weaning advice for 2 year old - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 12-02-2014, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
weaning advice for 2 year old

I am still nursing my toddler who will be 2 in a month. She pretty much nurses at night to go to sleep, first thing in the morning and around noon (I would call it nap time but she rarely naps). However, she will also wake in the middle of the night yelling for milk. And sometimes throughout the day she will start having a fit asking for milk. I try not to give in but I feel awful. When I do give in I feel irritated, especially in the middle of the night when all I want to do is sleep. I don't mind nursing for a bit longer if it's just those 2 or 3 times a day but this is ridiculous to me. I am emotional at the thought of weaning completely but maybe that's what I should do? I know it would be a big disaster until the habit was broken. I can just see the tantrums and tears. Does anyone have any tips on making weaning less upsetting for both of us?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 12-02-2014, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by livysmom View Post
I am still nursing my toddler who will be 2 in a month. She pretty much nurses at night to go to sleep, first thing in the morning and around noon (I would call it nap time but she rarely naps). However, she will also wake in the middle of the night yelling for milk. And sometimes throughout the day she will start having a fit asking for milk. I try not to give in but I feel awful. When I do give in I feel irritated, especially in the middle of the night when all I want to do is sleep. I don't mind nursing for a bit longer if it's just those 2 or 3 times a day but this is ridiculous to me. I am emotional at the thought of weaning completely but maybe that's what I should do? I know it would be a big disaster until the habit was broken. I can just see the tantrums and tears. Does anyone have any tips on making weaning less upsetting for both of us?
I have no advice, just sympathy. My daughter turned 2 last week and I'm in the same boat as you. I'd like to be done with nursing, but she is not there yet.
#3 of 8 Old 12-02-2014, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Well thank you. Sympathy definitely helps! I never thought it would be so tough. I'm pretty much done as well. I think it's time to wean when you feel yourself getting irritated during nursing? The only time I'm okay with it is bed time. But I'm not sure if it's harder to just do that than stop all together? I also admit I'm just emotional at the thought of my baby growing up. It's just plain hard!

#4 of 8 Old 12-03-2014, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How does she do if you ask her to wait a bit (during the day of course)? My youngest is 2.5 and will do pretty good during the day if I ask her to wait a few minutes before we sit down to nurse. I'm with you on the middle of the night nursing though! Mine still gets up most nights at least once. Luckily she goes right back to sleep after she nurses, but that interruption is so aggravating some nights. Just make sure that whether you choose to limit sessions, wean altogether, or whatever, that you stay consistent so that it doesnt' confuse her. I've heard some mamas tell their lo's that milkies go to sleep at night and they wake up in the morning when the sun comes out as a way to facilitate night weaning. I've never tried it though.
#5 of 8 Old 12-07-2014, 06:22 AM

I'm also still nursing my soon to be 27 month old. I'm holding out until spring since we have wicked winters here in Montana & I want him to have all the breast milk benefits through this season. However, once spring hits it's off the tits : ) The best article I have found regarding this topic is http://www.mamanatural.com/5-tips-on-weaning-toddler/ Her suggestion to substitute with a warm tea mixed with warm milk is amazing & I really believe it will work. So many people suggest giving milk, but in a cold form & that's just NOT the same. I love this idea because you can use calcium containing herbs like oatstraw, nettle leaf, chamomile, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mama to 3 wild boys[/CENTER]
#6 of 8 Old 12-08-2014, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Frwmn: asking her to wait a bit most times will work as long as I tell her I have to do x and then she can have milk. I can try that last little tip but I'm not sure she'd understand that yet. That's the hard part. I feel if I wean her now, it will be upsetting because she doesn't understand why...bethiana: that was my thought as well to wean her after flu season and I will definitely try giving her warm milk with herbs before bed to help her get sleepy
#7 of 8 Old 12-09-2014, 09:35 PM

I just cut it down to two nursing sessions a day with my 21 month old. It was surprisingly easy. The first day and a half she was sad but we talked about how she was getting bigger and i was getting less milk so we had to save it for nursing before night. We now nurse for 15 minutes in a chair in the living room before bed and then we nurse after showering in the morning. We tried not nursing until the sun was up but ended up with her waking at 5am looking to see if the sun was up. We are still working on having a normal wake up time but it's more like between 6 and 7am now. I felt like nursing before bed was important because she isn't making much of her own melatonin at this age.
#8 of 8 Old 12-20-2014, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Good to know about the melatonin! I do want to keep nursing at night before bed...sounds like you have a super smart toddler on your hands! I know my baby is smart too but not so sure she would understand if I tried to explain that she's older now and I don't make as much milk. I'm gonna give it a shot though!....my problem is that she gets so emotional so quickly when she wants milk. :-/

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page