I hate Sid the Science Kid - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 48 Old 06-13-2009, 02:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is so funny! The show used to creep me out (and my dd, I think, or that may be b/c I used to say, "This show is a little creepy"). The show has grown on me and now I really like it, so does she.

Hey, wouldn't it be cool if all of life's transitions started off with a dance?

Healing Mama to :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 48 Old 06-13-2009, 02:55 AM

I love this thread! I laughed my head off reading your replies.

DD watches Sid every morning while snuggled up in my bed. I try really hard to go back to sleep to avoid listening to it because I can't stand their weird voices (so much the weirder when you can't SEE the characters because you haven't yet put your glasses on). May and Grandma in particular give me the heebies.

And what is UP with the strange little giggle every character does?

I think DD is kind of meh about it, but she put up with it to get to Super Why, which is on next and which is her absolute favorite show in the whole world next to Cars. (She was Super Why for Halloween, if that gives you any indication.) Sid could never compete with that.

Erin caffix.gif , Happy wife of Honey Bearguitar.gif , mom of Curly Miss (11/04), Little Mister (10/06), Princess Abi (3/08), and The Bean (9/09) jumpers.gifadoptionheart-1.gif  <>< oh, and I blog.

#33 of 48 Old 06-13-2009, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Whistler, I can tolerate Super Why - my younger one likes the opening music, but my older child nearly always says, "Why would that be a super big problem?" At least he's thinking!

#34 of 48 Old 06-13-2009, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
If it helps, think of the characters as digit muppets, because that's what they are. Yeah it is on too often and it's way to overstimulating, they are trying to reach already overstimulated kids I think.
#35 of 48 Old 06-13-2009, 05:53 PM

They don't have teeth, it freaks me out. They look like old dudes without their dentures.
#36 of 48 Old 06-13-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamama View Post

Hey, wouldn't it be cool if all of life's transitions started off with a dance?
I hate Sid, DD gets one show / day and that's not it, but anyway, this is a great idea. We already use song to transition in my house... dance, brilliant.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#37 of 48 Old 06-14-2009, 03:06 PM

I love Sid. I love the diversity of the classroom and families and I just think it's a cool premise.

I will say I do find the voices slightly annoying and YES, Meg bugs me a lot. But, whatever.

Woman. Mother. Activist.
#38 of 48 Old 06-14-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalisis View Post
I love Sid. I love the diversity of the classroom and families and I just think it's a cool premise.

I will say I do find the voices slightly annoying and YES, Meg bugs me a lot. But, whatever.
Yep!

Healing Mama to :
#39 of 48 Old 06-24-2009, 01:10 AM

ack! i don't like it at all! the annoying and condescending tone! the stupid songs! the dancing!

my dd can't stand it, either! she is super irritated that they have this enormous, state of the art school that only has 5 (annoying) kids in it! and that the kids choose the lessons, and free range around, and don't have to follow typical school rules (raising hands, staying seated in a desk, ect) she knows bs when she sees it, lol...

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
#40 of 48 Old 06-24-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post
The over enthusiasm over goofiness bugs me too (and I'm pretty enthusiastic and goofy myself ), the too good to be true school, the way too good dance moves they all have, the annoying adult-pretending-to-be-a-kid voiceovers....the one little girl always sounding like she's on the verge of a nervous breakdown...
This made me laugh out loud! Spot on description!

I don't like any of the voices but the little girl is the worst.

DS likes it so I tolerate it.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#41 of 48 Old 07-05-2009, 12:13 PM

Sid the Science Kid is one of the few TV shows I'll let my kids watch. My 4 year old made a lever the other day in the garage to lift up one of her toys and went on and on about how it was a "simple machine" and called it a lever and then I realized that that's what she had just seen on the show that morning.

We've been known to sing the "I love my mom - uh huh - my mom is cool" song in our car, and DD and her friends have done the joke time thing on the playground before, which cracks me up, mostly because they don't really know how to tell jokes.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that Gerald is "that kid" in the class. I think it's nice that the teacher isn't strict with him, and if he wants to act like an airplane to get to rug time, at least he GOT to rug time, you know?

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#42 of 48 Old 07-05-2009, 05:22 PM

This is funny. I like Sid. My DD is too young to understand it but likes the music. I love Gerald! I think it;s because, having taught sp.ed kids for 7 years, I've had kids like him numerous times. Honestly those kids are my favorites.

On the other hand, I Can. Not. Stand. SuperWhy! The annoying song, the weird, manipulated versions of books. And I really hate how everything in a "super big" problem.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#43 of 48 Old 07-21-2009, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sid's OK - hate Yo Gabba Gabba and Lazytown!

Unschooling, writer mom of Matt, 23; Lydia, 22; Alex, 19; Liam, 17; Jack, 10; Kiara, 8; Seamus, 6; Anais, 2 and ??? June 2016. Full-time RVer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#44 of 48 Old 08-03-2009, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
I CANNOT stand that show, it ranks up there with Lazytown, which I think is a VERY freaky show (and one which made my oldest son freak out and cry every time he saw it).
omg, WHAT is up with Lazytown? It makes ME want to freak out and cry. Do any kids like it?
#45 of 48 Old 08-11-2009, 07:17 PM
New

Me too.
#46 of 48 Old 08-14-2009, 04:22 PM

He he...I like Sid. But the grandma really annoys me though....

~ SAHM with two girls (3/9/06) and (7/1/07) and always remembering my angel (3/17/06)~
#47 of 48 Old 06-28-2014, 11:03 AM

I am soooo glad I found this thread. I thought I was the only mom that hated this show and was feeling a bit ashamed. But I tend to over-analyze everything, and have with this show. The verdict? They try way too hard to present a perfect family, perfect friendships, highly focused children that never laugh at fart jokes or get in trouble for cutting their sib's hair. I disagree that, by not drawing attention to the stark diversity of the characters (they got a two-for-one with May, who I believe is Asian AND Down's Syndrome), we are somehow elevated. Every time I watch it, I feel like I am being shown how we SHOULD be acting. People don't act that way in real life! If the topic is science, give us regular folks talking about it. Caillou gets irritating, but at least it's closer to how life really works.

Whew! I am off my soapbox. Thanks for this forum.
#48 of 48 Old 03-22-2017, 08:01 AM

I know of a better "Sid" character... Sid the Sasquatch. sidthesasquatch .com Every time I google Sid the Sasquatch, the Science Kid comes up too.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page