1Likes
  • 1 Post By katelove

#1 of 2 Old 07-28-2016, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question Friends or Montessori?

Hello, wise moms.

I'm in a quandry of sorts and would love some good feedback and advice. My son, 4, is currently enrolled at both a Montessori school, as well as a Friends school. I love both, and signed him up for both because I didn't know what our schedule would look like next year. I was also indecisive about which one would be a better fit for us, and still am.

Both schools are nut free, which is a plus for us because my son has a peanut allergy. The Montessori school is literally down the street. It's a 2 minute drive. The Friends school is about 15 minutes away but that's not a deal-breaker.

I'm very conflicted about where to send him because the Friends school has such a homey, nurturing, play-based vibe and we really loved it when we visited. They have an awesome tire swing outside, a huge sandbox, and they do lots of cool local trips with the kids. Last fall they made homemade treats, veggie soup, went on hayrides, chopped down a Christmas tree, and mailed Valentine's at the post office. I just love the vibe there.The Montessori school is awesome, too. I met the teaches and I liked the school, itself. For our visit, my son was still relatively young at the time, but I remember him having a good time. I've already purchased sandpaper letters to use at home, and I really like the ideologies behind how Montessori works. However, I'm not sure what would make it a better choice for us. My son is very active, like most 4 year olds. He loves playing, but he also loves building, and he enjoys crafts.

Could anyone hep me decide which is a better option? At this point, I'm not even sure which he would do better at, because I can see him fittign in at either school.

The only extra positive about the Montessori school is that we will probably qualify for financial assistance, and the tuition might be considerably lower per month than at the Friends school. We also qualified for financial assistance at the Friends school, but our monthly tuition is still $340 for 4 days of 12-3. If approved for the financial assistance at the Montessori school, we would likely have about 15 hours covered, and the rest would just be a co-pay.

I've also been bent toward play-based education, especially in the earlier years. If we were still living in the city, he'd be going to a Waldorf school.

I just cannot decide. Waldorf, Friends and Montessori all seem to have their benefits to me. I feel like he would love any of them, but I still want the best fit for him. How do you find a best fit if you've never tried any of these models before?

I need to decide very soon!

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 07-28-2016, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
I don't know what a Friends school is but based on what you've said here it seems to share some similarities with Steiner/Waldorf. My daughter goes to a Steiner school and we love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Binduspire likes this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Tags
friends , Montessori , Waldorf

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page