help with nipple pain! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 11-14-2004, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my baby is now 6 days old and my nipples are cracked and have scabs. the pain is just inital, it doesn't last the feeding. This is the second time I have nursed a baby. (nursed my second until he was about 2). I realized a few days ago that I started out nursing like I remember nursing. I didn't think about nursing a "newborn". He has always had a good latch, I just don't think I paid attention to HOW he was latching on. Now I'm not a big fan of "breastfeeding isn't supposed to hurt at ALL". I think in the begining for most moms (that I know personally anyway), your boobs do get sore. I was prepared for soreness, but not this. I do know that this excessive pain is my fault, b/c I wasn't as careful in the begining.
But when will it get better? I have used lanolin since birth, starting yesterday I used the salt water thing from the kellymom website, I have used breastmilk on my nipples, and then used more lanolin. I even cut holes in a shirt, and wore it all day yesterday so they could get more air. I thought it was getting better until this morning I have fresh scabs. He nursed really well last night, had a great latch, etc. Now granted he nursed from 8:00 until 12:00 one side to the other, then 2:00, 4:00, 6:00. Could that have anything to do with it? Someone please tell me yes. lol I really think I'm doing everything correctly, and just want for there to be an ending in sight.

I'm a little confused on letting the nipples get air, and putting lanolin on them. Those don't seem like they go together.

So my pressing questions;

how soon will these scabs heal?
could it be worse from constantly feeding (like the 4 hour cluster)?
let them get lots of air or use lanolin and wear a bra?

Thanks so much for any/all help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 11-14-2004, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you sure he's latching well? Or do you think he wasn't latching well in the beginning and now he's latching better? My 2nd ds was badly tongue-tied and it took me weeks to figure it out. Like you, I had nursed before without difficulty and the pain was at the beginning of the feeding. If it's just that he wasn't latching well before, but is now, it should start getting better in a few days. Not long. Lansinoh should help a lot. I hope it starts getting better soon! If I were you, I'd try and get ahold of a LLL leader. They might take a look at his latch to make sure it's good and give you suggestions for your nipples. Good luck!

Wendy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page