Life is good and I am dreaming about my next baby already "

Good God, woman, my hats off to ya! I can barely figure this one out.... DH and I keep joking that we'll buy the next one at the store and make sure it's older than 2 years!
#33 of 66 Old 07-26-2004, 04:29 PM

I have an aunt and a close family friend who are hep b + My aunt contracted hep through drug use. My friend did not contract it sexually or through drug use. Although it is not common, hep b can be contracted by coming into contact with blood in a non-high risk way. My friend wonders all the time how she got hep b, it has devestated her life.
Because of my friend's experience, and because of the proximity to 2 hep b + people my son will have, I chose to vax for hep b. We did it at 2 weeks and had no reaction (a reaction to hep b is uncommon). It was very hard to watch his face contort as he was injected, but I held him during the shot and nursed him immediately after and he recovered within seconds.

#34 of 66 Old 07-27-2004, 05:09 AM

Thanks ladies for your responses. It is soo good to hear how you are doing. I am still waiting
#35 of 66 Old 07-29-2004, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfairy
Does anyone know about skullcap tincture for pain relief in labor?
Hi Stacey,

I used skullcap for my 2nd and 3rd pgs I used it more during the PGs than for actual labor so I cant comment how good it would be good for labor for some reason I thought it would not do much for me it really relaxed me during PG when I felt tense and wound up though...hmmm some help I am lol...render this post useless

M
#36 of 66 Old 07-29-2004, 02:07 AM

Although I just had my 4th I can really relate to what you are saying. After having my 4th is the first time I bought disposable breast pads (lanisnoh makes the best IMHO) to stop messing up my bras and clothes and bibs and small wash towels to keep around when nursing not to stain up the babies clothes (Hand me downs are a must!).

Breast feeding was not easy for me the first time around and for the first month especially. My first dd would only nurse on my left side and she continued this way for the first month. For one whole month she did this and my left breast is still slightly bigger than my right. But I stuck to it and was able to nurse her all the way till I got PG with my 2nd so do hold on to your guns and stick it out it gets better. There are so many things I tell my dh 'so it took four kids before I figured out xyz' I find this especially true for those of us whos moms were not really intuned with there kids or their own instincts.

Take care
Michelle
#37 of 66 Old 07-29-2004, 02:19 AM

I just stopped bleeding a couple of days ago. It seemed to have lasted 3 weeks. With all my others it lasted exactly 40 days. Theres hope mamajaza!

Michelle
#38 of 66 Old 08-01-2004, 04:25 AM

Hi all,
I was posting with you for a while, then had to go to work for the last four months of pregnancy. I was off from work for two days when my son was born, July 5. It was a bit of a surprise and not at all a labor and delivery that I planned. But we are all well and healthy and although recovery for me has been difficult, we are coming out of it. Gryphon is wonderful and has been a real breastfeeding trooper since birth. He latched on immediately. When my milk came in, I became too large for him and had inverted nipples, so we had to use a nipple shield for a couple of weeks. I was told that he would not wean easily from the shield... but he did all by himself. His tenacity to bf has been inspiring! Anyway, that was off topic but I haven't had anyone to tell about it.
I can't believe he is a month old on Monday! It feels like he was just born. He's a couple pounds larger though!
I hope to be able to keep up chats with you all since we have babies around the same age. Let me know if the thread changes so that I can make sure to sign up for it.
Jennifer : :
#39 of 66 Old 08-01-2004, 04:33 PM

Congratulations on your little one Jennifer! There's also a thread for july mamas in the due date club
ITKWYM about time flying, caiden is 1 month today and it seems like yesterday that he was born! Of course it also seems like another life ago :LOL
#40 of 66 Old 08-03-2004, 09:31 PM

