Is this yeast? Whatever it is..it's killing me!! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 03-04-2011, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well...not literally!

Over the past couple of days I've noticed my nipples turning shiny/pink and hurting a bit while nursing. Didn't think anything of it (other than maybe he wasn't latching on correctly anymore)  until we woke up this morning and the baby had a yeasty rash.  Checked his mouth and sure enough...white patches.  Thrush, right?

Now this afternoon my right breast has been sore to the touch...not just during or after nursing..but all of the time.  It's on the outside half heading to my armpit.  The inside half isn't tender at all..only if I really poke at it.  Is this from yeast or am I dealing with something else?  I've never had mastitis or a plugged duct before but there isn't any fever/redness/lumps so I don't think that's it.

This is what I'm currently doing (we dealt with mild thrush with my first DD and this is what her ped had me do) :

Rinsing my nipples with ACV/water after each nursing session.  Air dry and Lotrimin.

Gentian Violet 1-2 times per day, on my nipples and let him nurse after

Since I'm having nipple / breast pain, does that mean it's spread to my ducts?  I've heard about using grapefruit seed extract for that...I don't have any and won't be able to get out to a store for a couple days, unfortunately. I'm going to get it as soon as possible.

I'll be picking up probiotics for both of us ASAP as well.

Is there anything I should change or add?  I want to knock this out as quickly as I can.

TIA!

Mama to DD (1/2004)  DS1 (5/2006) and DS2 (2/4/2011)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 03-05-2011, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You've definitely got some yeast issues there, but the pain radiating along the side of your breast seems more like a plugged duct. see if you can get him lined up to nurse with his chin on that side (so basically hanging over your shoulder, probably a lying down thing) for awhile.

Probiotics are a huge help.

Reduce/eliminate your sugars.

Increase your garlic (raw if possible), onion (raw), broccoli, eggs, and meats.

But yeah, fight that yeast, because it messes up sooo much. DD already lost a thumbnail (fortunately it regrew), and has at least 12 cavities because of yeast. I had no idea it was yeast for a long time because my nipples were only pink and shiny, not red like I kept seeing yeast described.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page