Mothering Forum banner

Stainless Steel cookware

6K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  FairyMomma 
#1 ·
I would like to replace my non-stick wok with stainless steel cookware, but looking through a Chef's catalogue, I am boggled by all the choices out there!!
What's the difference betw all those stainless steel pans, skillets, or whatevers, how do I tell which is better, and why? What contributes to the price difference? Any advice/recommendations??

TIA!!

#2 ·
We're getting a new set from my parents for Christmas so I can finally throw away the nasty T-Fal set we have. I can't wait!

I finally settled on the Cuisinart Everyday Stainless set. (It was only $149 with free shipping for the 10 peice set from amazon.com)

I wanted the set not have aluminum (most of the cheaper stainless sets use aluminum inside to conduct heat evenly - everything I've heard/read says copper is a lot better) , and I really wanted a set that had no rivets on the inside that would be a pain to clean.

The Everyday Stainless line was the *only* one I found from any maker that was a reasonable cost AND had the two "required features".

#4 ·
I also got the Cuisinart set from amazon and have been very happy with it. They are nice heavy pans. Easy to clean. But I do need to adjust my cooking technique. I'm used to nonstick or cast-iron, and I still haven't been able to cook eggs and potatoes on the stainless steel without the entire thing sticking to the bottom. Went back to cast-iron for that. But, as I said, I think it's a cooking technique thing.

#5 ·
i feel like such a cookware dolt. last week i bought a nice new teflon set. then promptly read the threads about how toxic that stuff is. so i saw a nice stainless steel set for only 30 dollars (12 pc) on sale for boxing day. it's really pretty and i can taste the difference. but it has aluminum inside. is this really bad? can it really be absorbed into food from the inside? i don't want to have to buy a third set in one month..

#6 ·
MamaBeard,
most stainless steel cookware do have either aluminium or copper core to help with heat conduction becoz stainless steel itself is not an excellent heat conduction. From what I've read, it's ok so long as the surface is hard and doesn't get scratched- that's how the aluminium will leak into your food, yuk.

#8 ·
A test:

put a cup of water and about 2 teaspoons of baking soda in your pan. Let it come to a boil. Taste a teeny tiny drop. In a sealed stainless steel pan (or pot) it should taste like flat alka seltzer. If it's bitter or truly repulsive..... that's the same flavor that your food is taking on. The worst is from those teflon coatings, but that aluminum stuff isn't far behind. The best pans I've ever found, I can't afford. I saved and saved and bought one skillet for a couple hundred dollars... But I use it for everything (literally...) and I use it every single day. The taste of food is definitely distinguishable between pans. This one is made from Surgical steel... a higher grade... and contains no aluminum in the core... just heavier steel.

#10 ·
I have Cuisinart set, have had it almost 7 years. My Mom bought it from Costco for me. Two of the pans have seperated in those layers so every time you use them they pop and crackle. One scared me so I threw it out. The other isnt that bad. Its isnt waterless, which I really miss.

MY Mom has some of the best cookware. Its waterless and surgical stainless. Called Permanent, its Multi core, 5 ply stainless steel. She has had it for over 25 years.

Unfortunately, they dont make it anymore but they make something simular and its very $$$$!

The scratch would have to be pretty deep on most pans that I have seen to ever get to the aluminum layer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.