Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (https://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Breastfeeding (https://www.mothering.com/forum/27-breastfeeding/)
-   -   Reassure me...breastmilk isn't 'a milk product' right? (https://www.mothering.com/forum/27-breastfeeding/1018406-reassure-me-breastmilk-isnt-milk-product-right.html)

JamesMama 12-29-2008 09:48 PM

So I took my DD to the ER last night (vomiting, diarrhea) and she was very dehydrated. She's fine now.

At the end when they were discharging us the nurse says "No milk products for 24 hours." I say "Oh, she's not really drinking cows milk. I breastfeed." and she says "Well, no milk...if she REALLY wants it...then really limit it to see how she's doing."

WTF? Human milk is MUCH more digestable than cows milk.

And WTF are ff babies supposed to do? Live off of pedialite for 24 hours?

Anyway, human milk isn't a 'milk product' right? not in their way of thinking at least...

littlemizflava 12-29-2008 09:54 PM

nope bm is fine if you worry about it dont drink/limit any milk yourself. go a head and breastfeed : i have done it but avoided giving any milk products for a few days but kept on breatfeeding.

LCBMAX 12-29-2008 10:24 PM

Wow - that's a badly misinformed nurse. BFing is absolutely the best thing for a dehydrated baby. The more the better.

JudiAU 12-29-2008 10:25 PM

No, it isn't a milk product in that sense. My ped was delighted that Ds was nursing at 14 mo. when he had a stomach bug. Good for his tummy.

I was really scared at the time because DS didn't want to nurse much. But he rebounded quickly and ped said that was normal.

eurobin 12-29-2008 10:29 PM

Breastmilk is generally considered a "clear fluid," not dairy or milk. And breastfeeding is by far the best thing you can do for a sick and dehydrated nursling.

VanessaS 12-29-2008 10:59 PM

Quote:
BFing is absolutely the best thing for a dehydrated baby. The more the better.
Amen. Here's more info.

ashleyhaugh 12-29-2008 11:00 PM

she might throw up after nursing, but even if she does, shes still getting some to stay down

we had a stomach bug a few weeks ago. i was SO clad my (then) 14 month old was nursing. he didnt eat ANYTHING for 4 days, and very little for another 3-4 after that.

Jackies Ladybug 12-30-2008 03:26 AM

bm is absolutely not considered a "milk product"!
we are so trained in our society to believe that the only kind of milk is from cows! haha, so yeah, she meant cow product.

feed your baby as frequently as possible, the foremilk is really good for a dehydrated baby and just getting little 5-10 minute sessions every 30-60 min. really helps a baby keep it down.

hope baby feels better soon, just went through this with my 8 week old, she is better now!

TiredX2 12-30-2008 03:46 AM

As other's have already stated, bmilk is considered a clear liquid, NOT a dairy product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMama View Post
And WTF are ff babies supposed to do? Live off of pedialite for 24 hours?
Scary, but accurate. In the same position a ffed baby would be limited to clear liquids--- so no protein or fats until their tummies recovered