Pumpkin - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 12-08-2009, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 2 cans of pumpkin that I'd like to use up... I was thinking pumpkin soup, but we are dairy free and I can't find a recipe without that.

Anyone have a recipe for a DF soup, or any other suggestions for what I can do with this?

We are Gluten-free, Dairy-Free and vegetarian...

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 12-08-2009, 05:29 PM

Will these fit your needs? I've made them once and they were totally yummy, despite how odd they sound. You may need to do some substitutions, but the recipe seemed pretty flexible to me.

CPST ***I can help keep your child safe in the car. Ask me a car seat question!***
#3 of 10 Old 12-08-2009, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't have a DF pumpkin soup recipe, but I often make a pureed potato soup with leeks that is dairy optional. You could probably do something similar:

-Saute one chopped onion and 2 minced garlic cloves (garlic optional) in 2 tablespoons oil. [Optional - Add dried herbs (thyme, basil, oregano)]
-Add 2 chopped leeks and saute until softened (about 8 minutes).
-Add 4 cups chopped potato and 4 cups vegetable stock and bring to boil.
-Reduce to simmer, until potatoes are tender.
-Remove from heat and puree.
-Add 1/2 cup cream (optional)
-Add salt and pepper to taste.

For pumpkin soup, I would saute the onion, and maybe a diced apple or 2, and some dried seasonings, for about 5 minutes. Then add the pumpkin puree and then add vegetable stock until it's the consistency you like (maybe 1/2 to 1 cup).

For seasonings, I would experiment with some dried, crumbled sage, or thyme or if you like spicy, some cayenne or chili.

If adding apple, I would puree the whole thing before serving.

Hope that helps.

#4 of 10 Old 12-08-2009, 08:50 PM

how about this (the sour cream is optional)?

Curried Pumpkin Soup Recipe

2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 med onion, peeled and quartered
1 lg. jalapeno pepper, seeded and -coarsely chopped
2 Stalks celery, cut into -2-inch lengths
3 lg. Carrots, peeled and sliced -1/4 inch thick
2 tbsp. Olive oil
1 3/4 lb. pumpkin, peeled, -seeded, and cut -into 1-inch dice
3 c Low-salt chicken stock
1 Bay leaf
2 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. Turmeric
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp. salt
freshly ground pepper
1/4 c shelled raw pumpkin seeds
2 tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 tbsp. sour cream (optional)

Place garlic in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add onion and pulse until finely chopped. Set aside. Place jalapeno in food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add celery and pulse until finely chopped. Set aside. Place carrots in food processor and pulse until finely chopped.

Heat 1 tbsp. of the olive oil in a medium stockpot over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes. Add jalapeno, celery, and carrots and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the pumpkin, chicken stock, bay leaf, curry, turmeric, cayenne, 1 tsp. of the salt, and pepper to taste, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small sauté pan, heat remaining tbsp. of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add pumpkin seeds and remaining 1/2 t salt and cook for about 30 seconds, shaking pan constantly to prevent burning, until all the seeds have popped. Remove from heat and add parsley.

Place 2 cups of the cooked vegetables and about 1/2 cups of the liquid in the bowl of a food processor and puree until smooth. Stir puree back into the soup. Adjust seasonings, and stir in the sour cream, if desired. Garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds.
#5 of 10 Old 12-08-2009, 11:36 PM

Try subbing coconut milk in the pumpkin soup recipe! I used it as a sub for evaporated milk in pumpkin pie and it was so yummy.

I'm not overly familiar with GF limitations, can you do oatmeal? I made pumpkin oatmeal recently. Just cooked as normal (I use rice milk in mine) then added pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices. You could toss some dried cranberries, raisins, walnuts, or pepitas (which is what I did) in as well. I think I used honey or brown sugar to sweeten. I can't remember. It was awesome.

I also do this recipe dairy free (DF choc. chips, DF margarine)
Pumpkin Chocolate-Chip Squares

Makes 24; Prep time: 30 minutes; Total time: 2 1/2 hours
In addition to keeping the cake from sticking to the pan, lining the pan with foil makes it easy to lift it out after baking.

