Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (https://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Nutrition and Good Eating (https://www.mothering.com/forum/267-nutrition-good-eating/)
-   -   Vitamins for Toddler (https://www.mothering.com/forum/267-nutrition-good-eating/1170017-vitamins-toddler.html)

lmk1 12-06-2009 11:44 PM

I got some vitamin D drops for my son, and I'd like to get a multi-vitamin. Most of everything I see are chewable vitamins...aren't those bad for their teeth?? Also, the liquid stuff seems to have malitol or some other fake sugar? Does anyone have recommendations?

naturalmom08 12-08-2009 03:53 PM

I don't think the chewable or gummy children's multivitamins are necessarily really bad for their teeth. I think it's just like anything else. The ones we use are called Nordic Berries, by Nordic Naturals. I love that brand and know that it's a good quality supplement. There are no artificial sweeteners in it, although there are some natural sweeteners, like cane juice and such. Everything is organic as well. It's a good quality supplement that is easy for toddlers to take. We also do a vitamin D supplement (although only 2-3 times per week because the multi already has 100% RDA in it, and you want to be careful not to overdose on vitamin D as well). We also do a probiotic and a DHA supplement.

heidirk 12-09-2009 02:25 AM

can I also add from personal experience...

don't overdo the supplementing with calcium. Lots of things are calcium fortified, and too much calcium can block magnesium absorbtion....

Martha27 12-09-2009 02:33 AM

I had this question too and still haven't really figured anything out. My two toddlers did get a multivit prescription from their ped. but she added flouride to it and im not so sure about giving them flouride like that :/ So I havent been giving them anything and thinking they are getting all they need b/c they are such good eaters but I dont really know? I did give them a Vit D chewable the other day (Natures plus brand) but it made my 3 yo seem more hyper and she was acting out more than normal, a friend of mine has had the same experince with these vit too, not sure if it's the brand or the vit D itself? I'm going to try again with it and see if she acts differently again or if it was just coincidence.

blueridgewoman 12-09-2009 04:36 PM

I give my daughter the children's multivitamin from www.mercola.com and she gets supplementary Vit D and A as well. I chose the mercola vitamins because they're one of the only brands I could find without fake sugars and general disgustingness and the vitamins are also made with chelated minerals which means they're more bio-available. Plus, this was one of the only ones I could find with minerals in them at all. We've been really happy with them and my 2 year old loves them.