Bring Home Baby/Baby Story WTF - Mothering Forums

#1 of 16 Old 02-07-2007, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Watching bringing home baby what is this crap formula promoting???Baby breastfeeds for 2 hours then right after they give baby a formula bottle beacuse he was still hungey ok the bay was probbly wanting to suck for comfort pissies me off...I struggle and I have my moments where its tough and I cry but I do it ....I dont get these people on this show always...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 02-07-2007, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is one of the MANY reasons I just stopped watching shows like this.

#3 of 16 Old 02-07-2007, 10:27 PM

I don't watch them either because the first thing they do is pop a bottle in the babes mouth.

#4 of 16 Old 02-07-2007, 11:35 PM

yup that is why i dont watch those anymore
#5 of 16 Old 02-08-2007, 12:36 AM

I really wish I could know reliably when they would have AP and BF friendly shows on ... every once and awhile I hear of one that's great (awhile ago apparently there was one with a mom of twins who was cd'ing and bfing too ). But by and large, just uninformed awful stuff.

I actually happened to switch over to that today and watched 'til the dad headed down for the bottle. : I think it would be fun for Ina to watch if it weren't for the bf misinformation which is parroted all the time; but I don't want that "information" in her head. She already thinks we should buy all sorts of things she's seen in TV ads (drugs and more!).

I have been meaning to write them a letter for a long time. On Flip That House, they always have little blurbs pop up about how to safely do X project, or what to do to figure a cost projection or whatever .... if they can provide FACTS on that show, they ought to be able to use a pop-up on their baby shows which says, "Babies should be nursed on demand and not placed on schedules, according to the AAP." or "In the first few weeks, while mothers' supplies are being established, baby may nurse for long periods of time and frequently to establish the supply. Mothers should allow their babies to nurse when this happens, and simply watch for adequate wet and dirty diapers and signs of dehydration."

I'd lay $$ that the babe was just in the final stages of trying to work the milk in -- and mom and dad give formula instead!

Not all who wander are lost.
#6 of 16 Old 02-08-2007, 06:19 AM

Yup, that's why I can't watch those shows anymore either. For that matter, even on mainstream message boards I find myself having to close the window half the time when I read of moms who's doctors tell them that formula will help the baby grow faster, moms who put cereal in the bottle, moms who start solids in a 4-month-old preemie who's adjusted age is 2.5 months, etc.

Apparently a lot of people think this way and parent in that style, so maybe that's why it's all over TV as well.
#7 of 16 Old 02-08-2007, 11:30 AM

Yep, I dont think Ive ever seen a "Bringing Home Baby" show that the parents breastfed very long... On "Baby Story" Ive seen a few that were great but most sucked!!!
#8 of 16 Old 02-08-2007, 12:43 PM

Those shows usually do make me sad too - although last week I saw one (BHB) where the mom said that she was worried that her toddler (maybe 2-3?) was going to have a hard time not nursing because he weaned when she got pg with the baby. There wasn't a bottle to be seen in that episode

They also showed the baby sleeping in mom and dad's bed!
#9 of 16 Old 02-08-2007, 12:43 PM

there is a newer show called surviving motherhood...they actually show a mom breastfeeding a child OVER a year old...i was impressed with that....even though it still seemed to me she was looked down on a bit by the other moms....the breastfeeding mom was very AP.
#10 of 16 Old 02-08-2007, 04:02 PM

everytime i watch those shows it makes me mad cause none of them breastfed or they will try than say well i dont make enough soo we have to do formula i really just want to jump over their and ring their heads hahahahaha

ayah

Amanda mom to Mahmoud 7-20-06, Kareem 8-23-08, and Baby #3 due May 19th 2011
#11 of 16 Old 02-08-2007, 06:11 PM

i cant watch those shows any more i get too mad. i watch house of babies though. i love it. its the only one that promotes natural births/bfing etc.

Trying to with SO my dd3 my ds 2 dss 7 dss 8 and 2 chinese creasted's
#12 of 16 Old 02-08-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothertoall View Post
there is a newer show called surviving motherhood...they actually show a mom breastfeeding a child OVER a year old...i was impressed with that....even though it still seemed to me she was looked down on a bit by the other moms....the breastfeeding mom was very AP.
I think the mom you are referring to is an MDC mom (there are some threads floating around about the week she was on the show).

I have been really sleepy (read: unmotivated to get up and do anything!) at the time Surviving Motherhood is on lately and have been watching. Most of the time I like a couple of the moms, but this week, excluding Hena, I am screaming at the TV. Today, at the end of the show, they discussed how expensive babies are, specifically: formula, 'sposies, and baby furniture. The whole time I am yelling (okay, talking loudly) at the TV saying "ummm, breastfeed, use cloth (flats or prefolds if $$ is a big concern), and share your bed/dresser/closet!"

Yet I'll probably watch again tomorrow
#13 of 16 Old 02-08-2007, 06:49 PM

Similarly, there is a show on MTV called "True Life" and one of the episodes was about Iraq vets coming home. One guy's wife had a baby while he was in Iraq, and when he came back they were pretty much flat broke. He was complaining about how all his money went to the baby, and sure enough, they were at Target buying formula and disposables. *sigh*
#14 of 16 Old 02-08-2007, 07:38 PM

There was one Bringing home baby where the mom was BFing but her doctor told her that because she had such a large baby, and she was a petite woman, she would never make enough milk and would therefore have to supplement. How stupid is that?
#15 of 16 Old 02-08-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieK View Post
There was one Bringing home baby where the mom was BFing but her doctor told her that because she had such a large baby, and she was a petite woman, she would never make enough milk and would therefore have to supplement. How stupid is that?
Very. But sadly, I think common. My sister was told by her ped that my DN needed formula and cereal at 3 months because she "couldn't keep up." - all because he was wanting to eat more than every 3 hours.:
#16 of 16 Old 02-08-2007, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellita View Post
Similarly, there is a show on MTV called "True Life" and one of the episodes was about Iraq vets coming home. One guy's wife had a baby while he was in Iraq, and when he came back they were pretty much flat broke. He was complaining about how all his money went to the baby, and sure enough, they were at Target buying formula and disposables. *sigh*
I can almost guarantee you they are very irresponsible with their money to begin with. Military pay itself looks to be on the low side but then you have to remember we get FREE housing, FREE utilities, FREE health care, we get use of the commissary which sells food at cost, etc. Not only that but when they are overseas you get tons of extra pay. Dh has been deployed twice and both times we were able to save a TON of money that we usually can't because he made so much more than usual! You get family seperation pay every month and if he was in Iraq he def would have been getting imminent danger pay as well. Not to mention that it's all tax free so when tax time rolls around you literally ROLL in the money. One year, because of all our tax free pay, it looked to the IRS like we made only $7000 that year...you should have seen our refund, it was insane.

Of course I wouldn't trust any show on MTV called "True Life" LOL.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page