I hate Sid the Science Kid - Mothering Forums

#1 of 48 Old 06-02-2009, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There, I have said it.

I don't care if it is "educational" or not. And why is it always on when I need a break and let them turn the tv on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 48 Old 06-02-2009, 10:46 PM

I complained about Sid the Science Kid on another msg board and everyone else thought I was weird and told me that kids shows are meant for kids, not for adults. I CANNOT stand that show, it ranks up there with Lazytown, which I think is a VERY freaky show (and one which made my oldest son freak out and cry every time he saw it). I don't know what it is. I think that the characters are extremely annoying and over-acted if that makes any sense. Like an adult was trying too hard to make the kids act very kid-like from an adult's perception, so I think that the characters are not realisitic but, to the point of where they are just plain obnoxious. I do like that material they present, and was excited there as a new show regarding science geared toward preschoolers, but bah, I can't stand the way they present it.
#3 of 48 Old 06-02-2009, 10:50 PM

ITA! I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I've only seen the previews, but there's something about that kid that makes me cringe. I think it's his eyes...the way he blinks. Spooky.

#4 of 48 Old 06-03-2009, 02:45 AM

I love that show. I've been known to watch it when my kids are asleep.
#5 of 48 Old 06-03-2009, 10:02 AM

My kids were TV-free for the past few years (until they were 3 and 2, respectively), and now they're kind of excited to watch Curious George in the mornings.

Sid comes on after George, and they always request that the TV be turned off after George. I think they think he's creepy, too. I don't mind the premise, but the overstuffed-puppet-animation drives me INSANE.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#6 of 48 Old 06-03-2009, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The over enthusiasm over goofiness bugs me too (and I'm pretty enthusiastic and goofy myself ), the too good to be true school, the way too good dance moves they all have, the annoying adult-pretending-to-be-a-kid voiceovers....the one little girl always sounding like she's on the verge of a nervous breakdown...

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#7 of 48 Old 06-03-2009, 10:19 AM

Yup ... just plain creepy!
#8 of 48 Old 06-03-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post
.the one little girl always sounding like she's on the verge of a nervous breakdown...
YES!

It's like they took all the different possible kinds of "weird" kids and stuck them together with a rock-singing, rhyming teacher... I still let the kids watch it though

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#9 of 48 Old 06-03-2009, 10:35 AM

Aw, man, I love Sid.

We aren't in the States anymore, so we can't watch it, but DS and I always liked it. In fact, I credit Sid with the fact that every 2 minutes DS tells his dad, "Baba, you're the BEST". (Something Sid tells his grandmother/parents.)
#10 of 48 Old 06-03-2009, 10:36 AM

I am so glad to have found this thread. This show totally creeps out my son (as well as DP and me), for all the reasons listed.

And gosh, isn't science amazing enough all on its own? Why do people think kids need adults to make it all hip-hoppy cool? My three year old would happily watch a documentary-style show on any of the subjects brought up on Sid, but he's bored by the condescending, you-are-too-childish-to-understand approach of this show.

We love Curious George though. : We planted our first vegetable garden this year at DS1's request after seeing the episode with the Italian restaurant owner and his obsession with fresh produce.

Gallifreyan nerdfighter :, doting partner to the sasquatch , mama to the boss : (10/05) and the new little one (4/14/09). :: and hoping to :
#11 of 48 Old 06-04-2009, 01:55 AM

ITA! My girls never got into it too much and I can't even put my finger on why the show creeps me out. They love Curious George, too, but lately have been in a Little Einsteins kick.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#12 of 48 Old 06-07-2009, 12:23 AM

My boys like it. They get the topic of each show and we can take it farther on our own if they want. My oldest even asked to have a journal like Sid and to do little experiments. I really like science and I'm happy with anything that introduces it to my boys in a way that they enjoy it.

But the other little boy (Jarrold?)'s voice makes me want to hit something. I just can't handle listening to that kid. I feel sorry for his "parents".
#13 of 48 Old 06-07-2009, 12:52 AM

It took some time for me to realize it, but for the most part, I think this show is soooo cool! I love the science lessons, the different friends, the teacher uses Spanish sometimes (I think?) and aren't Sid's parents an inter-racial couple?

But the voices drive me batty! Gerald, May and the grandma are so irritating. They are like nails on a chalkboard. It makes me think that only a few actors are doing many voices and they have to make each one super over the top, so that they sound different. Just me over-analyzing.
#14 of 48 Old 06-07-2009, 01:12 AM

I have a love/hate relationship with the show.

I defnitely think that Sid's parents are in an interracial relationship. His mom is clearly African American, his dad is clearly Caucasian. Sid, however doesn't seem to be biracial, I can't tell what he is.

His grandma is totally Jewish (she reminds me of my Jewish grandma, haha) and teacher Suzie appears Hispanic. I also think May is Asian.

My point is, they are a very diverse bunch and it's noticeable but they don't call attention to it and I kind of like that.

