• 1 Post By Haswela
  • 1 Post By greatness1987
  • 1 Post By Marinaze

#1 of 26 Old 09-25-2017, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Breastfeeding and Smoking Marijuana

I recently gave birth to a healthy 7.2lb baby boy. He is now 4 weeks old. I stopped smoking mj when i was 16 weeks pregnant and wasnt sure if i could continue while breastfeeding. Well the day i got home from the hospital i smoked. And i have been smoking since. It doesnt seem to have any effect on my milk supply or the baby. He very rarely fusses and when he does it's usually gas. He sleeps thru the night and wakes only 2 or 3 times to eat in the middle of the night. So smoking doesnt seem to effect him. Does anyone else breastfeed and smoke? Just looking for feedback and experiences.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
applejuice likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 09-26-2017, 04:17 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Everything you consume,

the baby does as well. Besides the natural chemicals in pot, your pot may have been grown with chemicals (assuming it's not home grown organic). I'd also wonder if it would impair your ability to look after the baby. Just me, but I thought twice about anything I consumed, even a diet coke seemed to make my baby more edgy and hyper and esp. if it would make me kind of out of it. I'd try at the very least to restrict it, maybe to nighttime or something when there are less feeding times, but you should be aware that if you are doing this, you should not cosleep. Babies are very fragile and susceptible to so many things plus once they start rolling and putting things in their mouths, you have to be hyper vigilant.
#3 of 26 Old 10-29-2017, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I was an avid smoker before I was pregnant. I quit during the first trimester despite all of my fellow mom friends saying it was good for the baby! Some of them were even offended that I quit, claiming I was declaring some sort of superiority. I had no support and had to complete seclude myself because all of my friends smoked and I l didn't want the temptation. The isolation led to a host of other problems everything from depression, anxiety, even lack of excersize. I was miserable for most of my pregnancy and in retrospect I wonder if the damage of anxiety and depression outweighed what damage my baby would have endured had I smoked and socialized.

I'm still a non smoker at 5 months post pardum and I'm just now building a solid support group of healthy mom's, and being around it doesn't tempt me at all. I tried it twice in the first month as soon as the baby fell asleep, knowing I would have hours to sober up before nursing. Both times I became so afraid of harming, neglecting, or loosing custody of my baby that I literally shook for an hour. Now I'm not tempted at all. But.... Most of my mom friends still smoke and seem ok with it. Their children are intelligent, clean, happy and social. It seems to work for them. When I bark at my partner for something silly in front of the baby, the question returns of whether the harm from anxiety outweighs whatever harm smoking might do. But I focus on mothering being a time to learn new coping methods. I've used that coping method for over ten years! It's time for me to evolve.

Sorry if this got too personal, I noticed there were almost no responses and I know lots of women are dealing with this topic all the time.

#4 of 26 Old 10-30-2017, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was raised by a mother who smoked during and after the pregnancy, and I know it was smoked around me until I was around 5 or 6. I was definitely not a low birth weight baby, nor did it affect me in any perceivable way (honors student, whoo!). I have friends who breastfed while smoking and their kids are healthy and clever, no issues (different people, kids are now between 2 and 7). Looking at both research and anecdotes, I don't think it's as harmful as people make it out to be.

I don't know if I could get through this without a tiny puff here and there to help with nausea and anxiety. I've talked to mothers who stopped, and those who didn't, and I think it comes down to it being a personal choice. No one should give you crap for that choice!

My 2 cents!
that1russian.17 and rannan like this.
#5 of 26 Old 10-30-2017, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Anything that impairs your ability to respond to your baby's needs is a no-go. Can you honestly say you are not impaired at all? A friend of mine started chemo at 4 wks pp and had round the clock help bc she was impaired by the chemo meds in that they made her tired and weak and she felt she couldn't safely look after her baby alone (obvs not bfing in that case). So it's not an automatic answer of "mj is bad" but rather "impaired carers are not ideal".
applejuice likes this.

Bring back the old MDC
#6 of 26 Old 10-30-2017, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post
Anything that impairs your ability to respond to your baby's needs is a no-go. Can you honestly say you are not impaired at all? A friend of mine started chemo at 4 wks pp and had round the clock help bc she was impaired by the chemo meds in that they made her tired and weak and she felt she couldn't safely look after her baby alone (obvs not bfing in that case). So it's not an automatic answer of "mj is bad" but rather "impaired carers are not ideal".
It doesnt impair me. If anything im more alert. It really depends on what strain you smoke and how it effects you. Chemo is totally different. If i was pumping myself full of chemicals i probably wouldn't be able to take care of my baby as well either.

applejuice, anchasta and rannan like this.
#7 of 26 Old 10-31-2017, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
I have 2 friends that have, their kids are fine. THC is fat soluble and your kid will test positive should anyone report you to social services. So I would be careful who you tell. You decide whats best for you. I still think breastmilk from a mom that smokes cannabis is better than formula.

