BFing relationship... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 12-29-2008, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so I'm gearing up for a new baby in May (I keep thinking it's coming in April ) and I want to hear from moms who've bf more than one- doesn't matter if you've tandemed or not.
I never bf ds1 (I'm not going to get into the whys and wherefors, it just didn't happen) but I've exclusively bf ds2- he had a bottle once- filled with bm- but just chewed on it.
Anyway, as a result of never bfing ds1, I don't know what to expect with a new baby. Is it going to be the same kind of struggle I had with ds2? Or possibly the same? Does it get "better" (easier?) with each baby you nurse?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 12-29-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Okay, so I'm gearing up for a new baby in May (I keep thinking it's coming in April ) and I want to hear from moms who've bf more than one- doesn't matter if you've tandemed or not.
I never bf ds1 (I'm not going to get into the whys and wherefors, it just didn't happen) but I've exclusively bf ds2- he had a bottle once- filled with bm- but just chewed on it.
Anyway, as a result of never bfing ds1, I don't know what to expect with a new baby. Is it going to be the same kind of struggle I had with ds2? Or possibly the same? Does it get "better" (easier?) with each baby you nurse?
You didn't mention what struggles or issues you had with ds2 so I am a little confused. However I bf my daughter and now I am breastfeeding my son and it has been 2 totally different experiences. With my daughter I had no issues whatsoever...with my son I have had all kinds of issues...sore nipples, cracked nipples, mastitis, surgical I&D under general anesthesia...now he only drinks from the breast that did not have issues so I have 1 big breast and 1 flat one...it's crazy! All that to say...each child is different and each breastfeeding relationship can be as well.

Hope that helps.

Almost crunchy but sometimes soggy, homeschooling mommy of 2. biggrinbounce.gif

I work from home and love showing others how to do it too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alt="computergeek2.gif" src="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/computergeek2.gif">

#3 of 3 Old 12-30-2008, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry about that. We started out with a poor latch due to oversupply/OAL (including one bout with mastitis), struggled to fix that with a LC, but by the time that got fixed I had a low supply so I had to pump every hour or so and use an SNS to get my supply back up- though part of the low supply at that point may also have been that my thyroid decided it was a good time to tank. Sore nipples, of course, in the beginning yes, but also had some yeast issues and ds also prefers one breast to the other, causing one to be always semi-engorged and a low producer as well as being smaller- I had to pump that one on a regular basis to prevent mastitis in it from clogged ducts, which happened regularly since it wasn't being nursed enough..
Once we got over all of that (the first 6 months or so), it was smooth sailing!
So I'm wondering if that's what I'm looking forward to with this one too, basically.
It sounds like you've really been through the wringer with your ds! I'm glad to hear your nursing relationship survived.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page