2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1 tablespoon pumpkin-pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup canned pumpkin purée
1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottom and sides of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with foil, leaving an overhang on all sides. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, pie spice, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

2. With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium-high speed until smooth; beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in pumpkin purée (mixture may appear curdled). Reduce speed to low, and mix in dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.

3. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake until edges begin to pull away from sides of pan and a toothpick inserted in center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely in pan.

4. Lift cake from pan (using foil as an aid). Peel off foil, and use a serrated knife to cut into 24 squares.

Note: If you can’t find pumpkin-pie spice, substitute 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon ginger, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon each allspice and cloves (all ground).
#6 of 10 Old 12-09-2009, 12:49 AM

I make a pumpkin soup with andouille sausage that is really yummy. I add a bit of cream at the very end to cut the spiciness, but that's entirely optional. And it's easily cut in half or it also does well in the freezer.

Spicy Pumpkin Soup

Use a very heavy hand with the salt, it makes all the difference between a bland soup and a flavorful soup. This soup gets spicier the longer it sits. By the end of the week I need to stir a Tablespoon or 2 of cream into each bowl before serving it.

1 lb. Andouille,Chopped
2 sm Onion,Chopped
6 each Garlic,Sliced
1/2 cup White Wine
8 cups Chicken Stock
7 1/2 cups Pumpkin (2 29oz Cans or 1-2 Small Sugar Pumpkins, Mashed)
1 tablespoon Ginger Juice
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup Cream
Tarragon,Thyme
Basil, Oregano, Nutmeg, To Taste
Salt And Pepper,To Taste
1 stick Cinnamon
2 each Allspice
2 each Star Anise
4 White Peppercorns
1 Dry Ginger (not crystallized)
2 Dried Citrus Peel

Heat a heavy bottomed stock pot over a medium flame. Add the andouille, and allow it to render, stirring occasionally until there's sufficient fat to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the onions and garlic, continue to stir occasionally until the onions caramelize and stick to the bottom of the pan in a thick layer.

Deglaze the pan with the wine. Pour the wine into the hot pan all at once, constantly scraping the bottom of the pan until it's clean (wine will be boiling). Turn heat to low, pour in the chicken stock and stir well.

Tie the hard spices into a bundle, using cheesecloth or a coffee filter, drop it into the soup and allow to steep while the soup comes up to a boil (1+ hr). You should be able to smell the aromatics from the bundle at this point, if not, allow to steep a bit longer. Remove the bundle and discard.

Stir in the pumpkin and add the remaining seasonings and sweetener. Reduce the heat to prevent it from boiling. Once it's seasoned to your taste, stir in the cream and do not boil it after this point. Re-season if necessary.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#7 of 10 Old 12-09-2009, 02:38 PM

We have pumpkin quiche every so often for dinner. I love it! I especially love pumpkin as a savory ingredient. You can also stir some into your oatmeal, or into mashed potatoes (it's especially good with sweet potatoes). And this pumpkin risotto is absolutely to-die-for.
#8 of 10 Old 12-09-2009, 02:45 PM

My very simple idea is to mix it with apple juice.

Sautee onions in whatever fat you like (olive or coconut oil, I guess). Spice with curry. Add pumpkin and then apple juice to the consistency you'd like. Salt to taste. Coconut milk might be nice too, especially if you use coconut oil too.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#9 of 10 Old 12-09-2009, 05:02 PM

i put a can of pumkin in my chili, you can't really taste it but it thickens it and adds more nutrients

Me, my Husband and three little Boys! 7, 5 and 7 1/2 months! Life is good!
#10 of 10 Old 12-09-2009, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I love to make pumpkin fritters:

2 C pumpkin
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 C flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda and salt

mix together and drop by spoonfuls into hot oil, turn and fry till brown and done inside, dust with cinnamon sugar

Happy mama to three DD's age 13
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, age 10.5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, age 8
and DS, born January 6

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page