Waldorf--simplicity parenting by Kim John Payne - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 06-20-2015, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Waldorf--simplicity parenting by Kim John Payne

Hi everyone. I am new to the boards and also new to Waldorf I recently bought this book from the Waldorf books site. I LOVE it. Is the mindset of all Waldorf parents that less is more, non hurried/nateral childhood and little or no media the same? Anyway, I am totally on board with this idea but my partner is only slightly. She is a T.V. addict. My son is attached to her more. I keep hearing this is a phase and that he will come to me more but our son is 2 yrs. Old and I am STILL waiting. But back to the problem whwnever she has a chance she lets him watch it. Granted its cartoons but it bugs me. I expressed concerns of ADD and scientific studies but she says oh just let him be a kid and we all watched T.V. when we were little and we aew fine. How can I convience her to get on board with this? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 06-21-2015, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Just wanted to say Welcome! and I'm sure someone will be along soon to chat with you about this!!

Here from the very beginning of Mothering online forums. Proud to say gentle parenting works; the kids are grown or nearly so.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

User Agreement--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 of 3 Old 06-21-2015, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I love that book, too. I read it when my kids were early elementary and preschool aged and it was so inspirational.

I think the best way to make changes in your lifestyle is to be moderate in scope and intentional in practice. So, by this I mean to carefully carve out a reasonable amount of time to practice whatever this new thing is.

For example, instead of saying no more TV, how about saying that 2 or 3 hours on a Sunday afternoons are set aside for a family activity? And then plan an activity that isn't watching a movie together, e.g. go to the park, read some books, make a craft, play a game, go for a bike ride, etc.

It is more appealing to plan an activity and invite a family member to join you than to lecture them to stop what they're already doing.

Over time, as the family discovers activities they enjoy doing these will more easily become a part of daily life and slowly the shift of how a family lives will change.

Also, while I really enjoyed Simplicity Parenting it is helpful to be mindful of the fact that every family's life is different and we can't all replicate exactly what he did. I've lived much of what he described, but not all, and that's okay.

Household manager for 1 husband, a 13-yr-old son, a 9-yr-old son, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 goats, and too many chickens.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page