My dd is one week old already! She's so easy going and mellow it's a shock! She sleeps for hours at a time, in the pouch, someone's arms, or next to me in bed. She's alert for a long stretch 2-3 times per day, and nurses at 2-3 hour intervals! Ds weighed 5lbs 3oz and nursed every 45 minutes for a looong time. Having a full term 8lb baby is different! I worried that she wasn't eating enough but she's prolific with her diapers.
My breasts are overfull and drippy, but that will sort out. I love my glamourmom nursing tank since it has a pocket for the breastpad!
Any recommendations for removing newborn breastmilk poop stains? Nothing I tried with ds worked.
#41 of 66 Old 08-04-2004, 02:57 AM

poop stains will disapear with a good application of
#42 of 66 Old 08-04-2004, 11:46 AM

my first post here...baby is 3 days old and is SO SWEET!! What a different baby than my Zoie. He has a bad latch though and nursing is excruciating. I think I figured out that he's got that Dick Cheney sideways mouth thing goin' on where he latches on with half of his mouth so he's not getting all my areola. My bottom is so sore and I feel like my hips are closing in. Today is my last day to get Rhogam and we think Quinn may be Rh negative so I won't have to do it. He's jaundiced too. I am so glad my milk came in so quickly this time. With Zoie it took 4 days and she was so jaundiced by the time it came in she needed a bili light blanket. But she was born in the mid-fall and there wasn't good light. This baby has so many advantages over her. It's almost unfair.
#43 of 66 Old 08-04-2004, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mamajaza*
poop stains will disapear with a good application of
I love this for the dipes, but not such a great option for cute pants/onsies and such b/c the fades the fabric too. Got a good stainstick from ecover, will report back on the results when I get this load of laundry put away.
good luck with sorting out the Dick Cheney latch kris!
#44 of 66 Old 08-05-2004, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Hey all...
Tommorow is 7weeks for my little guy. He is really filling out and getting that sweet baby chub look. I think he will be a plump baby like his sister. He is still a pretty gassy guy and I succumbed to mylicon drops when he is very uncomfortable. I looked them up in some drug books and they claim to have no side effects, hmmm??? They give immediate relief. I have been finding that I enjoy getting out with them more than I thought I would. Activities keep my toddler focused whereas when we are at home she pretty much wants to be on me at all times (usually wanting to nurse). Some difficult whiny tantrum things going on, hopefully a short lived spurt. Anybody have any good activities for a toddler while you nurse. We just returned from a camping trip up north, my little guy even went swimming in the lake. Life is feeling pretty sweet and relaxed however, I have noticed my stress builds up faster and my patience is shorter...breathe and do my best. I have started doing some yoga and pilates again, helps keep me even.
Lots of sunshine here, keeping those diapers white
What is everyone's favorite sling? I have a Maya wrap, but I am not liking it as much this time, seems difficult to adjust.
#45 of 66 Old 08-05-2004, 10:44 PM

:

i've been lurking for a bit here...

first, the pain relief for labor question: i would recommend hot water (baths, showers) and massage!

... i can't believe she'll be 2 weeks old tomorrow!

i'm still having a bit of bleeding but not a lot, and it's starting to turn brownish-red. w/ my first it lasted 6 weeks; i'm wondering if i'll go that long again.

nursing is going so wonderfully. after the experience i had w/ my son i was mentally prepared for the worst, but it's so lovely. and she eats so much! i'm still in awe that MY BODY IS MAKING FOOD FOR HER!!!!! that's just so cool!

we've been going for more walks... she loves being in the sling. and so far, i've only gotton positive comments about it (which really suprises me, considering how non-crunchy the area is).

i've also picked up photography again (yay!) and am working on a photography site... http://klothos.com/gallery/ right now, all i have there are pictures of my little ones. they're fun to take pictures of...

i haven't taken her in to the dr yet... i was planning to but 1) we're delaying vax's anyway, 2) we have no health insurance right now and i haven't wanted to hassle w/ the CHDP (government) program, and 3) she's perfectly healthy. i don't feel like making that change... kwim?

eta ~ i'm loving our cloth diapers! especially our kissaluvs ~ so much easier for night changes...

also, eta ~ she's been smiling and giggling so much! it's incredible!
#46 of 66 Old 08-06-2004, 12:30 AM

Hi guys,

I haven't dissapeared, just over busy!

Moo is 6 weeks old today! She started smiling on Saturday.. What a beauty!

She is SO DIFFERENT than Goo. Goo was my screaming hellcat and she still is. I love this type of personalilty. Both of the people we named her after were hellcats and so it fits her well. They both were VERY strong people who would fight for what they believed in and take no shit.

