**updated*** 7 WEEK old pending nursing strike - won't take other feeding methods HELP! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 10-31-2008, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
***Update***
Well, I did skin to skin and she'd nurse for a few secs and pop off for an hour. Then I took the bottle I bought and gave it to her *without* BM to she if she'd take it and she did and didn't pop off. Hmmm. So, I put an ounce of BM in it and she would suck a few times and pop off - the same as when she nursed. What is going on??? She's not gaining and she's not content and obviously hungry. What really confuses me is she'll take a paci with no problem and it comforts her, but nothing with milk in it. So, it would seem weird for it to be teething, thrush or some other mouth discomfort. We're on our way to the LC now.
-----------------------------

Well, it's gone from bad to worse. My dd started refusing the breast as soon as the milk stopped flowing quickly about a week or so ago. She did it before that, but it only happened once a day or so and now it's constantly. I can't keep her on after the first letdown. If I offer beyond that, she has a meltdown.

A couple days ago, we attempted the SNS and it took her an hour to finish an ounce. She popped off a lot and screamed. Of course, it was again slow flow.

I'm assuming the problem is latch, since she can't even get the SNS milk at a reasonable rate. Dr. Newman says with the correct latch, it should take about 15 minutes to finish an ounce. Problem with fixin her latch is that she's already on the road to a strike (she screams when she nears the breast more than half the time) and trying to correct her latch gives her more negative association and she refuses altogether.

Then we have the problem of she won't accept the bottle, spoon, cup, syringe - NOTHING. We tried having her suck on our finger without the SNS and she freaks. So, finger feeding is out. She gets hysterical with all methods. So, she's living off my first letdown every time I get her on the breast, which ranges from 10 minutes to 30 minutes. If I do it too often, she'll get mad with the milk slowing down so quick and having to switch her.

We're going to the LC this afternoon, but other than checking for stuff like tongue tie, thrush, etc, there really isn't much she can do when Sarai is doing this.

PLEASE, any suggestions are so appreciated. I don't want her to end up dehydrated and in the hospital. She's doing ok so far, she's hydrated, but hungry, fussy and not sleeping well. She is no longer gaining the last two days, which is a first for her.

I'm trying taking a bath with her to see if it will kept her on longer and skin to skin as often as possible. I'm also keeping nursing as low key as possible. These are things my LC suggested.

Thanks!

Blessed helpmeet to my man, mama to Cody, Sarai & newly born Rebekah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 10-31-2008, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HUGS mama!!! I am sooo right there with you.. DS has been doing that sort of thing for the last 4 weeks (he is 9 weeks old now) or so.. He has got allergy issues, and the reason he has nursing strikes is because he has an upset tummy.. yesterday he refused to eat for about 5 hours before finally eating.. and even then it was a fight to get him to eat.... From everything I have heard, when they do that, try not to offer any other feeding than the breast, no bottles, etc. to avoid nipple/flow confusion... I am going to call an LLL leader from my church today, if she has any more/better advice I will let you know! This is so tough when they refuse the one thing that is supposed to calm/comfort them.. I know how you feel!!

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page