Concerned Husband of Breastfeeding Mom - Mothering Forums

#1 of 21 Old 12-29-2008, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had a baby girl 09/29/08. My wife has been breastfeeding -- pumping and bottle-feeding the milk -- ever since. Just 3 days ago, she started to experience dizziness and nausea for large parts of the day. She says she feels like she's drunk or something. I've done some looking on the net and it looks like others have experienced such symptoms but I find it strange that those symptoms just started. I am kind of worried about her. Wouldn't they have started immediately upon starting to pump? Is this really a common thing? What can be done to prevent it or ameliorate it? Any ideas or suggestions would be very much appreciated. This is our 2nd child and she did not experience this with the 1st. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 12-29-2008, 01:40 AM

Hmm - I have never had that when I am pumping, only if I am very hungry. I would talk to a doctor to make sure nothing else is wrong.

Some thoughts in the meantime: Is she getting enough rest and proper nutrition? Is it possible she could be pregnant? If you are concerned that the pumping is the culprit, can she work with a CLC or a LLL leader in her area to wean from the pump and BFed directly?

Thank you for being so concerned about your wife - I hope others can help even more!

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#3 of 21 Old 12-29-2008, 01:41 AM

that sounds like vertigo. could be an inner ear imbalance. definately see a doctor, there are anti-nausea drugs that can help.

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#4 of 21 Old 12-29-2008, 01:42 AM

Make sure she is drinking pleanty of fluids, and eating enough. Suggest that she eat a small but nutricious snack 20 minutes beofer she pumps.....

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and expecting
1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#5 of 21 Old 12-29-2008, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Doubt it's related to pumping. I'd make sure she's eating enough and see a doc if it continues.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#6 of 21 Old 12-29-2008, 04:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Is she taking any prescription medicine like domperidone?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Me +
Dh =
Dd1(9.5 yrs) +
Dd2(7 yrs) and
Ds(4.5 yrs)
#7 of 21 Old 12-29-2008, 10:31 AM

My 1st thought was also to look to her nutrition. Make sure she's getting enough food and water. Is she dieting and trying to lose baby weight?

I also think a home pregnancy test wouldn't be a bad idea.

What made you assume it was pumping/breastfeeding related?

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#8 of 21 Old 12-29-2008, 11:13 AM

i started to get dizzy too..so i called my dr ,she said that she doubted it had anything to do with bfding or pumping and she started talking to me about my liquid intake and turns out, while i drank plenty of "fluids" there was barely any water in my diet... As sooon as i started drinking more water the dizziness went away.. Hopefully thats the case... Good Luck!

Lauren- Mom to Nina 2.5 yrs. & Elaina 10 mo....our next bundle is due in June! joy.gif
#9 of 21 Old 12-29-2008, 12:49 PM

Congrats on your new baby!

Not to be too nosy, but why is your DW pumping & bottle feeding? If it is at all possible, breastfeeding directly is usually much easier over the long run. Please have her talk with a LLL leader or a hospital lactation consultant, to transition to direct breastfeeding, if possible.

to you all

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#10 of 21 Old 12-29-2008, 02:35 PM

One other thing that may be often overlooked in panic attacks. I never had panic attacks until I had children. I have no idea why. It makes you feel dizzy and you get scared for no good reason. I have pretty much learned to control them (breath deep, tell self there is nothing to be scared of except being scared). I say this b/c the same thing happened to my aunt and dr thought it must be an inner-ear thing. She was on meds etc., and it never got better. Turns out, she was also experiencing panic attacks.
#11 of 21 Old 12-30-2008, 01:52 PM

does she have a cold? I get woozy from colds all the time, they must hit my ears. I used to take sudafed which worked great but you can take it while bfing.

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
#12 of 21 Old 12-30-2008, 01:56 PM

I had that feeling once when I had an ear infection.

busy mama of three
#13 of 21 Old 12-30-2008, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Are you sure she isnt pregnant? Pregnancy can cause dizziness and nausea.

Mama to L (7) and A (born 7/15 by VBAC)
#14 of 21 Old 12-30-2008, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had symptoms just like that years ago when I became anemic.
#15 of 21 Old 12-30-2008, 05:58 PM

I had that when I was anemic, but I also had it when Riley had growth spurts (especially between 3-4 months) and got SO hungry and dizzy and nauseous. Is your little girl eating more than normal?

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#16 of 21 Old 12-30-2008, 06:26 PM

I know a breastfeeding mom who was feeling dizzy and nauseated recently after a few months of breastfeeding her new baby - she even felt as if she might be pregnant again - and the doctor told her she was dehydrated. Has your wife tried drinking more water?

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#17 of 21 Old 12-30-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJaneLouise View Post
Not to be too nosy, but why is your DW pumping & bottle feeding? If it is at all possible, breastfeeding directly is usually much easier over the long run. Please have her talk with a LLL leader ... to transition to direct breastfeeding, if possible.

to you all
Agreed.

Also agree with making sure she has more than enough food (snacks around the house for easy access) and water (again, around the house).

And iron...I liked floradix (from health food store) while pg, then no one told me how drastically and scarily low my iron was (took looking at my records over a year later for me to see) so I never took it after baby arrived, but quite a bit of exhaustion and funky feelings could have been lessened if I'd known and taken Floradix again!

And just like everyone else is also saying, a home pregnancy test wouldn't hurt just to see.
#18 of 21 Old 12-31-2008, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you for responding to my inquiry! I really appreciate the feedback. Our last child really bit hard so my wife wanted to do the pumping and bottle feeding this time. Since this happened 5 days ago (after 3 months of pumping and bottle feeding), my wife has switched to having the baby directly on the breast. It's much better with this child than with our first for some reason. She is dieting to lose pregnancy weight and she tries to eat "healthy" so perhaps that has something to do with it. I don't think she'd be pregnant but we'll look into that, too. Thanks again for all of your thoughtful replies!
#19 of 21 Old 12-31-2008, 11:58 PM

Could it be a post-partum thyroid issue?
#20 of 21 Old 01-01-2009, 08:43 PM

That's great that she's got the baby back to the breast! Hopefully that'll take some of the pressure off - pumping is hard work.
It sounds like something is off - my guess would be anaemia or a thyroid problem. Might be a good idea to get a blood test done to check out levels of various stuff. Meanwhile make sure your DW is eating well and drinking plenty of water. If she's on a diet she really shouldn't be losing more than a pound a week while breastfeeding. I've heard that Weight Watchers has a good program for BFing moms that takes into account the extra calories and nutrition you need to make milk.
Hope she feels better soon.

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#21 of 21 Old 01-01-2009, 10:17 PM

I love the fact that a concerned husband came here for help! Original poster, did you know we have a page for dads? Maybe you can stick around!

Julie, proud graduate of the AOW 3 year program in the study of boobology . Me : + DH : = Super Bubba !

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page