Car seat/stroller/combo...? Help!! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 19 Old 07-29-2004, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi all,
I really don't know where else to post this, so since I'm due in Sept. I thought I'd start here! I'm looking at car seats, strollers, and combos, and have no clue what to put on my registry. I've read the reviews all over amazon, but to no avail.. can someone tell me what you suggest? Do I need a separate infant car seat, booster seat, convertable car seat.... What works best? Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 07-29-2004, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well...I love the stroller/infant seat combo. I have three other kids and always having to sling a baby is hard. I believe the infant seats are safest for the beginning anyway. I have a Peg Perego combo, I like it becasue it is really lightweight. After that, a convertible car seat is the best buy for your money. Something you can use rear facing and forward facing. I have researched the convertibles, and many people swear by the Britax, but htey are really expensive. I like the Evenflo Triumph I think it is, I just bought the newest model. Hope that helps...

Caroline
#3 of 19 Old 07-29-2004, 10:26 PM

Glad to hear that your experience with the Evenflo Triumph is a good one -- I've recently added that to my registry list.

On the same topic, I'm a bit of a hiker/walker/(sometimes)runner...and expect that for a good while, I'll likely walk and hike with baby in a sling. For eventual running, I've thought about getting a job stroller, but wonder if it's really worth it.

Any comments from experienced moms?

TIA,
Allison

#4 of 19 Old 07-30-2004, 11:59 AM

We are intending to go for a Britax later on (seems worth the investment) But will be purchasing a stroller and car seat combo (rearfacing removeable type) to start with.
We went to Target and took some down and messed with them. Tried folding them up and unfolding them, attaching and unattaching stuff... I was surprised how much I liked or disliked certain things. We ended up registering for a Graco. (I liked the fabric, Jerome liked the wheels, we both liked how easy it was to fold up and then unfold) however, no one purchased it for the baby shower last weekend. My father in law and his wife gave us a check specifically for buying it (Their Target didn't have it in stock) So, we have the check in hand, but are now thinking we should look around a little bit more. We were registering in a big rush!

i know someone here has access to reviews and stuff and is pretty knowledgeable about car seats... any takers?

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#5 of 19 Old 07-30-2004, 01:42 PM

Anna, I have researched the heck out of carseats!!! I sure have had to buy enough! I really don't think the Britax are worth the price. My friends have them, and I don't see the appeal. A good carseat is a good carseat. And carseats do NOT last forever as some people think. They get peed on, pooped on, thrown up in...eventually they are just nasty. I have never been able to really pass a carseat down to a next child, except maybe a booster. But, the Britax's are good, just depends what you are looking for. Another friend just asked for my carseat links and I can't find them, so when I do, I will post them here.

Which Graco did you get? I like the Gracos, they are nice, I just wanted something lighter. They do get heavy, and take up a lot of trunk space!! But they are very durable. I have one that I use for around my neighborhood that I have had for 6 years. I went for the Peg Perego this time for a very simple reason....4 kids + 1 dog + a minivan = very little space!!!

Caroline
#6 of 19 Old 07-30-2004, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allibabble
Glad to hear that your experience with the Evenflo Triumph is a good one -- I've recently added that to my registry list.

On the same topic, I'm a bit of a hiker/walker/(sometimes)runner...and expect that for a good while, I'll likely walk and hike with baby in a sling. For eventual running, I've thought about getting a job stroller, but wonder if it's really worth it.

Any comments from experienced moms?

TIA,
Allison

Allison, I have never owned a jogging stroller...sorry. I borrowed one once, and the one thing I didn't get was that the front wheel didn't turn...it was hard to manuver. I don't know if they are all like that...

Caroline
#7 of 19 Old 07-30-2004, 02:37 PM

re: jogging strollers - there is a thread buried here somewhere on the September page about baby gear, in which there is a lot of talk about jogging strollers. There is also joggingstroller.com where you can compare different versions. Although I haven't gone out and tested any yet (I hope to because I would love to inline skate with baby), I've been told that Babies r us is a good place to go try all of them out.

