Supply Questions at 9 months - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 09-07-2005, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas, I could use some advice/wisdom -

DS is 9 months old and nurses on demand (probably 6 - 8 times a day/night) and loves solids as well (eats something with us at every meal).

I just returned to work last week -- 20 hours a week -- I leave ds 3 times a week for 6 hours at a time. I pump just enough to have 8 oz on hand per day, in part because I feel like I don't have enough of a supply to pump more and still feed him when I get home.

I can't figure out what my questions are ... :

Am I compromising my milk supply by going 6 hours a day 3 days a week without feeding or pumping? Sometimes I get home and he's not hungry so I go maybe 8 hours. He only nurses on one side at a time, so one breast might not get any nursing action for 10 hours or more!

Am I hurting him by having him drink diluted juice and water, and eat his favorite solids, if he is hungry/thirsty after the bottle is gone and I am not home yet?

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 09-08-2005, 01:26 AM

Wow. I really want to see replies to this because I'm thinking of going back next month when ds is 8 months at the exact same schedule as you. Hoping some mamas have good ideas to share!

:
#3 of 4 Old 09-08-2005, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainy32
Hi mamas, I could use some advice/wisdom -

DS is 9 months old and nurses on demand (probably 6 - 8 times a day/night) and loves solids as well (eats something with us at every meal).

I just returned to work last week -- 20 hours a week -- I leave ds 3 times a week for 6 hours at a time. I pump just enough to have 8 oz on hand per day, in part because I feel like I don't have enough of a supply to pump more and still feed him when I get home.

I can't figure out what my questions are ... :

Am I compromising my milk supply by going 6 hours a day 3 days a week without feeding or pumping? Sometimes I get home and he's not hungry so I go maybe 8 hours. He only nurses on one side at a time, so one breast might not get any nursing action for 10 hours or more!

Am I hurting him by having him drink diluted juice and water, and eat his favorite solids, if he is hungry/thirsty after the bottle is gone and I am not home yet?

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!
Hi, Rene! Remember me, Shannon from Mothers Beach? Anyway, lol, you do not need to worry about pumping too much and not having enough for him when you get back. Its a supply and demand thing. You can pump as much as you want and still have plenty to nurse him. I personally think you should pump once at work so you will have more than 8 oz for him while you are gone. Its better than solids or water/juice and it seems like 6-8 hours is a long time to go with only 8 oz. But your supply will be fine for as long as you are nursing. Good luck!

~Shannon~ Proud Mama of 3 girls, ages 7,4, and 2.

#4 of 4 Old 09-08-2005, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Shannon! Nice to hear from you and see you on these boards, my dial-up is so slow that I never get to go on SoCalAP anymore ... but now that I'm at work and have a fast computer ... I might!

thanks for the advice -- I am trying to pump at work, but even when I close my office door, students knock on it, and at night you can see right in my office windows (huge windows with no shades), so that makes it hard, too. I am trying to pump a bit on weekends to get a supply stashed in the freezer.

periwinkle -- good luck going back to work -- i've been blessed with an amazingly easy transition, PM me if you need anything! what do you do, btw? I'm a professor, but its odd to see others with my exact (and heavenly) schedule.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page