ISO Bean Recipes (aka, I'm a bean failure tonight, lol!) - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 07-02-2004, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love baked beans, but the last couple of times I've made them, they've always come out hard. I soak them overnight or longer. I follow the recipes to a t, but I always need tons more water. I've spent the day making baked beans but despite my efforts, they are still pretty hard after plenty of water (I probably used about 10 times the amount the recipe called for) and nearly 9 hours of baking.

Preferably I need some recipes that can be made in the oven. I had a lot more sucess with a crockpot but ours broke about a year ago and I haven't found one I like. I am on the lookout though for one on sale.

Any bean recipes at all are good! I have lot of different dried beans. I need some that are tried and true as I want to be able to make cheap meals. They don't have to be vegetarian as we're meat eaters

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 07-03-2004, 12:28 PM

i had this problem. are you salting them? is your water hard? are they old?

these were the problems i had. no salt till the end, using filtered water, & giving up on the damned food bank beans & buying new at a store with good bean turnover solved my bean issues (well, some of them, lol. the last issue of 'countryside journal' i had had about 1000 solutions for *that*, & i had tried them all- down to 'beano'. the only non-fart beans i ran across were the fermented ones i made from 'nourishing traditions', the bean dip recipe, but *bleah*, they tasted like kraut, not at all what i was looking for! cooking a la refritos didn't help; they tasted like *fried* kraut. finally i made a spicy cajun red bean soup & THAT was incredible; the flavor shone in that usage. fartless bean soup!)

anyway, i don't have a recipe onhand, but i thought you would be reassured that IT IS NOT YOU. most likely, the beans you are cooking are old. i remember cooking little pebbly beans all night, too! i was making hollandaises & souffles & glaces & baked alaskas for years before i could make a decent pot of beans! so, any recipes you try with those caveats will prolly be great.

good luck- you, too, can cook beans!

suse

ps everyone who helped me with this when i wrote in with the same prob, four years ago, thanks!!!
#3 of 5 Old 07-03-2004, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks . I used salt and our water isn't hard. I dont' think the beans are old as I just bought them a couple of months ago, but then it's hard to say how long they've been at the store.

I'm wondering if maybe that I added the "flavoring" when putting in the oven might have done it (tomato sauce, molasses, ect...). I think I read once that sugar while baking may make them hard (which I remembered well after the fact : ). I wonder if maybe boiling the beans then adding the flavor ingredients and baking for a while would help.

I'm going to try to salvage the leftovers by making soup (DH liked them even though they were hard, but DS and I were a little pickier). When all else fails, make soup, lol!

#4 of 5 Old 07-03-2004, 09:40 PM

No one has any bean recipes? I need some too! Pretty please?
#5 of 5 Old 07-03-2004, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

I thought there would be a deluge of bean recipes, lol! I'll be patient

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page