We received an Evenflo stroller ("travel system" :LOL) from Target as a baby shower gift, and it says it takes an infant seat, but we didn't register for the infant seat because we already have an infant seat and a convertible seat. Since baby's due in Sept and the snowy season sometimes starts here in October, I think we'll be safe. The stroller we received leans back into a carriage anyway.

My big question: exactly how many moms out there pay attention to the "NO HOT BEVERAGES!" sign in the cup holder by the grip? How many coffee cups have I seen being strolled around in shopping malls?!!

Has anyone here ever travelled by plane or train with a non-umbrella stroller? Ours does fold up rather quickly, but I'm wondering how awkward it is to deal with when flying.

tia - j.

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#8 of 19 Old 07-30-2004, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls
My big question: exactly how many moms out there pay attention to the "NO HOT BEVERAGES!" sign in the cup holder by the grip? How many coffee cups have I seen being strolled around in shopping malls?!!

tia - j.

:

Caroline
#9 of 19 Old 07-30-2004, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls

Has anyone here ever travelled by plane or train with a non-umbrella stroller? Ours does fold up rather quickly, but I'm wondering how awkward it is to deal with when flying.

tia - j.

I have only used umbrella strollers when flying...but it is so easy I would think any stroller would work. YOu roll up to the door of the plane, and a flight attendent takes it and checks it for you. Although, I haven't flown since 9/11 security changes, and I don't know if that is the current procedure!

Caroline
#10 of 19 Old 07-30-2004, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline248
You roll up to the door of the plane, and a flight attendant takes it and checks it for you.
Oh, that's easy! Super. Just something to keep in mind, I guess, if we ever fly to go visit grandma down in Texas...

And Caroline, rest assured I was poking fun at the stroller manufacturer and their need to go overboard on the safety regulations. I can understand the big bold "NEVER LET A CHILD IN A STROLLER OUT OF YOUR SIGHT!" and stuff like that, but the need to tell moms that they can't put a cup of coffee in their cup holder? But I suppose, if they didn't and some mom did and ended up spilling hot coffee on her baby, she could sue the company for a million dollars and the company would probably lose...

Common sense, folks, that's all I'm asking for.

j

#11 of 19 Old 07-30-2004, 03:21 PM

I started at with the Graco Coachrider Travel system. Huge waste of money IMO. It was $220. It would have been cheaper to buy the pieces seperately. Plus that thing is so huge and bulky its is such a pain putting it in the trunk. And its so big when you are pushing it. People in stores and restaurants look at you like you are driving a car through the store. If I could do it all over again I would buy an infant carrier as a carseat (for the first 4 months or so) and just sling my baby. Especially since young babies are so light. My baby hated being in the stroller as a young baby. Once he was about 4 months and wanted to see around I got him a $40 stroller from fisher price that was like one step up from an umbrella stroller. He loves it. He gets to see everything on our walks. And it's really llight! I would definitely get an infant carrier for a carseat. We have an infant-toddler convertible seat and theres no way he could have been in there as ayoung infant.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#12 of 19 Old 07-30-2004, 05:01 PM

We started out with a Graco 'travel' system with DD. I really like having the "bucket'. I know a lot of people hate them but I think they have there place and purpose. Not all newborns like slings and pouches. DD only really liked one carrier and that was still only good for a short time. She was happy to be in the stroller. And you NEVER wake a sleeping newborn, having that removeable bucket is really nice. Gives you a place to put the newborn when you do in and eat someplace too.

I liked the Graco but it isn't as maneavourable and is heavier than some of the other strollers we've tried out since then. We now have 2 Peg Perego strollers. David has one (for DD when we are out a long time) and I have one (for DS who loves his stroller, feet are happily bouncing constantly). David's stroller is a Pliko (which is an "umbrella" style one) it's nice and light and fairly compacted. Mine is a Venezia, its a little bit heavier but still lighter than the Graco. I like that it is reversible, I can have Jack face me and it does fully recline into a bassinet style which is nice for newborns. Both have the toddler/small child step on the back so DD can easily stand on it when she's tired and we only have one stroller with us.