Moo was named for two strong women who were generous and kind. They also took no shit, but in a much gentler manner. Well, Moo is the calmest little child I have seen! She cries for her needs of food and the need to poop (she only poops once every 48-72 hours!) but other than that, she is calm. She sleeps from 8pm to 4-5am! Amazing! Then you can snuggle her and she goes right back to sleep!

I love this. I FINALLY stopped bleeding! YEAH! But my doc thinks I might be ovulating...Oh well...

How are you all??????
#47 of 66 Old 08-08-2004, 03:45 AM

Hi all - baby is doing great - 5 days old now. We went to the pedi yesterday and he gave us the okay to skip her 2 week check-up because she is nursing well, is only two ounces from her birth weight, has no signs of jaundice, etc. She is sleeping better than I would expect a newborn to sleep (fingers crossed, knock on wood). She is amazingly beautiful!! I'm trying to get her used to sleeping somewhere besides my arms, but it feels so good to hold her that I'm having a hard time with it. I have two other kids though and will not survive if she has to be held 24/7 like my second baby did!

I am not getting much help from anyone except dh and he is getting short tempered and tired himself. I usually get a lot of help from my mom, but the timing just hasn't been good on this birth for her to be very available. I am trying to do more to help dh, but start bleeding a lot if I am up for too long. I think the afterpains are finally going away... haven't taken any Motrin today at all and only have a little pain.

The baby blues have been an issue for the first time. Every evening they hit for an hour or two. I think feeling overwhelmed is a big part of it. I can handle the baby, but trying to handle the boys too is hard.

My nearly three year old has been good with the baby (better than any of us expected actually), but he tends to act out a lot and needs pretty firm discipline to handle his temper (he gets physically aggressive when he is frustrated). I need to be hands on to do that with him and I can't do that and hold/nurse a new baby at the same time. She would not even be safe in the sling when he is like that. I'm not sure what I am going to do.

My five year old has been great, but he is an older brother and will torment his little brother sometimes. He also is in Kindergarten and so getting his homework done (not a lot, but it is always there!), papers back to school, PTA checks written, notes from his teacher answered, etc. has been a bit overwhelming.
#48 of 66 Old 08-08-2004, 04:28 AM

my 4 y.o. has been acting out a lot too (well ok, 4 on Monday). it's driving me up the wall! i find myself getting so ill-tempered with him so much of the day. even when i've planned outings, movie time, story time, etc with him, it doesn't curb his misbehaviour. i keep reminding myself he's just going through a hard time right now... is jealous... is trying to re-learn all his boundaries... but i feel like he's 2 all over again and it's so frustrating! and at the same time i see that he's trying so hard to make me happy and do the "right thing" but just can't help himself. i feel so sad for him and so angry at his behaviour... argh.

other than that... and never having enough money... we're all well.
#49 of 66 Old 08-08-2004, 01:57 PM

I have a 20-month old besides the NB.... I think it is more difficult than having twins. She's still in diapers full-time, wants the "mimi's" constantly, needs to be discaplined, all that fun stuff. But she is a she at least, so she has the motherly instincts. She loves holding the baby (with my help), and poking her everywhere, patting her head, and etcetera. I can't leave her with the NB for a second.

During nursing the NB, and I don't feel like nursing the older one, I ask her to get a book for me to read to her, and she always will go get one. I feel like a mama bear sometimes with the NB...so protective. I get the urge to bite the older one sometimes when she is nursing annoyingly:LOL obviously, I never actually DO that.

It's hard to get anything done. My house is a pigssty. I haven't eaten breakfast yet, and will have to soon, so I have milk for my babies.

But this is only a flash in time, it will be over soon, and I will look back at this time with fond memories.

Luckily for me, I live in my mom's basement suite, so I have all the help I need with the babies. I love it.
#50 of 66 Old 08-08-2004, 09:42 PM

Hello mamas....
I wish I could spend more time here catching up, but don't have a computer at home.
Oh well....I am loving the birth stories and newborn photos. I just now added a bunch more pics to my link.
Newborn baby land....mostly blissful. Thereare overwhhelming moments, too.
Little Kiery is 3 weeks tomorrow.
And I thought, somehow, I wouldn't love him as much as my first child!
Wrong! It's all just love, love, love around here.
Mostly, I sit and nurse....hours on end....in one end out the other. Am using cloth diapers.
Nipple pain did'nt last vry long this time, they are all tough and stetchy now. With dd it took much longer, and there was cracking and bleeding. For those experiencing problems, do stick with it cause it gets easier, very easy, and worth the trouble!

