homeschool or Waldorf school? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 02-06-2016, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
homeschool or Waldorf school?

Hi, we have a homeschooling teacher as a next door neighbor but she's not familiar with the Waldorf theories or curriculum. Would it still be a good idea for her to teach my child?

See the reason I want to homeschool is because it's safer. On the news you hear more and more about school shootings. But then I also think well, the school is in a small town. What are the chanes. But then I think we'll the shooter won't care if it's a Waldorf, charter,public or private. Is this a good reason for homeschooling? I know we can't shelter our kids from danger but also don't put them in harms way. Shootings are so on my mind that I even have dreams with that in it. I mean my child isn't even in preschool yet. Uggggg. Help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 02-07-2016, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
You may want to post on the Learning at HOme board as these are universal fears common to all parents, not just Waldorf parents. I think you may need to decide if you are really pursuing Waldorf education or if that is less of your concern.

I am sure you will find a subset of homeschooling parents who are doing it out of fear, rather than a desire for a better educaiton (or a mixture).

IMHO, things could happen also while me and my children are at the mall. Or a restaurant. Or an office building. At some point one has to grapple with the existential reality that we can't protect our children (or even ourselves) 100% of the time. And for any mother, that reality stinks. Again, IMHO, schooling should be chosen based on dearly held principles and facts, not based on fear. At some point our children venture forth and they need to have the tools to do it successfully.

Here from the very beginning of Mothering online forums. Proud to say gentle parenting works; the kids are grown or nearly so.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

User Agreement--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 of 9 Old 02-07-2016, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
This is not a good reason for homeschooling, if it is your only reason. I could see exceptions to that, but in general the advantages of homeschooling are what will keep you and your child engaged in it. Those motivate when the going gets rough (and it will, occasionally). To homeschool simply because you are avoiding something-- and in your case not anything immediate-- won't sustain you. (It likely will if the problem is immediate-- like watching your child fall through the cracks repeatedly, or intense, unaddressed anxiety, etc.)

I will be honest and say I do think about what you do, but this isn't *why* I homeschool.

"She is a mermaid, but approach her with caution. Her mind swims at a depth most would drown in."

#4 of 9 Old 02-07-2016, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Thank you.
#5 of 9 Old 02-07-2016, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
homeschool or Waldorf school?

I guess it depends how important Steiner is to you. If your neighbour is not a Steiner teacher then he isn't going to get a Steiner education. Really you are the only one who can make that decision.

Also, don't forget that until class 1 (the year the child turns seven) Steiner is completely non-academic. It's a home-like environment designed to help the child transition to school. So you could just have him at home with you doing everyday things and start to add handwork like finger strings, French knitting, woodwork etc to build hand strength and practice fine motor skills.

I also don't think fear is a great reason to homeschool. Ideally the choice of school should be a)what is accessible/realistic for the family and b) what best suits the individual child :-)

Having said that, I can understand the fear. It would worry me if I lived in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 9 Old 08-10-2016, 03:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would prefer Waldorf School. Children should learn to socialize well and accept different cultures, instead of getting a cultural shock
#7 of 9 Old 09-17-2018, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The school shooters have always been connected to the given school one way or anither right? They don’t randomly go shooting. Mostly it’s mental issues and bullying. The great thing about Waldorf school is that you are in a small community, you will share parenting values with the other families, the communty should be pretty well on top of any bullying issues, at least ours is.
Your kid is still so young! They younger they are the more we don’t want to let go. Do what is right for you now, and maybe when your kid is 5 you will be ready to let go.
It is my fear too, and sometimes I feel like I don’t want to send them outside at all into this f*d up
country. But mainly I’m able to forget. The more you go out there, the more you see that most people are amazing. The problem is that news channels are only interested in the bad, so that is all we hear about!
#8 of 9 Old 09-18-2018, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 373 Post(s)
Quoted: 3205 Post(s)
This is a good example of media distortion of risks.

Alas, your child is probably most likely to be injured or killed in an auto accident. https://www.cdc.gov/safechild/child_injury_data.html

So a school shooting isn't a likely risk, but getting driven back and forth to school is a somewhat larger risk.

However, the fears we struggle with are often not based on accurate assessment of danger.
For example, I'm quite anxious about heights. When my daughter was a child and we went hiking up in the mountains, I would get very antsy when she stood on the "edge" looking down. Generally, she wasn't that close to the edge, I was just extra fearful about her falling. She was a reasonably cautious child and my fear was not rational at all. But it was real fear and I was definitely uncomfortable and anxious.

My only suggestion would be avoiding news media stories about school shootings. They are horribly frightening, there isn't anything you can do to make things better by listening to them and they are undermining your ability to make good decisions for your child.

vaccine injury is preventable
prevent it
(if the government still allows you to say no...) #teamvaxchoice
#9 of 9 Old 09-19-2018, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have been homeschooling mytwo kids elder one is in middle school and younger one is in elementary school. Its been good homeschooling them but recently I am facing problem in homeschooling them due to my health issues. Can anyone suggest me what can I do?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page