Anemic.... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 05-15-2010, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If I am anemic - will this affect the iron supply in my bm?
When is this a worry/concern?
Ds2 only 3 weeks old - so I don't think its a concern right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 05-16-2010, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Iron levels in milk are not dependent on levels in mom's diet or blood (http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...on.html#atrisk & http://parenting.ivillage.com/newbor...,,3wsx,00.html). Babies build up stores of iron during pregancy and are born with high iron levels. That, coupled with the low but very available iron in your milk is adequate for at least the first 6-7 months in healthy, full-term babies. Feeding cow's milk formula actually increases the risk of anemia as it is irritating to the gut and baby is more likely to lose small amounts of iron through microscopic bleeds in the intestine. Plus, the iron in supplemented foods (formula, baby cereal, vitamins) is not as available to the body, and can block the absorption of iron from breastmilk.

However, anemia has been associated with low milk supply, increased incidence of postpartum depression, plugged ducts, and mastitis. If you're worried but don't want to take standard supplements, Floradex with Iron is plant-based and gentle. My midwife also had me take Hema-plex, which is another plant-based iron supplement (I had significant blood loss at birth with my 3rd).

Cheri
fencing.gifDD and DS are 11 & toddler.gif DD is 4    hbac.gif  Our car is a bike!bikenew.gif

Sharing our homeschool.gifwith 3cat.gif, 2 dog2.gif & 4 chicken3.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page