Mama to L (7) and A (born 7/15 by VBAC)
#8 of 26 Old 11-05-2017, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1russian.17 View Post
I recently gave birth to a healthy 7.2lb baby boy. He is now 4 weeks old. I stopped smoking mj when i was 16 weeks pregnant and wasnt sure if i could continue while breastfeeding. Well the day i got home from the hospital i smoked. And i have been smoking since. It doesnt seem to have any effect on my milk supply or the baby. He very rarely fusses and when he does it's usually gas. He sleeps thru the night and wakes only 2 or 3 times to eat in the middle of the night. So smoking doesnt seem to effect him. Does anyone else breastfeed and smoke? Just looking for feedback and experiences.

If I were you, I would reconsider smoking weeds while breastfeeding for 2 main reasons:
1) There isn't enough research to determine the effect on the baby. So why taking a risk?
2) The grass you buy maybe sprayed with chemicals which are definitely harmful for your baby.
3) Would you let a 6 or 7 year old child smoke soft drugs? Probablt not. So why letting your newborn "smoke" marijuana in your breast milk?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1472960/
applejuice likes this.
#9 of 26 Old 12-19-2017, 10:05 AM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerd View Post
If I were you, I would reconsider smoking weeds while breastfeeding for 2 main reasons:
1) There isn't enough research to determine the effect on the baby. So why taking a risk?
2) The grass you buy maybe sprayed with chemicals which are definitely harmful for your baby.
3) Would you let a 6 or 7 year old child smoke soft drugs? Probablt not. So why letting your newborn "smoke" marijuana in your breast milk?
You state some very reasonable points!
Also don't forget your baby takes a lot of things from your breastmilk. So I really would be careful.

If you need to smoke Marijuana, talk to your doctor about this situation!
applejuice likes this.
#10 of 26 Old 12-19-2017, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
No pot, no alcohol, no pain pills household here (prescribed pills for some 50+ kidney stones was not purchased but once for a bad one)
That was our choice to stop it all once the kids came to be, even tho it would have helped sometimes (I think).

However, I know some people that function better on mj than we did, and honestly makes them better than some parents when it comes to tolerance for the horrible stages.
Its really a person to person thing, and greatly dependent on low vs highgrade(kemo prescribed) and strain types. For those that don't do it or have only a small experience, its like the difference of a beer vs a half gallon of hard liquor.

There are some tho, that I have personally chastised about the serious lack of care they give their kids, but most often it's not just mj they are on, specially the local area dubbed "meth mountain" in a documentary.

Topic wise, I haven't noticed any issues to date from the 5 moms I know that both smoked reasonably and breast fed. For me, that is too small a sample size to say for sure :/ but it certainly brings the concern down after seeing them grow up into awesome teenagers!
applejuice likes this.

Last edited by theoppositeview; 12-19-2017 at 08:54 PM.
#11 of 26 Old 07-06-2018, 05:57 AM

I am not an expert in this field and not a woman but I'm sure that smoking marijuana during pregnancy is not a great idea. I agree with the posts above that any toxic things like alcohol, cigs, and pot should be excluded during pregnancy, before and after!
Smoking marijuana is not only an issue of breastfeeding it is an issue of women's health in general! Read some articles on VapingDaily on this topic, they are quite informative.

Do not smoke, do not vape, do not drink alcohol! Especially during pregnancy and when your children look at you! You are the mothers and you should be a good role model for your children!
#12 of 26 Old 08-08-2018, 01:54 AM

I am not an expert in this area of discussion but any kind of drug addiction of mother can affect the health of newborn directly or indirectly.
Adelaida likes this.
#13 of 26 Old 03-12-2019, 05:58 AM

When my wife was pregnant she smokes a few times a bit, don't think this is a big problem, but it's better to consult with doctors who give recipes for medical mj
#14 of 26 Old 10-27-2019, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
I am not sure if it won`t affect baby. If I were you I would stop. Or if cannabis is legalized in your state or country better speak with doctor about it. Because it is hard to observe if baby is effected, they all act like high and drunk at this age)) Can recommend you cbd juul https://knockoutcbd.com/cbd-product-...mpatible-pods/. It is kind of vaping, but oil is similar to cannabis, the effect is similar actually. Maybe it would be better. Anyway consult with the expert. Forums are not the best place for this.
#15 of 26 Old 12-25-2019, 02:35 AM