The weather here got hot recently and mom and babe are often plastered together and sweaty. I try to give him diaper-free time but boy babies sure have wide-ranging, unpredictable pees.

Wow, typed all that with my fumbly left hand...forgive typos.

Naking, it's called, right?

Til later,
Milky Owl
#51 of 66 Old 08-09-2004, 12:42 AM

yeah i think "NAK" is "nursing at keyboard."

i definitely know the mama bear feeling!

*~*

we took the kids + their auntie to the park today for the community BBQ... Michael had lots of fun... Lyssi slept the whole time.

at one point my SO and i left Michael w/ his auntie and took a walk w/ Lyssi around the block... it was nice just getting "out" by ourselves, and it felt sooo good to go for a longer walk. my body is thanking me.
#52 of 66 Old 08-09-2004, 09:57 PM

Hello everyone. It's hard to find time to post but wanted to check in. DD and I finally developed a good breasfeeding relationship after a tough first 10 days or so. It's second nature now and I'm even getting assertive about nursing in public ... which DH was mortified about. We had a family outing yesterday and DH was totally paranoid about people seeing my boobs and about me being discreet ... it got really annoying and I had a "chat" with him about it. I'm not looking to flash or shock people but I'm also not going to be paranoid or weird about nursing my child -- it's other people's problem if they need to stare at my breasts or if they are somehow disturbed by what is so natural. I am very discreet but ultimately a little boob might show and i just can't help that. DH seemed to get it at the moment but I think I'll have to keep working on him. He's great at home about it and very supportive, but in public he cares too much about what people will think.
#53 of 66 Old 08-11-2004, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Almost at 8 weeks here! Does that mean I have to start saying his age in months? He just doesn't seem that big yet! I feel like I am becoming adapted to two these days, getting faster at leaving the house with all the supplies, getting them both bathed etc. I have pretty much given up on nursing limits with my toddler(for a few weeks now), it was much to painful for me to listen to the constant asking and whines. Since my change of heart, things have been much smoother and I don't feel nursed out like I thought I would. I am much more relaxed. It sounds like most mamas here have their breastfeeding challenges worked out, hooray! I scored some bummi diapy covers at a thrift sale, they are great! Just a thought in case anyone needs to purchase covers down the road. I usually use nikkys, but I like these just as well, if not more. My toddler is napping so I am going to snuggle my lil' babe
#54 of 66 Old 08-12-2004, 12:52 AM

HI everyone

My dd will be 5 weeks tomarrow. We have adjusted well. Had some over supply issues with projectile vomiting and a 1 lb 12 oz weight gain in 2 weeks...but seems to be better now and we are doing well. Selma loves the sling. She spneds most of the day in the sling and the night cuddled up with me in bed. I just love her soooo much. She has started with regular crying period each night starting promptly at 5 pm and lasting to about 9 or so. My older dd did this also but she was completely inconsolable. Selma is fussy but not crazy. She stops crying immediately if I walk outside with her. This is fine except I can not make or eat dinner while walking around the neighborhood. I have to get better at cooking earlier and reheating dinner. Anybody else have a fussy period? I believe my older dd's crying was milk allergy related as when I eliminated all dairy it stopped. However, I am currently on a dairy free diet so this is not it with Selma. Just wondering if any one else has this regular fussy period yet.

jen

jen mommy to dd1 (11y), dd2 (6y) and ds (3y)
#55 of 66 Old 08-12-2004, 03:43 AM

for the past couple of nights, around 4 AM, Lyssi gets a little colicky... nothing like how badly her brother had but definitely the same thing.