I tried the double strollers but they are so hard to navigate. They are like a HUGE land barge. Especially since you want to have the infant in the back (near you) you have a heavier toddler in the front which throws the balance off. I've tried the Graco Duo-glider and the Inglesina Biposto twin strollers. Definitely liked the Inglesina better than the Graco. After having the Inglesina for a while, I decided we should go with 2 strollers. It actually makes shopping as a family easier for us. We each have a child and can each get around quickly. And we can split up if we want to and no one is left trying to keep up with both kids. Of course that will change with Radish's appearance. :LOL

I'm going get the Peg Perego infant seat to go with one of the strollers. We have 2 Britax RAs for Tori and Jack right now. We are going to move Tori up to a Marathon or Wizard (David is really leaning toward the Wizard because of the head restaint system) and I'm ordering new covers for the RAs. After using the bucket Radish will go into one of the RAs. Ours have held up really well. I like how easily the Britax covers come off and can be washed. Ours have washed up great. We have the Sandstone with is kind of a velvet plush, and it has gotten 'worn' in a couple spots especially where Tori climbs over into her seat (my little dirty monkey :LOL). I plan on replacing the covers with the Jefferson which is a corduroy material. Much more rugged and durable.

We have a Kelty jogging stroller. David is a runner (I am SOOO not! :LOL) but he's only used it a couple of times. It's a really nice one but I've hated using it the couple of times we tried with DD (just out and about at the park and such). I hate that the front wheel is locked, it really makes it hard to turn at least at a walk speed. I can see *why* it needs to be locked while running but it hurt my back trying to navigate it around at a walk. I need to put it up on eBay, it's just hanging out in the attic right now. :LOL

ETA: Oh DS hated the sling (and I tried a bunch of different ones, I have at least 10+ different carrier/sling/pouches) until he was about 4 months old, then he loved it. So he was happiest being held against my shoulder or in his bucket/stroller.
#13 of 19 Old 07-30-2004, 11:28 PM

Jen - save yourself the trouble when you're flying and just bring the sling. It is so nice to have both your hands free. I fly by myself (with Jack) all the time, and it feels so great to be strolling unencumbered through the airport while everyone is pushing their big stroller through and struggling to get through security, etc.

Anna- do you have a babies r us or even a toys r us near you? In my experience, Target's selection of baby carseats is very limited. Target still also sells the infant seats that are only the three point harnesses (which I can't believe anyone still makes). But you can't go wrong with a Graco (as long as it is 5 points) - their infant seats are consistently rated highest by Consumer Reports.
#14 of 19 Old 07-31-2004, 01:36 AM

Sarah - do you have to purchase a separate seat for Jack or is he still legal on your lap? And how does he do with flying?

This is way off topic. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather (although I can imagine that others may be interested...?)

j

#15 of 19 Old 07-31-2004, 01:49 AM

His last free flight was last week However, the only place we ever really go is to my grandma's in NY (about 5-6 x year) and she has graciously offered to pay for his ticket whenever we want to come up. He has sat buckled into his own seat for quite some time now, although technically if the flight was full he would have to be in my lap. When he was littler and even now if he is sleeping or grumpy, I stealthily anchor him to me with my maya wrap around his waist and mine. Usually I drap the tail of the wrap in such a way that it looks like he just has a blanket on. I have to do this in secret because the flight attendants will chew you out if they see you with the sling on - as it is not approved by the FAA. So that I don't arouse suspicion, I don't wear the sling while I am getting on the plane. However, I think it is ridiculous that they think a baby would be safer in just my arms as opposed to securely fastened to my body, which is securely fastened to the seat. Okay, I'll get off my sling rant now...

I've never bothered bringing the car seat on as it seems like too much hassle and without trying to be really dark and depressing, if your plane crashes, a car seat isn't really going to do much. I always just check the car seat, but I use a great car seat travel bag that I bought at Babies R Us for about $20. It makes it much easier to carry the seat into the airport and protects it from grime, mishandling, etc.

