Nipping Nursling Makes Me Want To Wean - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 11-04-2014, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Nipping Nursling Makes Me Want To Wean

I really have had no plans on weaning my 13mo. My first goal was 6 months, after that passed it became a year. Even tho I'm 29 weeks along with baby #2 I'm still happy to nurse DD. But very recently she has started nipping me often. And has bit me good twice. She acts like it's a game, even laughed when I yelled OW! The past two days have been the worst. I've stopped with ow, and have gone to growning because I'm holding my breath watching her trying to catch her before she does it. I swatted her cheek lightly a couple of times because she started to bite harder rather then let go.
If she try's it more then once I put her down, and tell her no, don't hurt mommy.
I'm glad she only has the two teeth on the bottom so far...she seems to be trying to cut her top two now. And I think that could have something to do with this new habit. The first time she bit me was over a month ago, and it only happened a couple more times until the past week. I really don't want to wean, but I'm getting tired of being hurt. We co-sleep, and I always nurse her to sleep, even for naps.

Do they grow out of this phase quick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 11-24-2014, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Oh god, DS1 was terrible with biting - what memories you conjure up, he did the same things you describe!! What I found helpful was setting firm limits. As soon as he bit me, I'd break his latch by putting my finger between his gums, and set him down firmly, saying "Ouch! NO! Don't bite mommy!" and then walk out of the room. He'd cry, but quickly got the message that biting = no boobies.

When he was old enough to really eat solids, and he bit me, I would assume he wanted something to chew on...so I'd put him down and give him a rolled up piece of lunchmeat or cheese. Many times it helped - cold to soothe teething gums, and more substantial fare (with less nerve endings) to sink his teeth into.

Seems he grew out of it pretty quick - but at the same time I began to figure out he'd bite me more when he really was hungry for solids, and wanted to nurse out of habit. Sleepy nursing on a full belly (after teething gel when needed) was usually fine.

Good luck!!!

Now a SAHM (yay!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with DS1, 9yo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DS2, 6yo
DD1, 4yo
DD2, 1yo
& my awesome DH
And a baby BOY born Nov 17!
#3 of 6 Old 11-24-2014, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
DS was really bad about biting for a while, and sometimes still does. I pop him off the boob and speak sternly "no biting! That's ouchy for mama!" then he has to wait a few minutes and demonstrate gently touching before he can nurse again. 13 months is definitely old enough to learn that biting = no boob. How soon your LO grows out of it will largely depend on how quickly their teeth come in.

For prevention I offer ice for DS to suck/gnaw on before regular nursing times and use teething tablets or Tylenol as needed to ease the pain. That's pretty much always why he's biting. As far as laughing while you're exclaiming in pain - totally normal. At this age they don't really have the ability to empathize, but they are just beginning to understand their own ability to affect the world around them. LO does something that provokes a reaction, they will then do it over and over to see if it will get the same reaction. They can't tell the difference (at first) between exclamations of pain or joy/laughter, they're just looking for the response. And they aren't trying to hurt you, they are learning that action A leads to reaction B.

My sympathies on the sore boobs, I hope it passes quickly!

Me
+ DH
= DD
(1/2004) & DS
(6/2013) & One on the way
(4/2016)

#4 of 6 Old 12-03-2014, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Looks like you already have gotten great advice. I did something similar to what my3beasties did. The first time DS1 bit me, it took me by such surprise & hurt so much that without even thinking, I screamed loudly, delatched him, and plopped him on the floor. It really startled him, and of course he cried. But I was too upset to pick him up for a few minutes. I just stood there holding my sore breast. I repeated this, or a similar no-nonsense response every time he bit or even acted like he might bite. It didn't last very long. I think maybe a week or so of being vigilant every time he'd nurse, and then he outgrew it or moved on. I did the same thing with DS2, although he thought it was a game, so I had to be even more firm with him. He didn't like ninnies being taken away, so he quit pretty fast, too.

I like the advice about ice before nursing. I'll have to remember that one for this next babe. Good luck, mamma!

Wife to
since '98;

(former) Homeschooling, doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day;
Mom to
DSs:
06/10,
12/05, &
1/99 &
(3/15)
#5 of 6 Old 12-03-2014, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
When you feel the jaws start to clamp down, pull the baby's head in close to the breast. Smoosh him in good. He won't be able to draw breath through the nose and will be forced to open his mouth. It's not cruel or dangerous, it takes just a second and it works!

Bring back the old MDC
#6 of 6 Old 12-09-2014, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Right,It's not cruel or dangerous, it takes just a second and it works!thanks

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page