Red Tea - Okay while nursing? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 08-08-2003, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just bought some red tea - supposed to have the antioxident benefits of green tea without the caffeine. Does anyone know if this is safe to drink while nursing? I used to love green tea but stopped it after I got pregnant first time around because of the caffeine and a general uncertaintly about what was safe and what wasn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-10-2003, 03:40 AM

do you mean roiboos or pu-erh "red tea"?

roiboos is a s. african bush without any caffeine, but with many minerals. i've not seen too much info on it but it's supposed to be very good for nursing moms + it has the bonus of tasting a bit like black tea (if you get those sort of cravings). yummy.

chinese red tea, like pu-erh, is still a variety of the "tea" plant, and has some caffeine though not as much as green or black teas - due to a different fermenting process. i don't know much relating to this red tea and nursing, but in chinese culture i've been told it's fairly cleansing and especially good for hangovers and too indulgent eating.

probably in moderation they are all just fine - does the water decaffeinating process affect antioxident levels in green teas?
(too bad decaf teas never taste as good)
#3 of 3 Old 08-10-2003, 03:51 AM

hello again!

i saw in your posting in health & healing that it's rooibos tea that you mean. just a tip that it's much tastier if you let it steep for quite a while (minimum of 5 min, kept warm for 10 is better). the first few times i tried it i only steeped it a few minutes til the water was dark. blah, weak.

if you like east indian style chai, rooibos is a great black tea substitute!

cheers!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page