9 month old refusing solids - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 08-01-2009, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this...

I have been exclusively bfing my son who is now almost 10 months old. It was such a struggle at first, a very rocky road with many lactation consultant visits, but we did it! For the longest time though (till around 5 months) I had to pump every day and give him a bottle of breastmilk to make sure he got enough. He always preferred the bottle and would gulp it down. After he started feeding better around 5 months, I rejoiced at giving up the pumping and daily bottle. His weight was increasing and we were finally doing it!
Now, at 6-7 months of age I've tried to introduce him to solids. He wont have any of it. Doesn't matter what it is. I think he has a phobia of food in general. Rice cereal, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, squash, carrots....he gags on them all. The minute a miniscule amount of food touches his lips he dramatically gags, and spits up (mostly saliva, not having any food at this point). At first it was funny, his facial expressions, but now at almost 10 months of age, it's frustrating. He takes the spoon, pulls the food off, then sticks the empty spoon in his mouth. I've tried finger food too...small cut up pieces of carrot, and same thing.
Though I haven't tried fruit yet, because I'm afraid he'll grow accustomed to sweeter things and refuse veggies in the future...
Is that thought unfounded? I hear mixed views...

He DOES gnaw on a cold carrot sometimes but that's about it.

I'm getting worried as he's getting closer to a year old now. He also only uses the sippy cup (which I've filled only with water) as a teething toy.
Oy.

Another issue, and months ago I would not have believed this (lol), but now my son refuses any bottle! lol how ironic! basically anything BUT my breast! He won't even touch a bottle, even when I was gone for 6 hours and he must have been hungry. While on one hand this is great, and I do want to continue nursing at least for 1.5-2 years old, it really is restricting my freedom when he still feeds every 2-3 hours. I am looking to get back to working, part-time, though hopefully from home, there are many times I will have to be away from him for more than 2-3 hours. As of right now, with him refusing bottles/cups AND any type of solid food, I have no idea what to do!
Has anyone been in this situation before?

Could he possibly just not be ready for solids yet? His dad was extremely stubborn (and still is, lol) and did everything on his own terms, in his own time (later than some). But at 10 months?
He does, I believe, have a dairy allergy, and for months now I've not eaten any in my diet. Though he still is really gassy, all the other symptoms disapeared. I've read that babies with allergies tend to eat solids later...but this late?

Sorry to ramble on, I'm just at a loss now what to do.
~Kristen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 08-01-2009, 01:19 PM

A 9 or 10 month old does not need solids. Neither of my kids was interested until around 15 months. Kids tastes change over time, so I'm not convinced that first foods really matter the much (unless it's junk food).

My ds1 started refusing breastmilk in a bottle or cup around, I dunno, 6 or 7 months? I left him with a babysitter about 4-6 hours at a time and he would just wait for the real thing. Honestly, I think it's OK for your 10 mo to wait a few hours for you. Was he upset when he waited 6 hours?

Try to relax, Mama, 10 months is not really late for these things

One last thought, he doesn't have a tongue-tie does he? That could cause latch problems and it definitely affected my older ds's ability to chew solids.

Lara
#3 of 10 Old 08-01-2009, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
my dd refused solids till she was almost a year old. at 10 months she would take a bite here adn there but not a bunch. she absolutely would not touch any kind of cereal. she loved, loved avacado.

i know many of my friends did not even introduce solids before a year.

however i knew she was ready for solids, but hadnt made up her mind yet. she would always grab my food, put it in her mouth and then spit it out. it was almost like she was curious about taste and texture but refused to eat it. i had been allowing her to taste my food since she was about 3 months old. or rather i had to coz she was so curious.

i would say keep an eye out for him. if he has any eating issues. texture aversion. perhaps he is too distracted by his teething to focus on eating.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

#4 of 10 Old 08-01-2009, 01:37 PM

Don't worry about introducing fruits! Breastmilk is super sweet, so IMO the whole 'if you give them fruits they won't like vegetables' thing is a myth.

As the PPs said, until a year solids are for fun, flavour and texture. Breastmilk still provides 75-100% of nutrition.
#5 of 10 Old 08-01-2009, 02:38 PM

Before a year, or even longer, breastmilk provides 100% nutrition, not 75%! As long as the baby is not actively trying to get other sources of food, like making a furious grab for EVERYTHING on everyone's plate and losing weight like crazy, he/she is getting everything they need.