Marijuana while pregnancy is not the best idea really. Check out this rehab center https://addictionresource.com/drug-rehab/free-rehabs/ Of course, I hope you got everything under control, but in case something happens, the assistants will be able to help. You can also call the hotline to get some recommendations or just psychological help
applejuice likes this.
#16 of 26 Old 12-25-2019, 11:02 PM

Maybe you should replace marijuana with vapes. It is less harmful to your health and body and is not so addictive, so you'll be able to quit quite fast. Check out this online store https://vapingdaily.com/ They have quite a wide choice of production, you can find something suitable.
#17 of 26 Old 01-22-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:

Hey girl,
I am a mother of 4 and have breastfed all my children and smoke marijuana as well!
My children are happy and healthy, there are actually no studies that prove there are risks but then again theres no studies that show their isnt as well. So the only advice i can give to you is if you feel comfortable still smoking and breastfeeding and you dont notcie and significant changes with baby afterwords than it is totaly up to you if you smoke or not! everyone has different opinions on this subject and sometimes others opinions can be very harsh so please dont let any harsh words effect your choice on wether to smoke and breastfeed or not too. Like i said, it is up to you!
#18 of 26 Old 03-28-2020, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
What do you think about using CBD instead? I would like to continue taking it. I don't think it is bad, but I would like to hear your thoughts on it. Have a look at the resource here also for more info about it. I am sure that you will find it interesting to you, good luck
#19 of 26 Old 04-09-2020, 12:03 AM

There are risk of marijuana while breastfeeding as marijuana can pass to the milk and then baby. You should avoid it because marijuana is stored in fat cells & it can remain in the body for weeks or longer.
#20 of 26 Old 05-29-2020, 02:28 AM

It is not good to use Marijuana. After all smoking is bad for health.
#21 of 26 Old 05-31-2020, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
It's good that u had a nice experience with MJ since I think the experience that gives marijuana is pretty useful. I remember when my wife wanted to improve our relationship with the help of mj. At that time, she gave birth to our first son. Since my wife loves to smoke mj, I think it wasn't a problem for her to smoke during the pregnancy, since a lot of natural chems is in the pot so it wasn't a big problem for her. Actually, we bought a lot of mj from https://piff.ca where are good discounts which gave us a chance to buy more mj at once. Btw, we actually still buy pot from this place and smoking together...
#22 of 26 Old 05-31-2020, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluminatis View Post
It's good that u had a nice experience with MJ since I think the experience that gives marijuana is pretty useful. I remember when my wife wanted to improve our relationship with the help of mj. At that time, she gave birth to our first son. Since my wife loves to smoke mj, I think it wasn't a problem for her to smoke during the pregnancy, since a lot of natural chems is in the pot so it wasn't a big problem for her. Actually, we bought a lot of mj from https://piff.ca where are good discounts which gave us a chance to buy more mj at once. Btw, we actually still buy pot from this place and smoking together...
Nice to see it!
#23 of 26 Old 06-07-2020, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

you need to consult with your doctor, however it seems so weird, I guess, you need to give up smoking at all
applejuice likes this.
#24 of 26 Old 07-18-2020, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I would stop at least for a while. If you want do it when you're not with the baby
#25 of 26 Old 09-02-2020, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Personally, I never tried it and I do not recommend it at all, especially if you have a baby.
In general, I am not against such a thing as long as it is not exaggerated and kept in balance.
I personally have been buying CBS oils for 2 weeks now from www.healthcanal.com , but not for me but for my dog ​​who suffers from cancer and I am glad that at least that helps him get rid of the pain.
That's why I understand that marijuana not only has negative effects but there are cases when it is useful.
applejuice likes this.

Last edited by Marinaze; 09-02-2020 at 01:38 AM.
#26 of 26 Old 09-03-2020, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinaze View Post
Personally, I never tried it and I do not recommend it at all, especially if you have a baby.
In general, I am not against such a thing as long as it is not exaggerated and kept in balance.
I personally have been buying CBS oils for 2 weeks now from www.healthcanal.com , but not for me but for my dog ​​who suffers from cancer and I am glad that at least that helps him get rid of the pain.
That's why I understand that marijuana not only has negative effects but there are cases when it is useful.

My dog also is suffering from this and CBS oils helps him.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page