Soy milk maker? (more) - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 02-21-2003, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am thinking about buying one since we go through so much soy milk in a week!

Does anyone have one? Tips? Ideas?

Thank you,
Debra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-21-2003, 09:27 PM

I got the SoyaJoy for my birthday in Nov.
I love it. It is saving me loads of money I am sure. I like that I can sweeten some soy milk for drinking if I want, but leave the bulk of it plain for baking with.
One thing I have found is that the filter is not very thorough. After the soymilk is done, I strain it through a Gerber flatfold birdseye weave diaper. They are about the only diaper cheap enough to be right for the job. I actually buy those just for the kitchen. They are a step up from cheesecloth, but looser weave than muslin. Perfect!
#3 of 6 Old 02-22-2003, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

I am expecting this June and I bought 4 dozen Tiny Tots irregular gauze flats since my stash of newborn sized Chinese prefolds only made it through 3 kids before shredding! I'll be sure to save some new diapers for the kitchen!

#4 of 6 Old 03-02-2003, 01:48 PM

My mom bought us a Soy Toy and I have to admit, I'm not thrilled with it- the milk tastes really beany and the texture isn't all that endearing, either.

RasJane- how does your machine work? Ours kind of cooks the b eans and then grinds them and cooks them a bit more (I think...) then you have to strain the resulting glop. I'll try your diaper trick on the next batch but I have to admit I find myself using commercial soy milk more than not.
#5 of 6 Old 03-03-2003, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How about making your own almond milk? Almonds are a great source of calcium, iron, and protein. It's much less expensive than buying milk and saves on all that packaging. All you need is a blender - granted you will have to adjust to a different taste. I have recipes for several nut/seed milks in my book Simply Natural Baby Food. I'd be happy to post them if anyone is interested.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#6 of 6 Old 09-25-2004, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I know this is a really old thread, but I thought I'd bump it up to see if anyone else had a soy milk maker that they would recommend or avoid?

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page