He has always done really well flying, never had any problems with his ears or anything. When he was little, I always made sure to sit next to a little old lady if I could find one, because they usually delight in having a baby to play with for a while!
#16 of 19 Old 07-31-2004, 11:53 AM

I have always purchased a seat and brought my carseat. BUT, I have to say it really stinks doing that when you are flying alone. I think if I had one child, I wold hold them on my lap. But with three...that is not an option. If you or another child has to go to the bathroom or whatever, it was nice to have a place to buckle the baby. I think the easy answer is we can't afford to fly anymore, not with FOUR kids, so it is now a non-issue!!

With bringing the stroller to the plane, I look at it from the view of several children. Slinging is not as convienent with the more kdis you have. But with one, yeah, I guess that would be just as easy!

Caroline
#17 of 19 Old 08-03-2004, 02:33 PM

I haven't seen this option mentioned so here goes:

If you want the convenience of a the carseat/stroller combo without the bulk buy in separate pieces, the carseat (I recommend the Graco Snugride, 5 pt harness - rated high by Consumer Reports) a carseat stroller frame like this http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...15301?v=glance and then when baby is older and out of the carseat invest in a lightweight and less expensive stroller. Overall probably cheaper and easier than a fancy travel system.

I personally went with a carseat and stroller that aren't a combo, but do work together. I have the Snugride plus a Zooper Boogie jogging stroller - but that's a pricy option and it is not lightweight. We love the stroller though! And for the jogging stroller discussion - my favorite feature is that the front wheel turns, although it is lockable to only go straight when needed!

Laurie wahm (virtual paralegal) of 3 wonderful boys (11, 9, 5). 1st by c-section for breech, 2 by VBAC (one miscarriage between child #1 and #2).

#18 of 19 Old 08-15-2004, 06:06 AM

i hope this post isn't too late for you!

i, personally, do not suggest the infant seat/stroller combo. many of my friends went with the graco combos and ended up storing them in the garage and optiing for something lighter later on. but you do need a stroller that can carry your infant seat if you're not going to wear baby when young. i HIGHLY recommend this stroller: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...A1F83G8C2ARO7P

it's the baby trendsport light. this is what we have and it is just about as roomy as a graco yet fits the graco snug rides perfectly. for trips to the mall it's so light and folds flat. it's not for heavy duty use, like trail walking/jogging but neither is the graco. it steers and folds easily. a great bargain. better than an umbrella and really all you'l probably need. i also have a zooper that i use for trail walks - not cheap but worth it if you jog/trail walk. high weight range (i think 45lbs). AND you can fit the graco in the zooper too!

as for car seats, the graco gets high safety marks and is a cinch to use (i had mine installed by the fire dept so not sure about that but it took them about 5 minutes). my DD has almost outgrown hers in the length already at 2 1/2 months but i prefer it to a larger convert for the early months. we own a britax wizard which we haven't used yet but they are worth their price (even w/recent recall!) because of how long you get to use them for. and you can use them from birth as long as baby is big enough (7lbs, i think?) my friends all use britax and they love them and i love how easy the wizard is to adjust. the head wings are s'posed to be good extra safety features and babes fall asleep on them...

a GREAT idea would be to get the book "baby bargains" by denise and alan fields. they have reviews of products and don't just tout cheap stuff but help you decide what are best buys...cheapest isn't always best and more expensive can be worth it if in the long run you need to replace it. but that trendsprt lite is great because i think it's both.

good luck
#19 of 19 Old 07-31-2016, 07:41 PM

Best Stroller Buying Guide for New Parents

Strollers can be a parent’s best friend, but choosing the wrong baby stroller could spell trouble and inconvenience. How can you choose the right baby stroller from the many available in stores and via the Internet? Strollers are available to match just about any lifestyle, so think about how you want to use the stroller first and then look at strollers that best fit your life and your baby.

Safety Features Are Important For Strollers
As always, baby’s safety is the biggest concern. Check strollers for stability before buying, and don’t forget to see if the stroller will remain upright with a diaper bag hanging over the handles! Also check the stroller harness. A five-point harness is best, especially for infants or babies who are in the stroller a lot. For occasional mall trips, a three-point harness might be OK. Look for pinch points and sharp corners, too.

Stroller Wheels and Handles
Walk your favorite strollers through the store before making a purchase.

Check the height of the handles to be... read more on babysing stroller site

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page