Sugar in public schools! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 1 Old 12-02-2015, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sugar in public schools!

Hi, all ~ my apologies if this has been addressed anywhere, but I am beyond. My son, after all of his preschool years & kindergarten at a Montessori, where healthy snacks were served, is now in 1st Grade at what is otherwise a lovely school we are very happy in.

However, sugar is offered as a reward for EVERYTHING - good attendance, for one. Ice Cream parties to celebrate which class brings in the most box tops. Their Fall Festival served pizza and Chik Fil A, along with ice cream, of course.

To me, it's no wonder the country suffers from such an obesity epidemic when kids are literally taught, by their teachers and schools, to reward themselves with sugar, carbs & fat!

I am NO health fiend, believe me, and everyone who knows me would laugh if they heard someone call me that. But sugar is, as we say in Texas, no bueno, particularly when kids are trying to focus and learn.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's come up against this, and any solutions they've been able to come up with. Maybe together we can figure out some solutions! Thanks in advance.

Tags
Food , Health , kids , schools , Sugar

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page