Bfar - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 11-26-2007, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are there any other BFAR moms out there? (Breast Feeding after Reduction)????
I'm not due until April but want to be prepared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 11-26-2007, 07:06 PM

I believe that there are but you may find better information and support at the BFAR website. I believe they also have a forum.

Have you read the book yet?
~Cath
#3 of 12 Old 11-27-2007, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

I saw something about the book but am having trouble finding it--I think it is out of print maybe--I can only find a paperback copy for $50--a little too rich for my blood right now but I have our library looking for it as well.

#4 of 12 Old 11-27-2007, 01:03 PM

Thetnpreacherswife,
Sorry for the initial wimpy answer. I was hoping that someone with some BTDT experience would chime in but I forget that BFAR moms are probably a little busy trying to boost their supply.

I’m not a BFAR mom myself but had some supply issues as a Working & Pumping mom. My local LLL had a copy of the BFAR book and the leader recommended it to me as a good source of information on herbs that boost supply. So, my first suggestion is that you contact any LLLs local to you and see if they have this in their library. I recommend that any pregnant mom check out their LLL anyway so the leader has a face to put to the name if/when you call with any issues.

If you can’t find an LLL near you or if they don’t have the book contact your local bookstore and see if they have it on the shelf so you can go in and browse it before buying it. If they don’t have it, see if they will order it for you. I’m guessing you could go in, give it a quick skim to see if you will find it worth the money or not and then buy it if you think you will find it useful.

The other book I highly recommend is Dr. Jack Newman’s “The Ultimate Book of Breastfeeding Answers”. You might as well ask them to order that so you can look that over as well. (Again, check your local LLL first)

I am confident that you will find both books useful and that you will want to have at least one of them on hand. Since you are not due until April you could always ask someone for a copy as a holiday gift.

I do have one theoretical suggestion that I would have tried towards the end of my second pregnancy if I weren’t still nursing DD1 (which was a tremendous supply booster). If you could find an herb you feel comfortable taking towards the end of your pregnancy I wonder if that might give you a bit of a head start. I’ve never read of anyone else trying this strategy but one herb that comes to mind is Red Raspberry Leaf (RRL), which is often recommended to facilitate an easier delivery. It is also a supply booster.

There is an RRL tribe on MDC somewhere. If that interests you at all I could try to locate that thread for you.

I do have several practical supply boosting tips. I would suggest that once the baby is born that you try to create opportunities for DC to help himself when he is relaxed and not hungry: co-sleeping, skin to skin contact, baby wearing (with a sling), taking baths together, etc.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
~Cath

BFAR website
http://www.bfar.org/

BFAR forums
http://www.bfar.org/joinFora.php?cmd=JoinList

BFAR book: $36.93 (BFAR link to Amazon so Shipping is probably free)
http://www.bfar.org/book.php

Low Milk Supply website (I believe this is a “sister site” to BFAR)
http://www.lowmilksupply.org/

MDC thread on the Breastfeeding Challenges Board: BFAR advice?, posted by EkkaGrrl on 9/14/07.
https://www.mothering.com/discussions...highlight=bfar

MDC “sticky” at the top of the Breastfeeding Challenges Board: Desperately needing advice! (Low Milk Supply Info), posted by Happily Blessed on 7/24/07
https://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=363
I posted twice, see #s 5 (Supply) and 6 (Pumping tips)
Note, I try to title any links I leave so if they are inactive they can be “Googled” or found using a MetaSearch engine such as “Dogpile”. However, if you have trouble finding a current link please feel free to PM me.

The Protocols for Induced Lactation A Guide for Maximizing Breastmilk Production
http://www.mamadearest.ca/en/info/ne...-lactation.htm
This isn’t specific to BFAR but does contain a lot of useful info on increasing supply.

