pumping while travelling... looong trip - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 11-25-2007, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I am pumping for my DD exclusively and we have a loooong trip to make to get to my parents house for Xmas, like a 10 hour drive if we don't stop, which we will be with 2 under 2. We are planning on doing it over 2 days. My issue is how to store the milk while we we are driving. I just starting freezing some milk yesterday to feed on the way there, but I have no idea how to store it and what I pump on the way there. We have a plug-in cooler that we usually bring... will this suffice? Any ideas anyone? I can't not pump as I don't want to mess with my supply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 11-25-2007, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used a hand pump while driving (Someone else drove, I pumped! ) and then gave it right aferward. I didn't bring any frozen supply. It worked fine. I think you can get car adapters for your electric pump. Then you can pump while the other person drives.

You may be able to do it in one day, but it is always a good idea to be prepared to take 2. We regularly go on 12 hour trips (that take 14-18 hours with kids ).

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#3 of 11 Old 11-25-2007, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

do you feed fresh pumped?

#4 of 11 Old 11-25-2007, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yep, I fed them fresh pumped (I was pumping for my twins the first few weeks). You can keep fresh milk for 12 hours without refridgeration, so you don't need to worry if they don't eat it all.

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#5 of 11 Old 11-25-2007, 06:51 PM

Hi,

I EP'ed for my first and when we drove to San Francisco we did the same thing, had a power adapter that stuck in the cigarette lighter thing. We kept the milk in a cooler with ice. Something else I would recommend is labeling the time and date so you can use the oldest freshest first, if that makes sense.
#6 of 11 Old 11-27-2007, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdahlgrd View Post
Yep, I fed them fresh pumped (I was pumping for my twins the first few weeks). You can keep fresh milk for 12 hours without refridgeration, so you don't need to worry if they don't eat it all.
I usually put the leftovers back in the fridge, add fresh, rewarm and throw out what's left. Can I leave an unfinished bottle out? How long is it good for after it's been started? I know that unfinished formula needs to be thrown out after and hour, but I don't think that that applies to BM....
#7 of 11 Old 11-27-2007, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathteach View Post
Hi,

I EP'ed for my first and when we drove to San Francisco we did the same thing, had a power adapter that stuck in the cigarette lighter thing. We kept the milk in a cooler with ice. Something else I would recommend is labeling the time and date so you can use the oldest freshest first, if that makes sense.
yes, that makes sense. I do that at home as well, oldest at the front, new stuff in the back.
#8 of 11 Old 11-27-2007, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathteach View Post
Hi,

I was an EPer too... Whenever we went somewhere I would just put the milk in ice in a cooler, and label it so the oldest got used first. I also used the power adapter thingy that went into the cigarette lighter. I didn't really take any extra milk with me, just enough to be 2 feedings ahead in case I had a bad pump session.
#9 of 11 Old 11-27-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy0306 View Post
I usually put the leftovers back in the fridge, add fresh, rewarm and throw out what's left. Can I leave an unfinished bottle out? How long is it good for after it's been started? I know that unfinished formula needs to be thrown out after and hour, but I don't think that that applies to BM....
Hi. Good luck with the trip. I would also just put the pumped milk in the cooler to use along the way. You can get ice from gas stations and restaurants along the way if it's thawing too quickly.

I think the "rules" about not using a bottle after a long period apply to EBM as well, because it's supposed to be bacteria from the baby's mouth that cause it to "go bad". Honestly, we ignored the rules and put the unfinished bottle of EBM back in the fridge until the next feeding. We never used the same milk for more than that initial feeding the very next one, though (so two feedings total, at most). If I were in your shoes, I think I would put it back in the cooler to keep cool until the next feeding, and then use it for that second feeding. We never mixed that "old" milk from the previous feeding and the "new" milk from the current feeding, though, just to keep straight which milk was which.
#10 of 11 Old 11-28-2007, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstress View Post
Hi. Good luck with the trip. I would also just put the pumped milk in the cooler to use along the way. You can get ice from gas stations and restaurants along the way if it's thawing too quickly.

I think the "rules" about not using a bottle after a long period apply to EBM as well, because it's supposed to be bacteria from the baby's mouth that cause it to "go bad". Honestly, we ignored the rules and put the unfinished bottle of EBM back in the fridge until the next feeding. We never used the same milk for more than that initial feeding the very next one, though (so two feedings total, at most). If I were in your shoes, I think I would put it back in the cooler to keep cool until the next feeding, and then use it for that second feeding. We never mixed that "old" milk from the previous feeding and the "new" milk from the current feeding, though, just to keep straight which milk was which.
I do this as well, I just can't justify throwing all that milk away!!
#11 of 11 Old 11-28-2007, 12:51 PM

I also never threw milk away. I kept it in the same bottle, and rerefridgerated it and fed it to dd whenever she wanted milk again. I did not mix new milk with used milk.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page