i think she also may be starting to teethe... drooly, fussy, chewing on my nipples, etc. her cousin (just about 3 months old) already has 5 teeth; her other cousin had teeth when she was born; my son got his first 2 teeth in right at 4 months. maybe the early teeth thing is genetic. so... i've been a little sore. i'm hoping it won't get worse... but i know that it will.
#56 of 66 Old 08-12-2004, 03:34 PM

born with teeth! Wow! Dd has been more fussy this past week, got so bad last night that I puled out the pacifier (she really loves to suck, then overeats, doesn't really spit up-only 3-4 times in 2 weeks-then gets gassy) and the gripe water. After that she slept from 10-6, waking only to nurse then falling right to sleep again. I'm eliminating dairy, uncooked veggies, though I think it is less about what I eat and more about her overeating. She's awake for longer periods now. 3 hours last night!
#57 of 66 Old 08-13-2004, 03:30 PM

nak

Lila will be 6 weeks old tomorrow! She's starting to smile some while she's awake. I still love those milky, just drifting off smiles!

We're mastering nursing in the sling. I still feel very exposed trying to do this in public. I don't like showing any belly! We've got the left side down pat, now we're trying to get used to the sling ring on the other side. Feels very odd!

Ds is adjusting better day by day. Those first few weeks were so hard! Screaming fits by the dozens. I can't believe he's 3! From what I can tell, three looks just as tricky as two.

Nursing is going well. Getting over thrush. Uck. And trying to nurse two at once just sets me on edge. I want to push them both off and run screaming from the room! I only nurse them both when ds absolutely needs me to. And then only for about 30 seconds.

Wish me luck and a good sense of humor - MIL is coming for the second time in as many weeks, and SIL is coming with her. I get along with them fine over the phone. And one at a time is OK for a short while. This visit is only overnight.
#58 of 66 Old 08-13-2004, 09:02 PM

Caiden turned 6 weeks yesterday- I can't believe how fast the time has gone by and how much he has changed already! He's such a little chub now We've been really fortunate with nursing so far (knock on wood). I'm still a little uncomfortable each time I NIP, but I can't stand being confined to the house and I've got a hungry little guy so... I don't have a sling yet, but I've just been throwing a blanket across my front and over the top of ds. He is just now starting to not become keen on the blanket

My friend gave me a great idea about covering the belly: Use a tube top around your mid-section.

jen~ our fussy periods tend to cycle. It was the early eve, then the late evening, lately its been the early morning. The only thing that consistently makes ds happy when he is fussy is :bf
Good luck with the IL visit ebethmom
#59 of 66 Old 08-14-2004, 12:17 AM

DS is at 5 1/2 wks now. We're stunned it's almost 6 wks. He's getting big, grown 2 inches and gained a few pounds. Yeah! He's doing so many things now... I got my first recognition smile the other day, that was great! And he's trying to make new sounds.
Breastfeeding was a struggle at first, but we're getting the hang of it and I'm getting those tough rubbery nipples... which is a good thing cause ds love's to pull on them.
Last night was rough and this morning... but then dh came home and let me sleep for 4 hours (in a row!). Ahhhh. I'm less unstable now!
EBETHMOM: Wow, that's great that you are mastering sling nursing! I can't even get the sling to work yet (and I have three different kinds). I'm envious of you!
JEN: ds has been fussy sometimes from 6-11 or somewhere in there... i read that it is normal and that some babies start to sleep for a 5-6 hour stretch afterwards if they are good and full.
DALAI MAMA: Up for three hours at night?!! How do you do it? Also, what's gripe water?
NAK: this reminds me of a cute BF story... a friends toddler son was out with them at a party and got a little hungry and he calls BF "nak" for snack. He couldn't find his mom at the time so he walked up to a well endowed woman and reached out to her saying "nak, nak". So cute!!
BUTTERFLYMAMA: what a great idea to use a tube top! I have a question though, how do you guys keep from getting too hot?
ds is starting to ask for food, so I've gotta go...
Jennifer
#60 of 66 Old 08-14-2004, 12:34 AM

well my little Lyssi is 3 weeks old today!

about covering my belly while i nurse ~ i find it really unnecessary, and a little silly. it's been over 100 degrees outside... if someone is offended by a flash of a stretch-marked mama belly they don't have to look, kwim?

(i was, however, a little weirded out about flashing my actual breast today at the park because there was a boy there my son's age ~ who was playing with him ~ and he obviously had not been exposed to very many nursing mamas... he was kind of like " " and i just looked back at him with a *look* and he finally stopped staring. )

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page