One of my five kids would not TOUCH solids until she turned two years, and the others would not touch them until around one year. Our earliest eater was ten months, and we thought that was even a bit too early. Let your baby be the guide. Their little bodies tell them what they need better than we ever could. When solids are needed, they'll be eaten.
#6 of 10 Old 08-01-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticgypsy View Post
Now, at 6-7 months of age I've tried to introduce him to solids. He wont have any of it. Doesn't matter what it is. I think he has a phobia of food in general. Rice cereal, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, squash, carrots....he gags on them all. The minute a miniscule amount of food touches his lips he dramatically gags, and spits up (mostly saliva, not having any food at this point). At first it was funny, his facial expressions, but now at almost 10 months of age, it's frustrating. He takes the spoon, pulls the food off, then sticks the empty spoon in his mouth. I've tried finger food too...small cut up pieces of carrot, and same thing.
Though I haven't tried fruit yet, because I'm afraid he'll grow accustomed to sweeter things and refuse veggies in the future...
Is that thought unfounded? I hear mixed views...

He DOES gnaw on a cold carrot sometimes but that's about it.

Another issue, and months ago I would not have believed this (lol), but now my son refuses any bottle! lol how ironic! basically anything BUT my breast! He won't even touch a bottle, even when I was gone for 6 hours and he must have been hungry.
I could have written this post myself! Mine does the exact same thing with solids, and has been refusing a bottle for a few months now. Even when DH and I went out for about 7 hours for my birthday, the silly girl STILL refused it and so didn't eat anything all that time!

Lately she's shown a little interest in pureed pears, but only very tiny amounts. I figure she'll start when she's ready, although it can be frustrating.

reading.gif Wife to DH geek.gif  since 08/06. Mother to Eleanor Rose energy.gif, born 10/12/08.  h20homebirth.gif
#7 of 10 Old 08-01-2009, 04:03 PM

My youngest refused all solids until after her first birthday. She would make horrible faces, retch, and shudder. I started trying to offer around 8 months, then quit following her disinterest, tried again every few weeks. Only after a year would she actually put things in her mouth and keep them. Even then, it was tiny tastes of things, not really "eating". Now, at almost 22 months, she gets probably 60-70% of her calories from breastmilk. It's been a slow transition, but we're to a point now that I can count on her to eat a real "meal" at least twice a day.

In all ways she's on track developmentally, so it's nothing I've worried about.
You certainly won't be the only one here with a baby who didn't want solid food until later.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#8 of 10 Old 08-01-2009, 04:04 PM

You'll know it's time for solids when LO starts reaching for food on the table. If you want to expose them to solids, just skip nursing before meals and then let them taste mashedy tatoes or carrots, etc until they get hungry and want to nurse. If babe is refusing it, then just let it drop until a later time.

I remember my LO would always get hungry when she smelled dinner cooking along with the excitement of everyone getting together around the table. She would taste a little bit mashed off of my plate and then decide that dinner time was nursing time!

Like PPs said, don't even worry about it until a year at least. Trying out new tastes can be fun but they really will not rely on food for sustenance until later.

Happy and in love with my family!
#9 of 10 Old 08-02-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyler View Post
Before a year, or even longer, breastmilk provides 100% nutrition, not 75%!
Of course if baby is only getting breastmilk, then breastmilk is providing 100% of nutrition! To clarify what I meant by breastmilk provides 75% - 100% of nutrition by the end of the first year... even babies who are eating lots of solids should still be getting 75% of their nutrition from breastmilk.
#10 of 10 Old 08-03-2009, 12:42 AM

My now-toddler also wasn't eating solids at 10 months. She was actually super interested around 5 months and I finally broke down and let her start trying some fruits and veggies just before 6 months... she was into it for a couple weeks, then started refusing everything.

She started childcare at around 10 months and they asked that I send her snack and lunch food every day, even though I said she wouldn't eat it. But I sent it, and they called every day and said "she didn't eat any of her snack/lunch, do you want to come nurse her?" Silly people...

As for the fruit vs. veggies... my son (now 4 1/2) ate only veggies for the first few months of solids and he absolutely refuses all vegetables now and has for the last two years. My daughter as an infant would only eat veggies if they were mixed with pears, and she will eat just about any veggie now. I honestly don't think it matters what they start with, they will go through so many changes with their food preferences in the next couple years.

Parenting four little monkeys (11, 8, 6, and 4) with the love of my life. Making it up as I go.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page