Pacifiers ???????? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

#61 of 63 Old 11-28-2007, 02:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttlewon View Post
Are you sure pacifiers weren't invented to give bottle fed babies a sucking outlet?
yes, they were. that is exactly why they were invented. because a baby can't suck on an empty bottle the way they can on an "empty" breast although breast are never empty).
another issue is that when a baby sucks a paci, it is less time at the breast, which means less stimulation, which means a quicker return of AF. for many women, breastfeeding is an excellent form of birth control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 63 Old 11-28-2007, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Any artificial nipple *can* interfere with breastfeeding. Do they always? Of course not. Is it a risk every time you choose one? Yes.

-Angela
:
#63 of 63 Old 11-28-2007, 02:45 PM

I bf all 5 of mine and all 5 had pacifiers...that being said, I wouldnt do it now and it has more to do with that fact that we dont know what is leeching(sp?) out of the plastic or silicone into our children. There is a recent study where they took blood samples from NB's and found they had high levels of the chemical residue of plastic breakdown in their system at birth.These chemicals are an artificial estrogen( they were trying to develope an artificial estrogen when they discovered plastic) and have been linked to early puberty, cancer and infertility in both men and women.I am trying to get rid of plastic in our home (next to impossible!) for this reason.

I just think the answer is to stop making this stuff and stop giving it to our children. Kind of OT but another reason of why not to give one.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page