Will I Lose My Milk Supply - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 07-02-2007, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I hope some very smart mama can give me some good advice..I am ready to exercise hard,I have a vid called slim in 6 I did 3 years ago with wonderful results and I want to do it again....Probblem is I am scared if I do this for the 6 weeks I will lose my milk supply..I have bought Fenugreek dont know if I should take it while exercising...Should I keep my calories high,or in the 1800 range.....Lo is 8 months and eating solids.......Any good advice you have for workingout when breastfeeding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 07-02-2007, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'd keep your calories high, and too, consider that if you exercise too hard at this point, you risk throwing ketones into your milk, which at best baby won't like the taste of, and at worst, baby won't take at all.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#3 of 5 Old 07-02-2007, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Diet plays a Crucial role! Check out the book Mother foods, it's fab! Make sure you are also getting plenty of fluids!

Best wishes~

#4 of 5 Old 07-02-2007, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Definitely keep your calories high, they should be at your pregnancy calories. If you do not keep them high enough, your body will go into starvation mode and you will not lose weight anyway and your supply will suffer.
I trained for, (when she was 6 months old), and ran a marathon (when she was 13 months old)
She had no problems with the milk or anything and she barely ate spoonfuls of solid foods. The only day I had a problem was on a 20 mile practice run when I did not eat enough gels or drink enough gatorade.

Good luck and enjoy your exercise!

Deb

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#5 of 5 Old 07-02-2007, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would love to hear how you train for a marathon and breastfed. Before becoming pregnant with #2 I ran marathons, and now that she is here, I'm looking forward to start training again, but I'm not sure how to do it with breast feeding. I just had her 4 weeks ago so I would like to start exercising in the next few weeks. Any suggestions you could give would be highly appreciated!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page