Raw/Live Food-ist pregnant, help with proteins please! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 07-05-2006, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello!

Pregnant with baby #4, 5 weeks pregnant, 3 since conception !

I am aware that we don't really need to have as much protein as the gov't would lead us to believe...: but I trust my instincts and go with my flow, and right now it has been asking for proteins.

I am a Raw/live foodist hovering around 85-95% raw daily, hoping to get completely raw *real* soon. Late in day craving proteins, satisfying with a hard boiled egg or tuna, and not really happy with that, but it will have to do for now.

Any one have info on proper bean/seed/grain combining for complete proteins?

I am very allergic to nuts, so out of the question on that one. Can only do almonds, like once a week.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-05-2006, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabelle's Wish
I am aware that we don't really need to have as much protein as the gov't would lead us to believe...: but I trust my instincts and go with my flow, and right now it has been asking for proteins.
Sorry that I can't help with your original question, but I wanted to ask you about the above comment. I remember learning from a Bradley instructor that pregnant women need about 60g of protein daily, which I think is even more than the food pyramid suggests. Do you know this to be an unnecessary amount of protein?
#3 of 6 Old 08-11-2006, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

My apolgies for the delay in reply... I did not realize I had failed to update my email addy...and never saw that anyone replied.

Normal requirements are 60-70 g a day depending on where you look.

These assumptions are based on the Standard american diet, which is predominantly cooked {heated/dead} foods/proteins, which are not digestible/assimilatable. When eating live/raw foods with their enzymes intact {not destroyed by heat/cooking} you are able to make use of more of what you eat

Reference the book : RAWSOME! by Bridgette Mars pp. 18-19
"Because cooked foods are at least partially denatured, food that is cooked provides the body with much less protein than the same food in the raw state." ".....Researchers at the Max Plank Institute have found that when protein is consumed in it's raw state, a person needs only half as much as when protein is consummed after being cooked. ..."

#4 of 6 Old 08-11-2006, 01:07 PM

Protein doesn't come from protein, but from amino acids. A great way to get plenty of protein is from greens. Sprouts are also very high in protein. broccoli sprouts are very high in protein, as would sprouted beans be. Wheatgrass juice, kale blended drinks...all a great way to get it! Also-you need less protein when you consume raw foods because it is all available to your body. A better question is are you getting enough fat? Also are you including raw animal products in your diet or going completely plant based?
#5 of 6 Old 08-11-2006, 01:09 PM

Protein doesn't come from protein, but from amino acids. A great way to get plenty of protein is from greens. Sprouts are also very high in protein. broccoli sprouts are very high in protein, as would sprouted beans be. Also-sprouted grains! I love sprouted buckwheat. Wheatgrass juice, kale blended drinks...all a great way to get it! Also-you need less protein when you consume raw foods because it is all available to your body. A better question is are you getting enough fat? Also are you including raw animal products in your diet or going completely plant based?
#6 of 6 Old 08-11-2006, 01:11 PM

Oh, forgot to add...in all my reading I have never seen anyone talk about food combing except to say it's a silly, outdated concept. Over the course of the day you should get plenty of everything you need. HTH!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page