MDC “Advanced Search” results using the term “BFAR”
https://www.mothering.com/discussions...archid=6520897
I haven’t tried this before but I did an Advanced Search and am trying to link the results here so you can see the kinds of questions other MDC BFAR moms have had and the answers they have gotten.
#5 of 12 Old 11-27-2007, 06:40 PM

I’m a successful BFAR Mom! With DS it was a disaster, but with this baby it has been wonderful!! I saw Jack Newman before the baby was born and got great advice. Let me know what you are looking for specifically and I’d be happy to help!

Wife to Dh Mom to Ds (6) Dd (3)
and our brand new Ds
#6 of 12 Old 11-27-2007, 06:47 PM

omg is that you? i am so proud of you and happy about your little. mine is squirrling around on the floor right now. i am working on a email to you, and should probably PM you but i had to say hi before i ran out of time.

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

#7 of 12 Old 11-27-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom22 View Post

I’m a successful BFAR Mom! With DS it was a disaster, but with this baby it has been wonderful!! I saw Jack Newman before the baby was born and got great advice. Let me know what you are looking for specifically and I’d be happy to help!
newmom22,
Without knowing all of the circumstances and at the risk of seeming overly philosophical, I wonder if your BFAR attempt with DC1 laid the groundwork for your success with DC2. If so, then perhaps it wasn't a "complete" disaster.

I have heard that nerves and ducts can re-enervate and re-channel; and with each BFAR attempt things can improve further.

In any case, congrats on your success the second time around!!
~Cath
#8 of 12 Old 11-27-2007, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Wow--fabulous advice!
And yes, jldumm--it's me
I have contacted LLL and there isn't a local one for me but there is one about an hour from here and I have talked with a few leaders via email.
I have a copy of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding but will definitely check out the Newman book! I'm not in that small of a town but it seems crazy tiny right now--our closest book store is an hour away as well but I'm calling now to see if they maybe have a copy on the shelf! Great idea!
I'll ask about the Red Rasberry Leaf--I'm all about starting things early to get the ball rolling.
I really appreciate the feedback!
#9 of 12 Old 11-28-2007, 12:50 AM

Me me me me me!

I'm a proud bfar-ing mom, after using formula for my three older children. It was difficult at first -- after using bottles for years -- but now it's totally natural, like brushing my teeth. I feel like I've been doing it forever. And I absolutely LOVE bf'ing

My biggest issue during my pregnancy was whether or not to take Domperidone. I ended up buying a ton (enough to take 160mg/day for three months) and I haven't needed it. I made sure to see an IBCLC/RN when my dd was 4 days old, so I could see exactly how much she was eating and gaining. I would have taken it if I needed it, and I'm keeping it around in case I do need it in the future.

So, my main rec is seeing a IBCLC, especially one who has worked with bfar moms. And committing to bf'ing. A lot of the moms on the bfar.org forum have siggies with their goals and when they achieved them (one week, one month, 2 months, 4 months, etc). It can be difficult, and it's hard to *know* if you have enough milk. At nighttime, when my dd is fussing, I sometimes wonder, holy crap, do I have enough? is she crying because she wants more and I'm empty?

PM me if you have any other q's. The bfar.org site is great, but it moves.really.really.really.slowly.

How long ago was your reduction?

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#10 of 12 Old 11-28-2007, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

10 years ago was my reduction--
I registered on the bfar.org site but am waiting the 24 hours or whatever to begin. I visit the OB today and am going to ask about LC. We are minus LLL here so I've also signed up for the hospital BF class.
I think I'm just super nervous and want to make sure I'm doing everything I possibly can before the baby is born so I don't say "Well if I'd only known to do that!"
I'm sure I'm just over-nervous too!
#11 of 12 Old 11-28-2007, 02:12 PM

I had a reduction in 92 when I thought I was done having kids and then my ds in 97 and dd in '00 and bf them both with no issues. My advice would be to read up and be prepared but you just might not have an issue at all.

Good luck
#12 of 12 Old 11-28-2007, 03:01 PM

I totally agree with hbmomof5. I haven't had any issues relating to my reduction. And I think the length of time that has passed is a factor, 10 years is a long time. Mine was 12 years ago.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page