The show is a little too over enthusiastic and weird for me though. DD loves it.
#15 of 48 Old 06-07-2009, 01:27 AM

From 5 seconds of youtubing, the problem's that you've got the bright bright colors combined with all the movement made by real people. It's a really common problem with computer animation to want to motion capture every tiny thing. Nice when the art's also realistic, distracting and disconcerting when you've got dayglo colored cartoon people doing things in front of dayglo colored backgrounds.

Didn't have the sound on. But the characters *look* like they'll have grating voices.
#16 of 48 Old 06-07-2009, 08:54 AM

I never noticed them being interacial, I just thought they were aliens. I hate their voices and Lilly won't watch them.

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus
#17 of 48 Old 06-07-2009, 09:17 AM

Oh, I totally noticed all of the racial diversity....it's just...the characters are SO grating, it kind of works against it IMO.

And uh, as a PP said, just cause I hate it doesn't mean the kids don't watch it sometimes anyway... : there are some cool concepts, and I don't think it's *harmful*, I just think it's totally irritating and grating.

#18 of 48 Old 06-07-2009, 01:15 PM

Awww, I love Sid. It's my favorite PBS morning show. But then again, I tend to like weird, creepy things.
#19 of 48 Old 06-07-2009, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

It's the so-called joking that bothers me. It is not funny, at least not to a child. Yeah, the science is great but I don't find any of it to be that unique - my ds has done most of these experiments in his preschool class. And Gerald...well, that kid has issues.
#20 of 48 Old 06-08-2009, 10:03 PM

Add me to the love/hate list. I REALLY like the premise of the show. I love science. But, yeah, those kids are really annoying. And I don't like the animation. I cannot stand May's voice. Sometimes ds loves to watch it, other times he shuts it off on his own. We try to go tv-free as much as possible, but I do let him watch it every now and then.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#21 of 48 Old 06-10-2009, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It is really annoying. My kids watched it for about a month and now none of them will watch it anymore.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  11yo dd
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 9yo ds and 7yo ds
and 2yo ds 

#22 of 48 Old 06-10-2009, 05:09 PM

Ugh, I can't stand it either. And more importantly, dd thinks the show is irritating too!

She's 5, she loves science, but she prefers curious george and Magic School Bus.

flowersforyou.gif

#23 of 48 Old 06-10-2009, 07:05 PM

I watched a few episodes, don't feel particularly strongly about it. But, like a previous poster mentioned, I like that there is a lot of diversity. Also, the kids are shown as presenting differently than the average bunch, with the exception of Gabriella. You have the geeky kid (Sid), the shy kid with a 'weird' voice (May), the possibly on the spectrum, 'marching to another drummer's beat' kid (Gerald). I think, these are the sort of kids who get picked on the most in a school environment. So it's good to have them on the show to let viewers know we don't all have to be the same cookie cutter people. Grandma is pretty goofy too.

I did find it to be too loud at times though.
#24 of 48 Old 06-10-2009, 07:13 PM

We don't have a TV set, so I just youtubed it, to see what you guys were talking about. DS (4) came over to check it out, and said, within seconds of seeding Sid, NO NO NO, NOT THAT ONE!

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#25 of 48 Old 06-10-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livviesmom0207 View Post
I defnitely think that Sid's parents are in an interracial relationship. His mom is clearly African American, his dad is clearly Caucasian. Sid, however doesn't seem to be biracial, I can't tell what he is.
aren't they all yellow? or do they sound black like frylock?

i hate that its CG claymation PICK ONE!! you can't have both!!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout
4.09 and Bruises
7.11 handfasted to
#26 of 48 Old 06-10-2009, 08:07 PM

Frylock!

My name is....shake zula, the mic rula, the old skoola, you wanna trip? I'll bring it to ya.

#27 of 48 Old 06-10-2009, 08:34 PM

Ok, I'm kind of eh about it in general - but I love the soundtrack! "(boom boom boom) I love my mom (uh huh) My mom is cool (uh-HUH) but now it's time...for learning stuff in school! <insert demonic mom laugh>"

But other than that, yeah, I could take it or leave it.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#28 of 48 Old 06-11-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post

i hate that its CG claymation PICK ONE!! you can't have both!!
:

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#29 of 48 Old 06-11-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Griswold View Post
And Gerald...well, that kid has issues.
laughup
Gerald...seriously? I think he was purposefully made to represent the "difficult" kid in the class.
DS loves "Sid" too. I find them a little creepy- especially their voices.

Sheila, mother to William and Min Hee, wife of David
#30 of 48 Old 06-12-2009, 09:50 AM

I like it. I love the little dance they do at the beginning. But most of all, my boys like it. Would I watch it if I didn't have kids? No. But I remember when I was a kid and my parents would turn off a show I really liked because it annoyed them. I have a lot of shows that I decline to let them watch but this doesn't have anything wrong with it in my opinion. That is, other than being kid entertainment but it can't help that.

Mama to two boys and a girl.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page