Will I lose my milk? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 04-24-2007, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is 8 months and still EBF, no solids yet. I'd love to have another baby, but I'm terrified that my milk would dry up. AF came back at 5 months PP, and I have regular cycles.

I am so ambivalent about this, it is causing a little strain on our sex life . Is it common for milk to dry up when pg? I'd appreciate any info!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 04-24-2007, 05:15 AM

It commonly decreases a lot at some point, usually about halfway through. It is totally possible to breastfeed through pregnancy, but it's typically not possible to provide enough milk to be the main source of nourishment for the first child all the way through. I'd highly recommend the book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" by Hilary Flower. It really helped me decide what I wanted to do when I started considering this issue.

Personally I would definitely wait at least until the little one is reliably eating solids before I considered having another baby.
#3 of 9 Old 04-24-2007, 01:09 PM

I'd wait. I got pregnant when dd was just over 2 (I m/c last month) and my milk was gone by 12 weeks. It would have been very traumatic if dd was younger.

-Angela

#4 of 9 Old 04-24-2007, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Another vote for waiting and reading Hillary Flower's book. Decreased milk production is the norm, I can't tell you how many phone calls I get from moms who realize this after the fact and then have no choice but to supplement with formula. What I always tell moms asking this question, is to pick an age where you ok with your child getting no milk or weaning and get pg then. Best wishes.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#5 of 9 Old 04-25-2007, 02:00 AM

My son weaned at 15 months when I was about 8 weeks pregnant. My supply had totally tanked. I wish I could have nursed him longer, but we have fertility issues, so I feel very lucky that we're able to have another baby at all. We didn't exactly have the luxury of planning pregnancy the way most people do.

If I were "normal" in the reproductive department, I would have waited until my son was about 2 to get pregnant again. At that point, I wouldn't have felt any guilt about him weaning. The way it happened, I do feel some guilt about my baby weaning prematurely - or what I consider to be premature.
#6 of 9 Old 04-25-2007, 02:21 PM

I'm one of the few whose milk production never lessened. I nursed my dd while I was pregnant w/ ds and I could still shoot milk across the room (I have overactive letdown and have always had no trouble w/ my supply). DD stopped nursing at about 22 mos on her own, but I still had milk. I was hoping to tandem to help w/ the first few days of engorgement, but dd had her own ideas. But agree to wait. I wouldn't want to endanger my nursing babe's supply. And you won't know if it'll dry up, until it does. Its completely random.
#7 of 9 Old 04-25-2007, 02:32 PM

Thanks for this thread b/c I feel pretty much the same as the OP- only my babe is 5 months. My cycles haven't come back yet, but it seems they may and I am just not really on top of things in the birth control dept. : I wouldn't exactly WANT another right now, but I'm certainly not doing a lot to prevent it (except for the fact that we don't have much time for sex now! ). I do know I want a third 'someday'.... and someday is sooner than later! Ahhh, babies.

Sorry, didn't want to hijack the thread! :

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#8 of 9 Old 04-25-2007, 04:29 PM

You might... I lost mine. And a baby under a year would need formula (or donated milk). I was very distraught when I lost my milk, I got pregnant when DS was 18 months old! I couldn't imagine losing my milk with a baby younger than that. There is no way to know ahead of time if it will happen or not. Sorry
#9 of 9 Old 04-25-2007, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I lost my milk very early in my 2nd pregnancy - 5/6 weeks. My DD (then 3.5) weaned herself due to it. It was easy on her b/c she was ready at that age. With her, even 6 months earlier would have been very traumatic for both of us! She loved her nursies.

Maybe you could wait a few months till your DS was reliably eating solids? That way you wouldn't have to stress over it so much. Besides, it would give your body a little more time to recover too. Good luck! I just had my second and it's every bit as blissful as the first!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page