If a 14 month old isn't getting much breastmilk (I'm 14 weeks pregnant) - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 03-07-2011, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)

Do I need to deeply consider how to cover all her bases with food? How much thought do I need to put into it? If she's getting a varied diet is that enough?

I'm pregnant and just feeling my milk is much less than it was. She's woken up in the night a few times this week and needed food downstairs before she can sleep again.. and is eating much more than normal.

I expected to breastfeed for years.. and have that to cover the bases... and am feeling stressed!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-07-2011, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My personal take on it would be that if you are not sure you are producing much, it would likely ease your mind to add in a milk or milk substitute substitute-- something rich in fats and protein, like whole cow's milk, or goat's milk. I cut WAY back on breastfeeding, after a year, because of my own health needs (I have a serious illness.) and we added in whole cow's milk, to fill in the gaps. With DD1, my milk supply was down to nearly nothing by a year (we EPed her) and so we added in commercial formula until about 2 years old, just about eight ounces a day as extra insurance. In my experience, it's rare that a one-year-old eats a varied enough selection of nutritionally dense foods that you can do without some kind of milk.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 3 Old 03-10-2011, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)

Thanks.. that makes sense. We are looking at adding cheese too...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page