Mothering Forum banner

ISO childrens book about dying.

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bluebird68 
#1 ·
My ds's great grandpa passed away in March. In the past couple of weeks DS has been questioning death many many times a day. He asks when me and his dad are going to die. He cries and tells me he's going to miss us when we pass away. I can only sit there and cry with him. I get extremely anxious and upset whenever anyone talks about death so it's hard for me to deal with ds's constant questions about death. I know it's just curiosity so I'd really love to find him a book that explains death in easy to understand words. Does anyone have one they are no longer using?

Thanks
Angela

#4 ·
Hello... I don't have any books to pass on, but just wanted to second the suggestion to call a hospice near you and see if they either have a lending library, a list of books to help kids cope, or written info they could share with you. I worked as a social worker for hospice for many years, and they do provide bereavement support as needed to the community, and at times to families who did not get hospice services. I worked with kids 1:1 a few times that just needed some extra support. Sounds like you deserve some, as well! Kids are so raw and up front with their feelings of grief, and it is confrontive and painful when they ask such hard questions! (but usually growthful for us, too). It is hard enough to comprehend death as adults, eh? I will send hugs your way, mama! If you do a search on amazon.com on grandparents and grief, I am sure some really specific titles will come up... I know there are lots in that category, as that is often the first loss of a relative that a child experiences. Hope that helps a bit... Michelle

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.