over-supply and mastitis questions - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 01-04-2005, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a good friend who is currently nursing her 5 month old. She says she's going to wean when he's 6 months. She has had oversupply issuses from the beginning and has to pump everyday. She has tried to wean off the pump, but whenever she stops pumping for a day and only nurses, she gets mastitis. She has had it 3 times so far.
I don't have any first hand experience with this problem, so I figured I'd throw this question out to you ladies. She's a SAHM, and I'd love for her to continue breastfeeding past 6 months but I don't know what to tell her. I think she is just so fed up with it at this point.
She says she never feels a plugged duct, she just suddenly has mastitis. She's not wearing underwire bras or sleeping on her stomach.

Any ideas to help her to stop pumping and continue breastfeeding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-04-2005, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...-mastitis.html

As always, kellymom has some great info.

I have almost always had an oversupply. I only nurse on one side at a feeding, and sometimes 2 feedings in a row. I have had 3 plugged ducts and mastitis twice (all before DS was 6 months old, except one minor plugged duct that I worked out in a matter of hours). Now, if DS skips a nursing or two, I know exactly where to be concerned about. It's the same duct that always has a problem on one side. I think the ducts get damaged a little after an infection, but they still produce a lot of milk.

The only way to reduce your supply is to empty the breasts less often....so pumping is only going to make her situation worse. She needs to only pump to relieve pain, but not empty the breast fully. Some women pick a certain number of hours (usually 4) and only nurse on one side for that 4 hours...then switch to the other side. It does work. You have to watch for signs of plugged ducts and use a lot of heat and massage while you're getting your supply down, but it's worth it. Good luck to your friend. She's doing great having gotten this far with all her problems.
#3 of 3 Old 01-04-2005, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
i had oversupply problem and thanx to ladies here now it seems to be better...i feed 5 hours on each side...and today i just woke up no leaks no huge breasts no pain... yes i think pumping is not going to solve the problem...good luck!

Katie, farmer's wife belly.gifmom to ds (9y) modifiedartist.gifand dd (6y)dust.gif and ds (3y) jog.gif   we goorganic.jpg    saynovax.gifhomebirth.jpghomeschool.gif 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page