Crusty PB? Help! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 10-04-2004, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if anyone could help me.

We use Smucker's Natural peanut butter and it has been great until now. All the natural oils are drying up (I refridgerate it) and now, the last 1/4 of the jar is dry. I broke 2 pieces of bread trying to spread it.

Any suggestions on recovering moisture? Different brand next time? Anything?

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 10-04-2004, 05:21 PM

Oil doesn't dry up, it's just that it rises to the top so the peanut butter on the top is much oilier than the stuff on the bottom. You need to give the jar a really good stir when you first open it, and then when you use it, every so often, give it another energetic stir. I always get the peanut oil that seperates too, but lately I've been reading that the tropical oils they use to emulsify normal peanut butter, like palm oil, are really healthy after all. I don't think that you need to keep it in the fridge, but then I live in a really cool climate where we don't refridgerate butter, jam, or eggs either.

As to your current peanut butter problem, you could stir in some new peanut oil or other healthy oil.
#3 of 5 Old 10-04-2004, 05:39 PM

I also find storing it upside down helps. That way the oil "rises" to the top, actually the bottom. Then, keep stirring until it is the correct consistency. I would make sure the lid/top is on very tight so that there is no seepage from the oil in the peanut butter.

#4 of 5 Old 10-04-2004, 05:41 PM

To get the oil stirred in really well when you first start, I turn the unopened jar upside down in the cupboard for a few days to a week before I open it. Then when I do open it, the oil is not all on the top & easier to stir in. I do keep it in the fridge once open, too.

The natural brand that I have found that I like best is Marantha. It is really yummy, smooth, & blends well so that you aren't left with thick, dry nuts on the bottom. I would stick with the natural stuff b/c the regular pbs have hydrogenated oils, I believe, not just palm oil (I think, anyway - it's been a while since I checked!).
#5 of 5 Old 10-04-2004, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Ahhhhhh, I see. Thanks much. I will try these techniques with the new jar once I go grocery shopping. I haven't heard of Marantha, but maybe I will find it at the HFS, not Wal-Mart...: Thanks so much ya'll! Oh, and welcome Catarina and ladywolf to the boards!

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page