I have mastitis...and a question or two! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 05-09-2004, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, what started out as a tender breast on Thursday afternoon turned into the flu symtoms of mastitis by that evening and was full blown by Friday morning. What I'm wondering is, isn't mastitis caused by a plugged duct gone bad? I have a very sore spot on my right breast but I can't seem to get it unclogged. I've tried heat (dry and wet), nursing as frequently as my 5 week old will put up with, I've tried pumping and massage. It seems to be redder and larger and more sore. I was prescribed an antibotic which I wanted to avoid due to the possiblity of thrush but my temp got up to 102 and that was what I was advised by my LLL leader to do if my temp got over 101. I called and spoke to a doctor (male) yesterday to ask about clearing the duct. He said that it may not be caused by a plugged duct at all. Huh? Is this true? If that's the case then that may explain why I can't get this lump to clear but then again if it isn't a blocked duct then what the hell is this lump. I guess a reaction from the infection. But I read that mastitis doesn't necessarily mean infection. Ok so what is it?

My flue symptoms and fever are gone thank goodness. My goal is to get rid of this painful lump somehow. I am really afraid of an absess.

Please share what you know about this subject...especially if you have had mastitis or an absess.

TIA!
amy

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 05-09-2004, 04:54 PM

Hi. ....I had my second case of mastitis strart Thurs. as well. I took Motrin (figured better than antibiotics) and the clogged duct was very hard to clear...I woke up this morning and it is officially gone. I pumped, nursed frequently, hot compress, massaged lump, etc....

My first time with mastitis it was b/c my cracked nipple got infected and it spread to my breast tissue, and I did take antibiotics for that case. It was only 2 weeks ago! This time I knew it was b/c of a clogged duct, so I didn't bother with going to the doctors.

Just keep working on the lump and it should finally clear up.

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#3 of 12 Old 05-09-2004, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

What if I can't get the lump to clear up? Is it obvious when it is gone?
If it doesn't clear up will this end up as an absess?

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.

#4 of 12 Old 05-09-2004, 07:13 PM

I've had mastitis 4 times and only the last time was there any hint of a plugged duct. And there was only a hint of one, not obvious symptoms. So I'm not even sure if that one ws caused by a plugged duct. So it can be an infection not caused by a plugged duct. nak
#5 of 12 Old 05-09-2004, 10:34 PM

I thought mine was never going to clear up, I just kept working on it and when I woke up this morning it was all gone. Each day it got gradually better.

#6 of 12 Old 05-10-2004, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaffNowCryLater
Just keep working on the lump and it should finally clear up.
Yep.

I went through the same thing TWICE, in a week, just recently. My son is 3 weeks. No sign of a plugged duct for me either. I didn't really understand.

Ugh, I feel your pain!

I had a painful red lump and flu like syptoms. I did everything you did. It went away and then 2 days later I got it again. A painful red lump on the same breast but on the underside. It was weird.

What helped me the most was applying a hot *wet* compress. I just massaged the lump and it finally went away.

I hope you heal up soon.
#7 of 12 Old 05-10-2004, 03:11 AM

Also if it is possible, try to have the baby nurse with its chin pointing towards the spot to drain it more.

#8 of 12 Old 05-10-2004, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaffNowCryLater
Also if it is possible, try to have the baby nurse with its chin pointing towards the spot to drain it more.

I tried that and I would have to nurse him upside down
I even tried to put him on his back and hover over him but he doesn't really go for that. He likes to be held.

I'll keep on trukin'. I hope to wake up and it'll be gone soon!

Thanks for all the info. The only thing that bothers me is that it seems most of you have had this more than once! Ouch. Dh is going on a fishing trip in a week. That would really suck if it came back then. THat means I'd have to inlist one of my inlaws to come help me...yikes!

Amy

#9 of 12 Old 05-10-2004, 01:51 PM

it can take a couple days for the plugged duct to "unplug". i remember i started on antibiotics and my symptoms where pretty much gone in 24 hours, but the redness on my breast and the hardness all around (I had several plugged ducts, and they feel exactly as you described) went away in like a week... but if it still hurts, it may be because you're not on the antibiotic.. also, eat lots of pineapple, it's a natural anti-inflamatory. (I don't know if it really does something but it's worth a try)
#10 of 12 Old 05-11-2004, 04:12 PM

I feel for you.

Mastitis refers to any inflammation of the breast. It can be caused by a duct, infection or both.

I've had mastitis a few times but I've been able to catch it before it went too far. If there is a next time listen to that little voice in your head that says, "Gee I'm feeling tired and achy. I might be coming down with something" should be listened to. Get into bed and nurse, rest, nurse.

Laying baby on bed and nursing on all fours help some clear plugs (yes even upside down.) Sometimes you can tell from baby if plug has broken up. They might sputter and make a "oo that was yucky" face.

If it is recurring talk over with LL Leader what could be at the root. I found out one of my nursing bras was the culprit.

Good luck.
#11 of 12 Old 05-11-2004, 07:40 PM

Hi. Could I just jump in here really quick and ask why your nursing bra was the culprit? I think maybe mine was too. It's an underwire which I heard is no good...but I don't know why, since it fits quite well.
Are some women more subseptable to mastitis? I got it twice with each baby I had within the first couple of weeks. I'm thinking lack of sleep/stress could be a big cause too?
I wish I had known about the all fours postion! I didn't know how to get my baby close enough to the red lump.
Sorry to derail...I just really *don't* want to get this again!
#12 of 12 Old 05-12-2004, 04:11 PM

It was an underwire and the bra seemed fine but by then end of the day I noticed that I was pulling at it. Then I was wearing the same bra again and I started feeling tender. I've been staying away from the underwire since then.

Sure being tired, stress and lack of sleep absolutely can contribute to it. Not draining the breast adequately, sometimes it is something simple like a repetitive arm movement. I think the causes really vary.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page