Running? walking? jogging? Power walking? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 10-21-2008, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I"ve heard various things about these, what I want to know is who's done a few of these and how did your weight loss/health change with one vs the other?

Like, were you a walker and then started jogging and immediately dropped 15 lbs that month?>

Stuff like that, or vise versa?

Thanks mamas!

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 10-21-2008, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started walking, then jogging, now I am running. I didn't have any dramatic weight loss as I increased my speed and mileage over time. It has been about 2 years since I started, taking a few months off each winter. At first, I could only walk a few miles and now I run 7. I lost about 15 lbs, plus my muscles are nicely toned, I'm happier than I've ever been, and I actually think I look good too. I don't have a desire to lose any more weight, just wanna maintain.

*Liz* : mountain mama to DS 12/04
#3 of 3 Old 10-22-2008, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Honestly, running/jogging/etc by itself isn't necessarily going to cause a major weight loss, regardless of how you do it unless you're going from doing absolutely nothing to doing a lot of activity. In which case, you'll probably drop some to start off with and then plateau. If you're looking for weight loss, the biggest thing is to start doing some activity (ANY activity) and do that in conjunction with some sort of nutritional change. Not necessarily a diet, unless you need one, but eating better/more healthily. A few years ago, I started running with a friend but was never able to lose any weight. Last year, I started running again, but also changed my diet significantly and the weight melted off. The problem with running to lose weight is that as your mileage creeps up, you start getting hungry and it's really easy to end up eating more than you burned off! It seems like the latest research is showing that a combination program that includes both cardio (so, running) AND some sort of strength training/weight lifting gives you the biggest improvement in health along with weight loss.

That said, the other benefits of running are fantastic. The cardiovascular workout is great, and I always feel good for the rest of the day after I run. If you improve your overall health, regardless of whether or not you're losing weight, that's a good thing, right?!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page